Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects UPDATE: Am I nuts? - I guess not after all...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coconuts to Nuts...:p...Had to chuckle a bit...Reminds me of Leakie telling a nother Hamber how to fix a oil leak.

So do it solo...my missus didn't want to go on my 250 mile adventure in the Ole Hotrod so I did it solo loved it and no issues. I brought some basics but they sat untouched. Hey take a trip down buy it register and give it a workout go for a 100 or so mile trip see how it does...any probs stick in secure storage arrange transport and getter home...No issues keep on cruisen...;)

One thing also to consider is it is a mid forties car so it would be pretty roomy and ride would be pretty good as well. One of the most important things would be tires. No matter what you do take some pics actually got any?...o_O

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    chryslerfan55, Hombre and Thor1 like this.
  2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I would drive it for the adventure,
    However, I had a car shipped from Kentucky to southern Ontario for $1300 including crossing the border and all the import paperwork.
    Two days off work, a hotel room and gas would have cost me a lot more than $1300.

So you have to want to take that adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  3. To all you whiners out there....get off the fucking computer and DRIVE your hotrod, damnit!

It's a car. If it breaks, you fix it. I drove my '35 Chevy back from Orlando, Florida to Portland, Oregon. 3700 miles. Heres the story of that trip:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fly-in-drive-home-or-3800-miles-in-a-hotrod.696444/

True, I did have the benefit of knowing the history of the car, and having a chase vehicle, but I would totally do it all over again. No great story ever began with sitting on the couch. Take lots of pictures, and take your time. No need to do a banzai run across the country. No prize for finishing first. Good advice to take a couple of days and drive the car around town before hitting the road. Maybe wake up the gremlins sooner.

I'm in Baraboo. If you don't make it, get in touch with me. I'll either come help, or I know someone, somewhere who will.

4. I doubt that my sage advise on not buying a Texas or Florida car now counts as whining. Have you ever got stuck with a flood car before?

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. My comments were not directed at you. Truly some good advice there. If the car smells like a wet dog, probably best to pass on it. I was referring to the "hotrodders" that think that driving any further than the local "cars and coffee" is jsut crazy talk. 3 gallon fuel cells and inadequate cooling do not make for good road trips.

volvobrynk, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Lots of good advise here as usual. If you can accept and deal with the possible or most likely inevitable problems that come with driving an old Ford you are not familiar with that many miles go for it.

One of my buddies tried driving a 40 sedan 800 miles home a few years ago. He spent a lot of time by the side of the road with vapor lock issues and finally took my advise and rented a truck and trailer from U Haul and towed it the rest of the way home. It was an adventure and he had the time but not the skills to deal with the mechanical issues.

7. I get that. Funny story, I sold a '65 Galaxie right after I joined the HAMB told the guy he could fly in and drive it home. He showed up with an older dodge ram charger and a tow dolly, then had to get a hitch put on the Galaxie on his way home to tow his tow vehicle.

If not for the recent hurricanes I wouldn't give a second thought to taking a trip in the car, if it won't go 1300 miles it is not worth the price of admission.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, need to take a big magnet, have seller set up with a local shop with a lift and inspect it from the bottom up - even before the recent major flooding need to be very careful making a purchase from Florida (YES, I know that there are many fantastic solid rides in Florida), and other Gulf Coast areas. Just because you spend the money for the flight do not convince yourself that you must buy it - but, if everything is in excellent condition, with lots of receipts and pics showing work done then go for it - best to have a buddy go with you, never hurts to have a extra set of eyes - most cars need to be driven home, others on a trailer - friend bought "pro" built '37 Ford located in North East and started to drive it back to Northern Calif and had everything from a blown tire to a collapsed lifter and a Mustang II frontend coming apart at highway speeds - but, others have bought rides from out of State with few problems - good advice about buying tools/parts in Florida instead of carrying on plane - bottom line is it is your money & dream, do what is best for you

9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

How will modern gas reacted with whats under your hood. I would take that car around a 15 min drive to see how she rides.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk and Thor1 like this.
  10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Your not nuts, you just have nuts and just want to use them. So use um and don't worry about the non nut people. They are the real nuts if that makes sense hahahaha

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Yes you're nuts, (be happy, it's a good thing)

People have made a lot of good points.

One question though; the car has to be registered to someone legally right? Is the owner going to take on the risk of you driving 1300 miles on his insurance policy? (Even Mother Teresa might tell you to pound sand with that one)

Or are you able to get a temporary registration from your state and insure it under your name for the drive when your there, after you've decided to actually purchase the car and go through with it in FL ?

Maybe there's a different way I don't know about. (Last time I did the old "slap a different plate on to get it home", it went really badly...)

If that could all be sorted, go for it. Just bring your AAA card. Why not? You only live once.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Lots of HAMB members in Florida, maybe one could go look at the car for you and give you an assessment of it and take it for a ride lasting at least 20 minutes or a half hour. If you were there and the car was here, I'd go check it out and drive it around, just for shits and giggles. Best to get a second opinion and not just hear it from the seller.

The road trip sounds fun and would be a great story if the car is up to it. That's not crazy at all.

But I've learned not to take a seller at their word (even if they're honest, there's stuff they never caught or forgot about sometimes) and having a serious issue that can't be fixed easily on the side of the road is going to suck, especially if you can't also afford a few more days off than planned plus a repair bill.

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff here guys. I am at work and will respond to some of your questions later.

Thor

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

When my kids, who are 12 and 18, take a moment to reminisce, it is not about the time we sat on the couch and watched tv.

