Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update: My Model A Vicky W/Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Dec 10, 2007.

1. I haven't posted an update lately, but I have been making some progress on my car. I think I have pretty much all the fabrication and pre-assembly done for the frame, so now I'll take it all apart to have the frame blasted and primed. In the meantime I'll paint all my suspension stuff in preparation for reassembly.

I finally finished my firewall recess. I used 1-1/2" exhaust bends cut into quarters to radius the turn that goes in as well as the turn that connects to the flat back of the recess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a simple bracket to mount my headlights to the tops of the upper shock mounts. If they shake around too much, I may end up adding an arched bar in front of the grille that connects them to stiffen things up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm using a tilt column from a 66 Rivera. I like it because it has self canceling turn signals and tilt, but no ignition switch and no gear selector – so it's really plain. I cut off the original tube (about 2-1/4" OD) and welded on a piece of 1-1/2" OD tubing to free up some foot/pedal room, plus I think it looks better. I made the round cover (below pic) to transition the tilt part of the column to the smaller column tube from a Moon dagmar and a strip of scrap sheet metal.
    [​IMG]

I shortened the length of the column and used a nylon bushing to locate the shaft in the tube. The point that the column goes through the firewall was right at the recess, so the mount at the end of the column had to be pretty intricate. I had to grind the DD end onto the steering shaft.
    [​IMG]

I welded up a few pieces of square tubing to bolt the column drop to. The dash hides the tubing and just the end of the drop shows below the dash. The dish on the 59 Chevy steering wheel allows it to be positioned closer to the dash for more interior room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I worked out my steering. This stuff's expensive.
    [​IMG]

And finally, I had to make an alternator bracket. This was necessary because I'm running a Vega steering box and I wanted to mount the alternator low. I tried a GM alternator, but it just wouldn't fit – too big. I saw on another thread that someone was using a Samauri alt. They're really small and cheap. I think the stock ones are only 70 or 80 amps, but they're available in 100 amps. So for $12 I bought a used one at the local junk yard just to try it. Looks like it'll work just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ted H

Ted H

Nice fan belt !! Kevlar fibres I assume.

Ted

3. Looks great! You can be the lead car to our out of town cruise next year. Where are we going anyway?

Love the fan belt.

4. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That's not a serpentine fan belt, it is a Byzantine fan belt! Good work and progress too. - Jeff

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dave,
    Nice work as always. I should be fabing my steering column soon. Thanks for the tip on the nylon bushings. I like the shot from the front with the headlights - looks wicked.

6. Terry O

Terry O

Nice Job! That firewall looks like Henry did it himself.

Terry

7. alchemy

alchemy

Mounting alternators down low like that has a bad reputation of breaking the bolts off in the block. Make a triangulated brace off the outer-top bolt and from the side of the head or block. Trust me.

8. Ssilver

Ssilver

Wow your vicky is super clean man. Looks like you have some nice fabrication touches going on as well. What are your overall plans for the looks/purpose of the car. Doing good so far!

9. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Dave ,looks great .....

10. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I wondered if anyone was gonna get that...

11. alchemy

alchemy

I can feel it already.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the progress report, that is still one of my TOP 3 HAMB projects and my homepage wallpaper. If you plan to have that finished in paint what color will it be?

13. Sweet firewall- like Rolf's coupe.

Elly May Clampett has belt made from a fanbelt just like yours! Cool!! ;)

Attached Files:

14. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

the fan belt look's like it's wearing a cashmere sweater!!! LOL

i agree on the firewall, that is a nice clean fab job, very cool.

you better be making that headlight bar now, those things will be shaking something awful!! keep us posted on your progress, it's looking great. mike

15. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy