Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UPDATED AGAIN! Bondo on New Brookville Body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLAKE, Aug 2, 2015.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Lots of paint adhession and other problems have happened from unknowing people who decided to use that red oxide as a base... It was just squirted on the bodys as a protectant ... No prep work was really done on the bodys i had ..

bondo and that red oxide are porus and would probably allow moisture to touch the metal ... It's humid where you live right?

2. Yup, they were known for a pretty crappy fit back at that time. My buddy that builds glass roadsters every year was hearing from other builders that were fighting with the fitment of those B'ville steel bodies. He always got 'em with his glass cars 'had a fraction of the bondo', when finished, compared to those bodies. But, that's what they had at the time. AND, a lot of people would fight through it to have that new 'STEEL' body.

My two cents, I've gotta say 'misrepresentation' with the bondo. Pretty plain.

Lookin' forward to seein' more build pics Blake. Thanks for postin' up!

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks, fellas.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I kinda thought Blake was gonna have the last word and leave it at that.
    Also thought Brookville had dodged a bullet on this one.......maybe not.
    I guess there is still some heat in this fire.

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Blake, you're a real gentlemen. Your build is really sweet. Move on and finish it and enjoy. Looking forward to seeing the build. Thank's for posting.

Kan Kustom and BLAKE like this.
  6. is there a build thread on it?

BLAKE likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must be wrong about the year, DDDenny. It was the same time Roy Fjastad, who sold the Stage III frame to me from the Deuce Factory, was building one also with a Buick 3.8 liter V-6. His son, Karl, went on to build the center-sections for Deuce frames, the Deuce Frame Company. I intended to buy another Wescott when I got back into streetrods in '09, but for $600 more, I bought a Brookville for $10,100. Luckily for me, I had a small inheritance.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  8. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks, again. No build thread yet, but I'll scrape my photos up and put something together.

Dick Stevens and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man you put your heart and soul into a car you buy the best parts you can and then get let down like this would piss me off .But after the dust clears you just have to punt and get back to it . I was called over to a friends house he bought a quarter from them to put his roadster and the body lines were way off after some welding and grinding I made it fit but it was not easy ! the body lines were not crisp I use a dolly and hammer a lot the quarter he took off is now on my 29 roadster it just needed a wheel well and a small patch be he wanted a new one .Now he wished I would have fixed his original panel ,but shit happens !

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe Larry T has the best overall solution. Everyone wins a little, PERIOD ! ! ! Oh, shit. I've been watching too many debates.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm SO glad I didn't take Drama in high school. Hell, I'm getting examples here on a daily basis. UH !

BLAKE likes this.
  12. BLAKE

BLAKE

UPDATE!

Just got off of a phone call with Kenny from Brookville. He left me a message yesterday... I returned it today. Basically, Kenny again explained that the RPU cabs they sold in 2007 required the bondo to address rear panel fitment issues that would otherwise had required $1500-2000 worth of metalworking to resolve... which obviously would have made the cabs cost-prohibitive. That's just how it was. Got it.

However, Kenny went on to say that (per the pics) my cab might have been bondo'd a little heavy-handedly... and that, to ensure customer satisfaction, he would send me a new replacement back panel for the cab. Per Kenny, I should be able to cut out that old back and re-fit the new 'improved' one without the need for anything more than the normal, expected skim coat of filler. A little apprehensive, I explained that my metalworking expertise is limited to chopping a couple of tops, and Kenny stopped me there to say that it should be no issue for me at all. Besides, he says... the Brookville install team would be available to consult if I hit a snag. Awesome! I happily accepted this generous offer, and I told Kenny that it really was 'above and beyond generous'. I also admitted that all I was really hoping for out of this whole deal was a free Brookville T-shirt. :D

So... BIG props to the fellas at Brookville... Kenny, Rick, and Dale... for following thru on this. They went above and beyond, so color me impressed!!

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Outstanding! I'm happy to see ALL of those bodies didn't leave in the condition your's did, and even more they were big enough to admit it and go out of their way to make it right for you. If you can chop a top and have it turn out well, you should have this panel replacement nailed. Good job Brookville..

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great news Blake.
    That is how business should be conducted.
    Now you can add another credit to your metalworking skills list.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

How much for the old panel? ;)

As contributors to the effort, I think we should all be awarded free T-shirts.

Congrats!

2racer likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

Very nice gesture on BV's behalf, glad it will work out for Blake.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's pretty damned HUGE of Brookville... I shouldn't be as surprised as I am. At the end of the day, we are all hot rodders in this industry and 99.9% of the folks in this thing are just really good folks. I guess we should add Brookville to the list, huh?

Super cool.

shawnsauto1 and The 39 guy like this.
  18. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

In my opinion BV went above and beyond, high marks for BV indeed! Way to go BV!

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Damn I wish Studebaker was still in business the right door fits like shit

20. no tee shirt?..........you got screwed:rolleyes::D

turboroadster and 2racer like this.
  21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

And THAT ladies and gentleman is how a REAL business takes care of its customers!

I suspect Blake will be a repete customer possibly loyal?!

I think Kenny's explanation made lots of sense also

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Agree with all of that... they went totally above and beyond and that really, sincerely means something.

2racer likes this.
  23. Customer service doesn't get much better than that. I am a cynical skeptic anymore and for the Brookville team to step up, take the time and effort to respond personally on a 7 year old product and "handle it" says a great deal about their business character.

24. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

25. Round of applause for Brookville! Definitely gained some respect on this end. Way to go guys, to both parties, brothers in hot rods!

26. Man that is really cool!!!!

27. Fedman

Fedman

Well done on BV for their excellent Customer support, but also well done on Blake's part by being a customer that Companies want to have & continue doing business with. Excellent result for both sides.

BLAKE and Budget36 like this.
  28. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Really happy for you Blake. I don't think it could have worked out better. Good Kar Karma period. Good for Brookville for doing the right thing. Sure glad they're building a chassis for my coupe. I feel relieved, I was getting a little concerned while reading this thread. Congrats on the way you handled the situation. That goes a long way to "making it right".

dearjose and BLAKE like this.
  29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Excellent move on B. Roadster's part. That piece of tin can't cost that much to repair a situation like this.

BLAKE likes this.
  30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Kudo's to Brookville and Blake as well, for handling this in a good manner. This should eliminate any qualms anyone was having because of this thread, Brookville definitely went above and beyond any thoughts I had about it should be resolved. Very good of Blake to make sure he posted the update so we all know how they handled it.

BLAKE likes this.