Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPDATE: '40 Coupe Repair is Painted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, Dec 2, 2015.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Well, I know I've been silent for a few months and anxiously waiting to hear about the repair on the back of my Chevy. It's been there since July and after all the approvals from the insurance company's the work was under way. I've been up to LoMan's Rods Shop several times to see the progression. They are very meticulous metal and paint folks. There was quit a bit of damage to repair and it looks like the waiting was worth it.

Just waiting now for the glass guy to install the rear window and replace the broken driver's window. They are also getting a stripper in to replace the "Von Dutch" type cartouche that was on the truck lid.
    I'm happy with the results and would recommend their shop.

http://lo-manrods.com/

Excuse the red reflection in the photos. It is glossy!

Left Side.jpg Rear View.jpg Right Side.jpg Trunck Lid.jpg

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

repost the damage pics so we can see what they had to do.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shiny is cool.:cool:

dana barlow likes this.

5. dan31

dan31

Looking really good.

6. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Here's the Before shots.

Damage 1.jpg Damage 8.jpg Damage 9.jpg Damage 10.jpg Damage 14.jpg Tailpan 3.jpg Tailpan 4.jpg Tailpan 5.jpg

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks great. You ought to thank the guy who hit you. That tail pan was seriously full of bondo.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Gman0046
    You are absolutely correct. I had no idea that there was 150 lbs of bondo on that car. When the chop was done by 2 old timers, I saw everything in bare metal. Still have the photos. Then a week later, they called and asked if I wanted to help block sand before paint. Little did I know they did not grind down the welds but instead did a "sculpting" job with the putty. I think the car's name should have been Michaelangelo with all the carving they did!

It is done correctly now. No more bondo all steel. I guess that's why it took so long and cost that much to repair.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats why you need a magnet when considering a purchase. I have a magnetic money clip that I use for just that reason.

10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That is more like 'Sculpting' at that point. You may have picked up a couple tenths with the weight loss too!

11. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I really was amazed that there was so much bondo in the rear area. I guess it's cheaper and faster that metal shaping.
    No one wants their car to get hit but in this case, no one was hurt, a little inconvenience worked out in my favor.

dana barlow likes this.