Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPDATE FOUND! Minneapolis Dark Red Rose 1932 hiboy sedan.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Aug 15, 2013.

1. I couldn't agree more,how did I miss this the first time around.

I absolutely love it! HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. DAM! What a cool ending of the search for a great old hot rod....I am so happy for you to have it at last and can't wait to see what will take place now with it in your hands.....Singed up for the rest of this ride....You are putting together a very nice stable of hot rods I might add. Makes me jealous.

3. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Nice going Eric !
    That is quite a find and I know that you will make a great caretaker.
    We will be returning to the northland soon and will be stopping in Rochester first to visit our daughter and her family. I will give you a call when we're there and perhaps I could come out and see the coupe and the sedan !
    Take care.
    Dave V.

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Give me a buzz, that would be fun... Don't forget their a 40 coupe to see....and maybe I'll get some mock up done on a 29 Roadster on 32 rails.

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Absolutely outstanding.Sweet mosheen.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Roadsir likes this.
  7. Bader2

Bader2

Nice car! Glad to see it has a good home.

Roadsir likes this.
  8. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

Eric,

Looks like you are going to be the "Minnesota go to guy" for old hot rods with history!
    Great score, I liked the car when Ken owned it so it is good to see it again.

Chris

Roadsir likes this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Like you said, between the exhaust the QC the car is loud but not so bad. Dale recently had the QC gone through and it actually pretty quiet. The exhaust note isn't bad at all.

The car needs a lot of little things:
    One rear wheel cylinder is leaking, 4 bars bushings are worn out, one cracked exhaust manifold, shifter is a little wonky. I think the plan will be to take care of those issues, and a plan to get the wheel and tire combo changed. See if I can re-drill the front brake rotors for 5 - 5 1/2, so I can get a matching set of traditional wheels on it.

Longer term would be to consider updates like cross steering, instead of the mustang steering, so I can run hairpins or split bones, go to Buick brakes etc.

I don't think I will take the car back to the '58 version, as the car has some cool history of transforming, and retaining some of it's distinguishable features.

Should be fun.!

kiwijeff and 1927graham like this.
  10. Roadsir

Roadsir

I forgot to upload a shot of the louvered panel under the tank and the Quickchange peeking out.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460500416.145086.jpg

I have a video of it idling I'll try to get uploaded too.

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Nice car. Glad you where able to track it down and actually buy it.
    I think I'd remove the louvered rear pan so that QC is easier to see.

1927graham and Roadsir like this.
  12. Roadsir

Roadsir

Let's see if this works. Here's a quick sound bite... The Nailhead is actually a 401 built by Hot Rod DJ "Wings Callahan" maybe around 1980

13. 401 sounds real good!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Wings plays good music.

Roadsir likes this.
  15. Roadsir

Roadsir

Here's a few pics that Ken just sent to me.

This is a great shot. The circular decal in the window is 404 isky cam. That might be the tempest II. Next to it.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460591473.765822.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    tomkelly88, kiwijeff, F&J and 4 others like this.
  16. Roadsir

Roadsir

I need to find more pics from the mid 60's to the 70's, and With tubmans help I'll be able to post more on the ownership during this time. Hopefully soon.

In the late 70's the car morphed to a blue and black full fendered car.

According to Ken prior to 1985 for an unknown time it was owned by Bailey Jannsen and maybe Jim Stiller, and then Vince Strom from 1985 to 1994
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460591892.811345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460591993.561400.jpg

And then Ken bought the car in 1994 removed the fenders and changed up the wheel and tire combo several times before selling the car to Tim Keller in 2000. Tim had the car two years before selling it to Dale Fluegge in 2002, and I bought it from Dale in 2016

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460592321.243584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460592396.044509.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460592417.607227.jpg

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I kinda like the 5-spokes!

hendelec and Roadsir like this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

I do too...I think a dirt track tire, ET-III, and a pair of kidney beans Halibrands would look cool too. Decisions, Decisions....!

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at a couple of your latest pictures, I've got to say we've learned a lot about painting flames in the last 55 plus years!

Roadsir likes this.
  20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, looking at it today, it may not be the most refined, but I like it for just that reason. It must have made a statement, look at the guys huddled in the background, it was definitely grabbing there attention.

F&J likes this.
  21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Now yer talkin!! Would look awesome!

Roadsir and 1927graham like this.
  22. I do as well!!

Roadsir likes this.
  23. Roadsir

Roadsir

So today I got to talk to guy that bought the car from Henry Orfield, and Ironically it was the "Other" Steve Hendrickson who is a MPLS native, and on occasion people would confuse with my brother Steve Hendrickson.

