Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update 3: The Hudson gets "re-styled"...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I've been thrashing on the "PANTY-DROPPER" lately, trying to get it ready for Billetproof. Alas, I'm not going to make it to Billetproof this year as I am getting called away for work (I'm a catastrophe claim adjuster) to the midwest.

SO, I thought I might put up a couple photos of the stuff I've been doing on the car.

For those that have missed the previous threads, they can be found here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187556

and the chop threads here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236046
    and here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251575

So, this is what the car looked like about a month or so ago:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First things first, I had to strip the car to get it ready for DP sealer so I can do the finish bodywork. I wound up using a razor blade on the whole car. That pulled off most of the paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A bit more (a lot more) stripping produced a body in bare metal. There was a ton of bondo in the doors and rear quarters, almost a half inch thick in spots. Whoever had done the previous body work never even tried to pull the dents. There wasn't any rust under the bondo, so I lucked out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've wanted to do something with the grille opening for a long time. It was just kind of an unfinished hole in the front of the car. I had picked up a 51 Merc grille surround, and played around with a 51 Ford grille, a 53 Olds grille, a Kaiser grille bar, and finally decided to make my own surround and use a 51/52 Plymouth grille.

I used the Plymouth grille, narrowing it 4 inches. I also cut up the grille pan from the Plymouth and set it in place.
    I took some 3" mandrel bent tubing for the top curve of the grille surround.

The stock Hudson hood has a big piece of trim that runs along the front edge, and I wasn't going to use it. I bent up some flat sheet at a buddy's house so I had a lip to work with and fashioned a new front edge. Filled some holes, and rounded the hood corners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also removed the door handles and installed Lincoln pushbuttons.

[​IMG]

As of right now, the car is ready for DP. I was going to spray it tonight, but I am unfortunately heading to the airport in an hour or so. I'm SUPER bummed.

Anyhow, when I get back in mid July, I'll work on some custom fender flares for the rear wheel openings (I'm not using skirts) and get the thing painted.

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Bummer you can't make it to BP......I wanna see this car.

Big improvement with the grill treatment.....looks TITS!!!!:D

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

very nice work

4. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

good god man, it just keeps getting better!

update us when you get back!

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I love those push buttons. The grille really sets off the front of the car.

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Damn, that's a lot of work, sorry you're not going to make it to the show. What about the rest of the boys?

9. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

:eek::eek::eek: This is one of my all time favorite Hudsons.....amazing work...looks great!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

Wow, I never new Hudsons could look so good. Excelent style and execution on your part..........Mike

12. Yeah, I'm missing quite a bit. clambake. billetproof, my gal's birthday, a buddy's 4th of July party, a friends wedding, and the Mike Ness solo show I already bought tickets for.

oh well. we all have to work right?

The rest of the Swindlers will be there...ruling of course.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Keith, that looks awesome killer dude. That body's straight.

Miss you pal, hope to see you soon.

14. Keeps getting better!

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Now that is fucking cool...

16. I got an email from my buddies dad who is an all time hard core Hudson guy, and in it were three pics of this sled. You may know him, Rudy Bennett in Elpaso. It is qouted as the Mercury killer. What a short jab to a guy building one (Mercury). So bad he has given me a Hollywood Hardtop tring to persuade me????? Anyway, Im watching the build and loving every update of it. Topnotch!!!! ETHER

17. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Good work bro, the Swindlers rule!

--mika

18. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I love those Hudsons! Are still running the 308 and hydro? Edit, I got the other threads, a 460 makes a fine engine for that car, thats my favorite Hudson I have seen so far.

19. No. this is a 49 super six. It would have had the 262. The 308 didn't come along until 51. The car was just a bare shell when I got it. It didn't come with anything really.

Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

20. Miss you too Nadeem...one of these days...chances are, a Hurricane will hit FLA this year, and I'll see you then. ha ha.

thanks Ryan.

The Swindlers are choads. I did all the work myself. those useless bums.
    Well, I guess they did lend moral support. And beer.

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man you do some nice work that hudson kicks A** hope you post some more pictures as it comes together ,

22. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

keith, my panties just fell down around my ankles....wait,,,ah,,,never mind.....

23. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Favorite build on the HAMB right now. Must be torture to have to leave it.

24. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

looks great,,,there are two things about those cars im not crazy about,,one is the grille opening and the other is the shape of the back window,,,,that grille opening you came up with looks really nice,,a definite improvement to the car,,,,,,,,,my girlfriend owns a 48 hudson club coupe we are gonna start cutting up soon,,,,your threads are inspiring....i may pm you with some questions about the chassis swap at some point if you dont mind..

25. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Are you going back to a six? That would be cool with a blower, here's a link to a company with some wild Hudson engine pictures down toward the the bottom, some cool flathead Ford stuff too

http://www.uncommonengineering.com/

The coolest factory custom ever made!

26. Keith, Awesome work. Sorry your not going to make it to Billetproof. Do you have some lower maybe 3/4 views showing the new grille?

27. I don't yet. I haven't got it out of the garage yet. It had been raining on the days I took the shots. I'll post some pics when I get home after i get it in DP.

28. Big Tony

Big Tony

Freaking sweet... Always dug the lines of a Hud

29. old beet

old beet

No Billetproof???? Figered you would back down. Me and Dug were waitin for you! We will miss you, be safe!!!!.........Beet

30. Tin Can

Tin Can

very cool. i love seeing updates on this car