Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update on the old Edelbrock intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I posted on here awhile back that I got an old Edelbrock C3Bx intake my my 327 project. I wanted to thank everyone that gave me information on this thing and also update with some pictures.

It started as a 40 dollar swap meet buy. The seller had broken off a thermostat housing bolt some years ago and attempted to drill it out. When he got the hole off center, he gave up on the thing.

[​IMG]

Well, I figured it was worth 40 bucks and some work. I really wanted a vintage intake for my 63 truck's 327 engine.

It took a bunch of work and hours to get the old fittings and plugs out. Then, I had to deal with the broken and poorly drilled thermostat bolt. I also wound up heli-coiling all of the carburetor mount holes too.

After all of that, I cleaned it right and powdercoated it in blasted aluminum powder then clear powder to keep it fresh looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a fun little project and I am very happy with the final product. I love this old stuff. I always think of Joe Sixpack working in a foundry somewhere back in the 60s making these things with pride and sweat. I feel that these old parts have soul.

2. I like that powder, used the same thing on my 348 and plan on using it again on many parts of the Tudor. Good work.

3. Good save!
    Now you just need a Holley 3 barrell to go on it.;)

4. I have a Edelbrock C4B that I bought back around 1978. It has provision for the oil fill in it like yours. I have often wondered when it was made, spec's, and application data. I know it was for a chevy, but what displacement and things like that.

5. Sometimes my wife teases me " Why don't you just get in the ----- catalog and order a new one?" She knows that a real part of the fun is picking it up off the parking lot at Fouts field and trying to make something out of it. New parts are just new parts....:cool:

6. power58

power58

great effort. Got me to thinking my manifold might be saved. Thanks for posting.

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice job. Wives never understand that getting something old and getting it looking and performing like new is fun for a car guy. They are women the shopping part is what they like.

8. RAY With

RAY With

End results are you have a great looking old intake. About 90% of the intakes I bought on e burp were advertised as mint condition and wound up with all the holes striped out like your unit. I keep several boxes of hell coil's on hand just for that purpose. You were lucky to get that old off center drilled bolt out and you really did a great job.

9. Yeah, but what if Joe hated his job, his boss...and his wife just left him.....that "coreshift" might be a dump he took in the mold.......:D

10. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

Hey Antique,
    Nice save on that very deserving manifold. At age 18, my first performance manifold I bought was an Edelbrock C3BX, in 1972! It went on a 283 that I had rebuilt .......... ran great:)