Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update open drive conversion for torque tube axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DICK SPADARO, Jan 29, 2011.

1. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok troops this started back in April 010 with a project on open drive line conversions for early Ford torque tube rears so here is the followup.

Keeping the HAMB nation first informed....

It seems like forever to get anything made but sometimes its worth waiting. The open drive line conversion posted last April 010 is about ready to hit the market. The goal was to get this as bullet proof as possible and as simple to install as possible. Bullet proof I'm not sure of, because somebody always figures out how to break something but simple I think has been accomplished have.

To install this all you have to do is index the splines and slide the coupler assembly on to the pinion spline. The drive yoke is captured inside the housing and does not require a pin or a bolt to hold it in place like other versions. All you have to do is tighten down the 6 cover bolts that are supplied and you have a closed drive differential converted into an open drive differential. This unit uses a stock Gm style U joint and the locating bars of your choice. Fits 37-48 Ford Banjo 6 spline pinion rear axles.

If there are any additional suggestions or requests (besides wanting one for free), speak up or PM. Hoping to be around 3 +/- .

Here is a finished product picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I have a 40 banjo, solid shaft has been cut in half, I dont want to disassemble this thing, torque tube is missing.... what are my options, obviously there are no splines...
    oh yeah, Dick, nice unit

3. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

its solid all the way into the bearings, no coupler ever, just solid.... its weird

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Mercury - looks like Ford but the pinion defines it.

Check out lowsquires build of his 32, and you can see what he did to convert it to open drive.

5. I wont ask for one for free but will you take $50? ;)

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not to be rude but it looks awefully billet.

7. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Here's the rear I'm askin about for open drive without cracking it

8. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

9. Carter

Carter

Mercury, I think

10. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Yes. Mercury. The drive shaft is integral to the pinion gear. It does not come out of the pinion gear like a model A.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'39 Merc, from what I understand one year only

12. The rear end is indeed 39-40 Mercury I have one from each year and they are both identical to yours, solid shaft right through.

13. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

You could get a Ford truck keyed pinon & ring gear and be done with it.
    open drive !

14. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

sigh.... I just wanted to weld or bolt something on, learning how to set up a rear end is something I never wanted to know, crush washers, dial indicators, end play.... these things give me the same feeling as doing my own taxes

15. Hey guys,

IMHO, All this back and forth about open drive ideas is great to read and learn from, BUT..... you haven't made many comments on the new product from Spardaro....other than paint it black. I'm sure Dick considered many of your ideas when he developed the new conversion idea. It looks like a great way to go for those of us who may not be up to speed on the more traditional methods. Good work Dick!