Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE: 1956 Cadillac Hearse - THE FRIDAY PROJECT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Friday's Gurl, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

Got the motor and transmission in and running (happy dance!!).

Next stop: windlace and weatherstriping purchase then tackling the remainder of the interior.

Patching holes in the floor and carpeting.... oh and hooking up the damned heater [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you don't know what Friday looked like when I got him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Becca

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Damn! Good progress on the old cadaver cruiser!!!

Glad to see it coming along so well this quickly! [​IMG]

3. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Becca....why put a Heater in a "Kool-It BOXtm" ?? [​IMG]
    Just sit M2 init and ask him what his favorite Roth car is?

4. HUGE progress!! Lookin really cool, Becca. As for the heater...get a couple of blankets...that's what I use. Someday I'll actually get around to fixing the heater...definitely a bit drafty in the big green rolling ice box.

5. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

[​IMG] heh.

It's about 30 degrees here...... f-f-f-f-reezing in my book... wanna drive da car without ice forming on my nose.

Even with MM in it riding shotgun, it's still not warm enough for me.

What do you think Ed would say about Friday? I think he'd like him.... I know he had a hearse at one time... must have been GREAT to go to shows - all that space to haul your junk!

B*

6. That looks great in Primer!........a real Death Rod [​IMG]-engine bay looks neat and fresh....

7. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Boy, Friday certainly has come a long way! Great work!

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

People are JUST DYING to ride in that car............ [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Looking awesome!

Someones been busy!

cheers
    MAIKI [​IMG]

10. Samantha

Samantha

Wow...what a difference from what you started with! Looks great- nice to see
    someone making progress [​IMG]

11. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

Thank you - everyone.

Progress is slower than I'd like - but isn't that ALWAYS how it works? Never fast enough, never enough money.... [​IMG]

Becca

12. Looks great Becca;can't wait to see it finished.One observation:are the landau irons mounted correctly?It looks like they might have been swapped side to side.The curve goes in the opposite direction.
    Ray

13. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Hey Friday, did you get that off a kid named Bob up around Jackson, CA?

14. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

No... got it from a guy named Otto in Temecula, CA.

Never heard of Jackson, CA?? Where is that?

Becca

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Friday, did you get that off a kid named Bob up around Jackson, CA?

[/ QUOTE ]

15. cross spring

cross spring

ooooh! i just died and gone to hell
    cool ride

16. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

Hey, Ray..

I can't wait to see it finished either!

Umm... we were discussing the mounting of the landau bars and which way they should go... Your artistic eye is showing!

I have an original 1956 Meteor sales brochure that shows the bars mounted opposite to what they are now. Yes, they look better the other way around. [​IMG]

I threw them on to see how they looked and just didn't take them off again.... we still need to paint the car so when we're ready to do that, off they go - when I reinstall them I'll flip them around.

I also need to get the correct mounting hardware. The studs that are there now are too long.... and I don't have the 'button' that screws on the stud... I will have to find a bullet nut to replace the stock buttons - temporarily at least.

It's all those LITTLE things that add up and keep a project like this on a long term schedule..... Last nite I discovered that I'll need to put the front headliner in before I can start on the rear interior but I can't put in the headliner with the windlace (windlace is installed before headliner)..

B

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks great Becca;can't wait to see it finished.One observation:are the landau irons mounted correctly?It looks like they might have been swapped side to side.The curve goes in the opposite direction.
    Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

17. Although I'm not a fan of cars like this( I really don't get it). What you have doen so far is VERY impressive. What I do know Is each one of us here loves to fix up old cars to our liking. And the type of car each of us choose shouldn't matter to anyone else. What I see so far with the addition of a later model engine and trans. bodywork and talk of rediong the interoir is what impresses me the most.

You are doing a GREAT job on the car and it looks like it will be a fun save and dependable car.

Keep up the good work Becca [​IMG]

18. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

I've always loved hearses and limousines... I can't even tell you why exactly... I also love old Cadillacs and 55-57 CChrysler Imperials.

Like you I have my least favorite automobiles - 56-57 Chevy Belairs and 64-up Mustangs are my "I don't get it" cars.

This morning I've decided to attempt to make my own windlace - it is similar to welting so it shouldn't be all that difficult. I've never done an interior in a car before - this will be my first attempt. It was pretty easy to take out and hopefully it will go back in smoothly.

Thanks for the kudos... it will be a fun car when it's finished.... a semi-daily driver.

Becca

[ QUOTE ]
    Although I'm not a fan of cars like this( I really don't get it). What you have doen so far is VERY impressive. What I do know Is each one of us here loves to fix up old cars to our liking. And the type of car each of us choose shouldn't matter to anyone else. What I see so far with the addition of a later model engine and trans. bodywork and talk of rediong the interoir is what impresses me the most.

You are doing a GREAT job on the car and it looks like it will be a fun save and dependable car.

Keep up the good work Becca [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

19. Becca, Most trim shops make there own wind lacing anyway. You can buy the raw cord in different sizes and use viynal or fabric to wrap it.
    it can be sewn or glued. Glueing is the preferred method because there is less chance of seeing the stiching. Just cut the material wide enough to wrap the inner cord and leave enough to stapel or screw around the jamb and using contact adheasive spray it up let tack and fold it over tight and "Presto" you have windlace.

Good luck

20. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

Oh, ok - I was going to break out the sewing machine but if gluing is better, I'll do that.

And you are right - I'm finding that most places make their own windlace -

I'm not particular about the fabric (or woven material that is on the car now) as long as it's black.

Thanks!

Becca