Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Update/USPS Lost it- Lower Shaft for my Halbrand 101 QC?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 mercules, Jan 24, 2017.

1. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I bought a Halibrand 101 Quick change for my Model A. It was shipped from Tennessee and arrived in Redlands, Ca on the 1-15-2017 just a few miles from my house then it got put on the wrong truck and went to Colorado on a 9 day round trip. Today it arrived 1-24-2017 and the box was all F_ _CKED UP! When it was sent it had the housing, cover, bearings, studs and the lower input shaft. When I opened it today, the lower input shaft was missing. I wa really bummed.Does anybody know where I can find a replacement. I have know idea? Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear that. Those goons managed to lose an entire 50-1/2" driveshaft for me.

They were nice enough to tape up the empty box, and sent it along, just the same.

kidcampbell71 and 51 mercules like this.
  3. john walker

john walker

People sure pack stuff like shit. Basically the seller's fault more than UPS.

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Sorry to hear that! I've neverr had problems with them. I had problems with DHL they shattered my 1932 Model B Trans.

5. Jibs

Jibs

Hell they lost a dropped model A axle, taped the box and delivered to my customer. Luckily I insured the hell out it and we both made out.

slack and 51 mercules like this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

I have to agree. Whether it is fragile and might break or could be a projectile that can puncture the box everything shipped needs to be packed so there is no movement in the box and the box would survive a six foot drop.
    I always ship USPS, just personal preference, but have never had a damage claim. Packing is the key.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.hotrodworks.com/product/model-a-quick-change-lower-shaft-6-spline-torque-tube/

29AVEE8, wraymen and 51 mercules like this.
  8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a problem. Anytime I can help, I will do my best!

48fordnut likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

6 foot drop? No, pack something so it will survive being thrown, hard, 20 to 30 feet if it is small enough to be picked up. If you're comfortable throwing it off the top of your roof, it will be about right. Double boxed is usually the way to go. Use plenty of good packing material and tape securely, a wad of newspaper won't work.

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Was it insured through USPS? I hope so.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  12. ups insurance is a huge scam , they make it so difficult to recover funds, I fought and fought years ago and never used them since. fuck em in the neck

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

They lost 1 of 2, a 14x32-15 Goodyear Drag slick.

14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

They lost a full set of rebuilt model a houdaille shocks for me. But really the guy who shipped them did a shitty job of packing them. All that survived the journey was the dogbones

15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

The label on the box says USPS - thats the US Postal Service not UPS.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sad when the US Postal Service does a better job then UPS who's charges are through the roof. I try to avoid having UPS ship me anything. Shipping times greater then the USPS with higher rates. Fed Ex also way better then UPS in my estimation.

Gary

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My first job in high school was packing and shipping diesel pumps. Learned a lot about how to make sure my item was SECCURE in a box. I now have shipped pinstriped glass ornaments overseas and not had damage. Like said, if its good going off your roof, then its just about good enough to ship.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Don't think you can hang this one on UPS. it was shipped by Postal according to the stamp. The shipper should be blamed for using an old shitty worn out box.

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You're right! I guess I was so upset and without my glasses I didn't notice the label!

20. I try to let anybody I buy stuff from that I'd like it packed VERY well, and insured for more than the value of the item-that at least gives me a fighting chance of receiving what I ordered. I also track packages every day as USPS will send something back to the vendor without telling you if their "postal" person enters something like "business not open" in their system - seems to happen a lot on Fridays.

21. Bummer!
    Insured?
    Talk to Kevin yet?

22. Live and learn.....USPS lost a small package three weeks ago. A new GPS speedometer and my old electronic one for reference. I was returning it for a modification to add something I missed when I ordered/designed the Gauge in December. Insured the package for 300.
    The company I was sending to is in an industrial park, and the package was scanned at it's final destination about 60-70 feet from the address. (yes, they do that...record gps coordinates of scans).
    They never got it. After requesting a formal search, which thePost Office received and never replied to, I filed an insurance claim...which they DENIED because according to their records "it was delivered."..I guess 60 feet is close enough??
    They don't make it easy.
    To be clear, this was USPS (post office), not ups. Oh, the live and learn part....request a signature on the receiving end.
    edit...yes, I am appealing the denial. Not sure what to do after that is denied.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  23. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I disagree. I've been sending fenders, hoods, grilles, transmissions, rear ends, deck lids, etc all over the world and I have never had a problem with my self built crating and packing. People have even told me they have reused my crates to send stuff.

I will never use FedEx though, too many horror stories to talk about.

wraymen likes this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Been texting back and forth with him. He was bummed too!

25. 22 replies and one person answered his question

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my experience. I've never had a problem with the post office, but plenty with UPS and Fedex. Anytime I ship something mechanical (the last time was a Weiand 4-carb set up for an early hemi), I always take the time to make a sturdy wooden shipping crate. I haven't had anything that arrived damaged yet. Then there was the time a set of "555" heads disappeared between Minneapolis and Eau Claire, WI. From the responses I got from Fedex, I am almost sure an employee saw what they were and stole them. I have never had more deceptive replies in my life. They sent me 2 greasy SBC heads after a couple of weeks and attempted to call it good. I sued them in small claims court and won, and they had it moved to regular court with lawyers etc. Since my shipping clerk had signed for the receipt of the SBC heads (he didn't know what they were), I was out of luck. I'll never use them again.

27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

28. @GearheadsQCE can probably hook you up with your parts.

That sucks that the pieces got lost in the first place. I can almost feel your pain, I had an axle end up in Phoenix once on its way from Canada. It finally got here and not much to loose off an axle.

Anyway contact Gearheads I'll bet he can hook you up with the pieces. ;)

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I meant USPS and not UPS.

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just my quick $0.02. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, the Seller is responsible until the item gets in your hands, or at least on your doorstep. Even after delivery, upon inspection if something is broken or missing, it's still the Sellers problem.

This is not to bash sellers. It's just to ensure they package stuff properly and buy insurance on the shipping, two things that are outside the buyer's control.

These rules are incredibly important if you buy a whole car offsite and shipping is required. If the Seller offers to ship, then they are responsible. If the Buyer ships, then the minute that car is on the truck, the Seller is off the hook for any damages.