Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *** Update (w/ pics) 48 chevy truck project from hell ***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

...more like doing 1/4 mile passes.

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

We made it to Frog Follies ! ! ! !

[​IMG]

3. With out the baffles, I assume? You guys are an inspiration, and looks like you're having a good time in the process.

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

No baffles.

Putting around is bearable. It only gets LOUD at full throttle.

5. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

cool truck. I have a 48 Chevy 3600 that I am going to do about the same with

6. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

love your truck man - im tryin to decide between building a flatbed or a stakebed for my dodge - really dig the underbed wood sides you did - might have to do something similar - do you have any recent photos of just the bed? or at least close up rears of the truck? would appreciate it
    i think i want to do a narrow bed (between the wheels) but im diggin yours alot

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Pretty much all of the pics I have are in this thread.

What are you looking for? I'll take another pic for you.

8. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

thanks, but dont sweat it - wasnt sure if all that on page 4 was last update or not - i can see pretty much all with them - i cant decide if i wanna go wide over wheels like you have or do it within em, and also go stake sides, still got some thinkin to do
    thanks again tho

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Well, we are within about 30 miles of hitting the 1,000 mile mark. And so far so good.

It runs down the highway....well, like a 91 S-10 with a V8. Really nice. Pipes are far enough away from the floor that not much heat makes it to the cab.

I still need to make myself install the new side glass and seals.

10. ma70tt

ma70tt

this is the truck that got me started a little over a year ago! i remember when i bought my '48 i didnt really know what i wanted to do with it, now im on to my second ad, thanks for the initial inspiration!

Nate

11. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

its lookin bitchen flipper .Hope to see it in person some day

12. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

verry nice flipper!!

13. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Dad met somebody at the Bunny Run in jackson, TN (he was there in the 48) from the HAMB that had seen this build thread.

Anybody know who he met?

14. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

you need to pony up and upgrade your photobucket dude.

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Just did it.

16. nexxussian

nexxussian

Just out of curisoity (as I'm using photbucket too) how many pictures (balpark) do they let you have before they mandate the upgrade?

Thanks for the good thread.

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Mine wasn't a problem with the number of pictures, I have 21 pages of pictures in my album and it was only 10% of what I could have.

The problem was the bandwidth. They allow 25GB and I maxed that out on the 18th day of the month.

This was the first time it has happened to me and I have been using photobucket for a while.

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ahh, thank you.

That was why I asked, it's kind of vauge they way they do it, oh well, it's free till then.:D

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

The truck has been on the road for a year now (over 2,000 miles). There have been a couple items that have warranted do-overs: the driveshaft and the radiator.

I got lucky on the driveshaft. It turns out that a long bed s-10 shaft works on my extended cab frame with the motor set-back (less than $20 at pull-a-part).

For the radiator, I stepped up and ordered a Howe aluminum radiator. It was close to the size of the previous radiator other than being twice as thick, 3 inches taller and an inch wider.

The big new aluminum radiator is about 75% installed. Close enough that I can tell it will work.

I had to modify my previous mounting brackets for the thicker radiator.

[​IMG]

And move the mounting location for the grill supports

[​IMG]

And section the heck out of the hood latch piece. I added 2 3/4 inches and had to clearance for the filler cap. Not completely happy/done yet. I want it to look as organic as the stocker. I need to make a curved corner piece for the driver side to fill in the hole on the front. Not eactly sure what I need to do around the filler cap...needs to be smooth and flowing, but still need to be able to get the cap off.

[​IMG]

I also added a cap to the top to hide the radiator and retain the fan. (previous fan shroud was re-used, only had to add an inch to the bottom flange).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  20. nexxussian

nexxussian

You'll like that Howe, they're hard to beat in cooling perf / $ outlay.

I've had a couple (it's what's in the Anglia, modded somewhat though) I've never been disapointed with them.

Any other new pictures?

21. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Truck looks about the same (interior now has both door panels).

Here are some pics of it at the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For shits-n-giggles we had it judged at the show and shine tent :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

23. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

This thread lets me know when my photobucket upgrade expires :)

I signed up for a year this time.

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Got it together enough to drive yesterday. Man, that radiator can get rid of some heat! It does an excellent job of cooling the water. The downside is I now have what feels like 10 times the hot air getting blown back towards the cab....some of it is finding its way into the cab.

This radiator came with instructions to run a 22-24lb radiator cap. I have a 20lb cap on it now (what I had at the house). The radiator hoses swell up big time. Will a standard hose take this abuse?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  25. nexxussian

nexxussian

I've never had a problem with that, but I tend to be a bit pickier about the condition of my hoses at that pressure.

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

This is a brand new Gates hose.

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I don't really wanna hear any more "it's not traditional" after seeing all the HAMBers excited about those conestoga wagon sized wheels on your truck. Not that it isn't what folks are doing right now...and apparently you're getting a lot of kudos for their presence, but how is that 'traditional' in the lore of the HAMB motto?

dj

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

When I bought my truck, I was told my truck was a background prop in an Alan Jackson video. Check out this video at about the 1:04 mark on the righthand side. It could be it.

If you didn't notice. It was before I got ahold of it (no s-10 frame, no big wheels).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QxnN42ZC8

29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

30. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I pulled the motor to fix some oil leakes and while I was at it, I swapped cams. I took out the 350 horse 327 cam and stuck in the second smallest Lunati Voodoo cam. (I got a deal on it)

Broke the cam in to Lunati's directions...20 minutes at 2500 rpm then 3000 for 1 minute, then 3500 for one minute.....then was supposed to work down by 500 rpm steps for 1 minute.

While doing the 3500 rpm step (21 minutes into break-in...in the driveway), a hoseclap on the lower radiator hose failed and the lower hose blew off of the water pump. ....and dumped all of the coolant.

Not sure if it cooked the rings or cracked/warped the heads.

If this motor craps out...I have a good guess as to why. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009