Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update -5/6/12 --Anyone had this issue with a Edelbrock carb before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dchaz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Dchaz

Dchaz

My 41 was a running driving car when I got it. Here is the set up- 350, roller lifter and rockers, mother thumper cam, Holley street dominator intake, manual fuel pump, a msd blaster ignition, a electric choke edelbrock 600 carb, a 700r4 with a 2500 stall and 2.79 gears.

I've had the car for few month and the PO changed the fuel pump right before we traded cars. The car runs great around town and freeway but everynow and then you can get a strong whiff of gas and then it will start to load up bad. After a few minutes at will clear up and run great again. Also when you park it after driving, the gas will drain back to the tank ( clear fuel filter between the pump and carb) and will take about 10-20 seconds of turning over to re prime and start.

When we went to the Thaw a couple months ago I decided to run it just for shits and giggles. Do a small burnout, clear it out and stage. Hammer it and it jumps then falls flat on its face, spitting and sputtering almost dieing till about the 60 ft mark then starts to pull really strong. Out of 3 passes it ran a best of 9.98 1/8 th mile @ 81 mph with a 60 ft time of 2.75 .

Now I though maybe the fuel pump was bad but I talked with a old racer/ mechanic friend of my dads and he thinks it's in the carb. He seems to remember problems like this back when they first started becoming popular. He said he has had a couple act like this , but I have run them on different cars over the last few years and never had anything like this .
    I guess my question is what do you think? Have you had one act like this before or remember anything about this being a problem years ago?
    With the drags at yellow belly coming up I would like to get this figured out before then but I don't have the extra cash to buy a Holley for it and that not be the problem.
    Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Dchaz

Dchaz

Sorry I typed this on my phone and there where paragraphs when I typed it. I don't know what happened.

3. koepsel

koepsel

Pull the top off. You have a float needle seat that is loose. Just tighten it up and your good. Had this same prob way back when.

4. dcwest32

dcwest32

check float levels while top is off and besure you don't have to much fuel pressure,,,the owners manual is very good at providing tuning answers...good luck

5. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Replace the fuel pump too. Leaking back is usually caused by a bad checkvalve in the pump. I went through the same thing until I bought a new one. Pick up a fuel pressure regulator and gauge while you're at it. Edelbrocks don't like more than 6 lbs.

6. If you haven't worked with the Edelbrock/Carter style carbs before, remove the power pistons and metering rods BEFORE removing the bowl cover. To reassemble, put the cover back on first and then carefully install the metering rods and pistons. DO NOT FORCE THEM INTO PLACE! The metering rod tips are easily bent and then you'll have another whole set of problems to chase. :rolleyes:

7. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Had a problem with step up springs , Too much cam, low vacum,ran very rich at idel bogged off line. Lighter step up spring solved it. I did not have the fuel pump issue.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd go back through the carb and clean it as well as check the float levels, then get a regulator and gauge, set it to about 5-5 1/2 lbs. And then go from there, and get the full kit to tune the carb. A quick search and you'd see this is a very common issue with them.

9. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Never had a float problem only sediment in the bowl...easy I clean the bowl and wala...
    Its usually white powdery once the gas is out of the bowl
    But that's what has happened to me.

10. Dchaz

Dchaz

Thanks guys, I was going to replace the fuel pump this weekend, so I'll go ahead and get a regulator and gauge while I'm at it. And pull the top and check it. I pulled the metering rods out right before round up and made sure they and the air/ fuel screws where clean and the rods were free. I know it doesn't matter and I don't know how long the carb has been on it but it looks like it's fairly new.
    I have a DVD that came with a carb I bought a couple years ago but it didn't have anything on it like this.

11. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Most of the edelbrocks i've worked on had at least one float that leaked,and as said the float level is too high out of the box.These carb can't handle much fuel pressure i stay 5 psi or below,there is not enough leverage from the float to seat the needle with much more than that.The stock engine mounted pumps today differ i checked 3 and they were 8 to 12 psi,thats too much.That works great for q jets but not for edelbrock afb style carbs.Take it for what its worth but i would check your floats in boiling water.

12. Dchaz

Dchaz

Well, I put a new fuel pump, replaced all rubber fuel lines and filter. Pulled the carb apart and adjusted the floats ( lowered them ). The carb was clean. Not a speck of trash in it. Made sure everything was tight. Started it up, let it warm up and shut it off. Checked it about 10 min later... And the filter was empty. Drained back to the tank. Went and drove it around seemed to run better. I guess I'll find out at yellowbelly next weekend. But any more ideas on the draining back into the tank when it sits?

13. Dchaz

Dchaz

Oh forgot to add that they didn't have any regulators at the parts house but should have one tomorrow.

14. Dchaz

Dchaz

Put a pressure regulator on it this evening. No change at 5 psi.

15. they do boil fuel out of those percolators, had trouble in Iowa this weekend, lets see in texas is that warmer?? i rember the asphalt melting when marching on Alamo!!!:mad:
    try to run real fuel and get some insulation under that carb, if it is hard to start it boils the vapors and floods the engine
    summit had insulated spacer, i have run a 2 inch spacer to keep the heat off the carb even lowering the engine temp is a help