Steve Hendrickson had some fond and detailed memories of the car, and was really fun to BS with. Steve saw the car advertised in the Minneapolis paper in the Sept./Oct. of 1964. Henry had pulled the flathead and was selling the car less motor and tranny and it was advertised for $450, and it came with a perfect set of fenders. He said that Marv Faw had a custom shop on Lake Street and advertised in Cars and Clubs did the chop and some of the other custom work for Henry Orfield. Marv also worked at Big Wheel Rossi, and helped with their dragster.

Steve and his buddy Tubman (here on the HAMB) flat towed the car with a 52 Ford using a piece of chain through a steel pipe as a tow bar and pulled the car from Edina where Henry lived to Wayzata. They rented a three stall garage to work on hotrod. Steve bought another buddies 55 Chev. that had a fresh 365 hp. 327 and pulled it, and mated it with a 3sp manual (because he couldn't afford a 4 speed) and set it in the 32 frame rails. He mentioned that when they were using the Miller buzz boxs arc welder (plugged into the home owners oven outlet) to weld in the motor mounts lead was melting on the frame rails where they had been smoothed up by Marv.

Tubman recalled that the rear wasn't fully welded and in place and Steve tore the rear end out of it (literally). In June of 65 Steve got married, and traded to Dennis (not sure of the last name) the car for a 63 or 64 Corvair. I think from there it went to Wendel Malin. I need to check my facts a little more or perhaps someone else can chime in as there was a connection to Ken Donahough, Glen Cunningham, and Mike Victor, during the 66-69 time frame.

Needless to say the car went through quite a few hands, and Steve remembers seeing the red and white interior out of the car at a late 80's early 90's Anoka Swap meet,, and thought it was being sold by Jim Stiller who owned and maybe built the car during this period.

Steve said later he saw the car on Wayzata boulevard at Minnetonka Pools that was owned by Bailey Janssen. So I think it went from Jim Stiller to Bailey.

It's fun tracking this stuff down......and now I can say I own two 32's that were owned by two different Steve Hendricksons!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Texas57, kiwijeff, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  24. Fun watching this unwind, as only Eric can do!

kidcampbell71 and Roadsir like this.
  25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Thank god!... Those things hurt my eyes

I remember seeing that car at Ruttles in the late 90s and thinking it was pretty bitchin , I think it had halibrands on it then , I remember it being one of the first cars I saw with a nail head ... It was for sale then , I remember hearing a couple guys saying it was a decent deal but you'd have to put a Chevy in it , cause you could never drive that old thing cross country! ... I wanna say it had blc lights on it at that time , The paint was starting to check back then too .. But patina wasnt cool ;-)

Kirk saki's 34 coupe and that sedan were my favorite cars there , I remember taking pics of them both

I think the mustang box and 4 bar look ok ... Agree it would look better with chrome bones... But so would jim Jacobs 34 ... I wouldn't change that either

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    1927graham and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, those wheels are starting to hurt my eyes a little more. I need to get some decisions made.
    Kirk just stopped over today and checked it out. Ruttle's was a happening place!
    I'll be in Irvine and San Diego next week. Any hot rod stuff going on late next week or weekend?

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I will have to check on that .. I really don't go anywhere ... Off the top of my head , donut derelicts in huntington, el cajon has a cruise night I think on wedsday? Lakeside has one also Tuesday or Thursday perhaps I think carlsbad has one on Thursday ...

But I don't know if any of those have started yet for the summer ... Escondido has a cruise night on Friday that has started and it is fairly good size ,maybe about same as south St. Paul

Another thought on your car... I remember thinking jeez that thing is HAMMERED... These days it looks like a mild chop! ;-)

Roadsir likes this.
  28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric,

Everything you have said here starts ringing bells in my memory. The name "Wendel Malin" sounds really familiar to me in regards to this car, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I guess I'm gonna' hafta' talk to Steve again.

Anyway, great story!

Tubman

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Roadsir

Roadsir

This is beyond cool,...got an email from Kevin Orfield today and he has been able to find more pictures of his Dad's 32 in various incarnations.
    Some early pictures prior to the top chop, some during the timeframe when it was featured in Cars and Clubs, including some great color shots, and more details on the interior, and several after it was primered with fenders. It was most likely sold not long after this.
    The hemi engine photographed must be from someone elses car. Perhaps some others can help identify the other cars in the pictures?
    Thanks again Kevin!
    IMG_6640.JPG IMG_6642.JPG

gonzo, deadbeat, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  30. F&J

F&J

Several of the color photos showing the "krazy flames" in "context" are just too cool.
    Imagine the impression that car made in the local area..at that time