I also get surprised and amazed at times when I read all these "don't do it" comments about driving a car that in my childhood was just the kind of car we drove everywhere. Sometimes they broke. When that happened, we fixed them and kept going. Often the "fixes" were the most colorful part of the story.

Make darn sure it is what you want before you go out there. If you still go, and you buy it, drive the crazy thing home. It was created specifically for that purpose. If you have a kid, take 'em with. They will never forget it.:cool::cool:

15. Irvan

Irvan

Looking back from age 71 it seems like the dumbest things I did make my best stories.

16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The insurance comment is a really good point. Call your agent. In Missouri, we have coverage under our current carrier for a new (to us) car purchase for a period of time to allow us to call and get coverage established. I foggily remember 30 days, but don't hold me to that.

This is a collector car, so it would be best to make arrangements ahead of time for coverage that would be sufficient for your needs. Your agent should know what to do if they are worth their salt.

17. roundvalley

roundvalley

Drive it home. Post your route on the Hamb and I bet you will get responses from HAMB members along the way who might help in case of problems.

volvobrynk, Thor1 and upspirate like this.
  18. The only thing I'd worry about is the weather.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About twenty years ago, I flew from Minneapolis to Texas and picked up a stock restored '36 Ford I had purchased. As soon as I had gone about 50 miles, it started starving for fuel, I'd stop, look at everything, and when I tried to start it, it would start right up. This went on through most of Texas until I realized that after I filled it, I could go about 100 miles before it happened again, and from then on it got worse and worse until the next fill up, and then no problems for a couple of hours. From then on, I just filled the car up every 100 miles. When I pulled into Muskogee, Oklahoma, the bank thermometer said 102 degrees, so I found an old service station, and the good ole boy there agreed to change the oil for me (the service bay was not air conditioned). That day I made it to Pittsburg, Kansas. The last 30 miles were in the dark with no lights. When I turned on the dome light to consult my map, the main fuse blew extinguishing everything. I tailgated a semi into the next town of any size, which was Pittsburg. After I checked into the motel, I walked back to my unit, trying to figure out what to do next. I saw a couple of old cars go by so I flagged the next one down and discovered it was cruise night in Pittsburg. With no lights, I joined the cruise. I met some nice folks and had a good time.

The next day, I took off, and when I got to Kansas City, decided it was time to fuel up again. I took the first off-ramp I could find and ended up at grimy gas station in the worst possible part of town. Some of the "citizens" were eyeing my fancy car, so I got out of there as fast as I could. About 20 miles down the road, I started getting a strong oil smell in the car. I stopped to check, and found that in my haste, I had left the oil fill cap back at the station. Not wanting to back track, I took my jack knife and mutilated an empty pop can into a makeshift oil cap and took off. The rest of trip was pretty uneventful, and I arrived home (about 30 miles southwest of Minneapolis) about 6 PM.

The reason this was so long-winded is to show what a great experience it was, and therefore how well I remembered every detail. Would I do i again? Sure, if I was still 55. So I say do it, and if you're lucky you will have a few minor breakdowns and adventures. I would be willing to bet that if I had taken off from Texas and cruised back to Minnesota without a problem, I would have barely remembered the trip.

GO FOR IT.

20. Look at some of the junk Squirrel has driven all over the country! Come on, be a hero.

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

First of all the panhandle is hundreds of miles from the hurricanes. I have driven all over with old cars ,I usually send a small box of tools ahead on UPS. I go to a major parts store and buy what I might need when I get there ,Starter ,belts, ect and return them when I get home if I don't use them.The other poster was right , if it blows up rent a uhaul box truck and roll it in. Just think of the stories you will be able to tell . GO FOR IT and tell us about the trip.

chryslerfan55, Hombre and Thor1 like this.
  22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1883.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1877.jpg IMG_1884.jpg Guys, thanks for all the great replies. I have to get on a plane pretty soon and head back home but I thought I would respond to a few recurring points and questions.

Yep, I have already talked to my insurance agent and we are good to go. I do still need to send him some photos though. If I have signed title with me on the drive back, that along with my drivers license should suffice for proof of purchase. I will ask the seller to give me a written bill of sale that we both sign to serve as further proof.

I understand that the car originally came out of West Texas. The owner lives on high ground and was hundreds of miles away from hurricane Irma. The storm this weekend could be a different story though. It could have gotten wet in the past but it sure doesn't look like it anywhere. I will talk to the seller about it.

I have attached a couple photos below.

I am definitely leaning toward going for it and having an adventure. If I do that I will be leaning on my HAMB brethren if something comes up. I will also post pictures and details of the trip.

I'll respond further later. Thanks.

23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I know guys that have done it!....if you can deal with what MAY BREAK do it!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Go for it. Anything you have replacement parts for won't fail. It's the ones you don't have that will fail.

Russco, fourspeedwagon and Thor1 like this.
  26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha! So true! You can plan all you want sometimes and you often only end up outsmarting yourself.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. If the owner thinks it is a bad idea, then he knows something about the car that may break.
    If you have a week and extra parts, a buddy that has some used parts for it and you carry a jack and a lot of tools , then go for it. If it was me, I would fly in, rent a truck and trailer (u-haul) and tow it home in two days and not worry.
    If you do it, get the AAA-PLUS, it covers you up to 100 miles on a tow..
    Good luck.

28. Looks like a nice solid car. HRP

new phioto.jpg

new 1.jpg

new 2.jpg

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. I know I have posted this before but it's a great clip, only 3 1/2 mins. long.

Thor1 likes this.
  30. dan31

dan31

May want to join AAA ,if your not a member already [for towing if needed] and just to plan a safe trip check out ahead of time where you can rent a truck and trailer from uhaul should you have the misfortune of a break down. I would go for it.