Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update on the poncho wagon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by injectedA, Mar 20, 2005.

1. injectedA

injectedA

See what a couple of hours here and there can get you? SERIOUSLY! with what little time I get on here right now this is why I stay here...this place keeps us focused. I'm scared. At what age do we wake up one morning as old men and say we don't give a fuck, put on the funny shirt, funky shorts, black leather shoes and socks and head out for the day in this? I do see that hood fitment seems to be a problem with this model.

2. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Pretty wagon. I've always wanted a 56 Safari. Never have understood why the Nomads were more popular.

3. Damn!... I like it. At first I thought it was just a new nose on an old Nomad and then I thought, 'why would you subframe a bowtie when you could bolt on an IFS?' Then I saw the dash. That's when I realized there is a lot of work done to that Safari. Nice job, Bill! I'm a push over for 5-spokes too.
    Bil

4. The car is really nice, the headlights are not something I would do, but close to the same type of look I am going to go for. With most Pontiacs having the headlights rusting off them, it would be an option. I have a bit of an advantage on other stuff though - mine is a Canadian built car with all Chevy undercarriage. I have Lee lenses for the Chevy taillights as well. Work done so faqr includes a 57 Pontiac rear end, rebuilt front end, and rebuilt 350/th400.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I like it. Did you do the headlight treatment because the origionals were missing or damaged? I think I would have left the origionals but your treatment certainly looks good.

Frank

6. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

wow

it sure came a long way since leaving wellington and i'm glad to see it put to use and enjoyed.

congrats

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

seriously?

8. 2-TONED

2-TONED

Hey Nice Wagon! I Like It!!!!!!!!!!! :)

9. injectedA

injectedA

OK, my apologies...last time I play at being a smartass. But. Hell no, I would not own that car!!!

10. JamesG

JamesG

I didn't think that was yours. I had a '56 Safari and saw that one for sale a bunch, kinda out of place for this board!

But this one on the other hand.......

Attached Files:

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

phew, i saw your 34 for sale and thought oh sweet jesus we lost him to boyd

12. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

The HAMB is dedicated to traditional hot rods and customs... Those headlights and the interior hurt my feelings...

14. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

i am a pretty big poncho fan, and all i had to say about that ride is, sweet jebus!!.. wtf have you done??? well to each their own, no offense buddy, but im glad i dont have to be seen in that!

BTW..if any of you poncho owners run chevy or any other than pontiac blocks, i got a pontiac 350 and a th350 that i will donate!!!...

keep it pontiac guys!, i know a 65 and up pontiac blocks arnt very traditional, but it would be alot better than just another chevy 350!!!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

uhh you did see that hes just kiddin right?

16. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Hey like Ryan said the headlights don't fit the period neither does the dash
    but who am I to say its not my ride but it still looks good to me

17. I feel so much better that you were just pulling our legs. I didn't want to say negative things so, I tried to stay positive. Phew! I'm still a push over for 5-spokes though.
    Bil

18. Bahahahahaha..you fucker! The headlights look like the car went sooooooo fast, it began to peel back the tops of the headlights! Looks like shit and I was wondering how I could gently tell you so....tailights are a total loss on a poncho although 55-56 Pontiac wagon tailights won't win any beauty contests. I always wanted to paint stock pontiac wagon tailights body color.....it's gotta help.
    I'll get slaughtered for saying this but I absolutely LOVE that dash!!!!!!! I'd hafta scale down a stock poncho wheel and wrap it in gray leather to match the other leather but the gauges are totally cool, IMHO....
    I can't tolerate red paint and the wheels need to go on somebody's 68 chevelle.
    I'm glad they didn't show the engine..I'll betcha it's a SBC with a 350 turbo or maybe a 700-R4 all dolled up with tons of billet aluminum....
    I still think I could work with that car......
    The chopped Safari looks like one a guy named "Bell" had in KC one year at the Cowtown Nats. I drove my 56 cheiftain hardtop down there and he and I and a guy named "Frenchy" [mustard and white 56 chieftain hardtop] all posed our cars together on the grass and we shot photos of 'em...I still have mine in an album....