Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Up that smelly brown creek.... need a W&H DuCoil cap....Please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

My luck has run out. A big old crack developed in the cap on the DuCoil I'm running on the 31 Cabriolet. I know how rare they are and I'm hoping that maybe I can talk someone out of useable one. Or two. I'm willing to trade cash, machine work or my soul.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Wasn't someone making those awhile back?..Like a year or so ago?, or maybe is was for H&C?

Is three question marks too many? :)

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

If it helps me get this car back on the road you're welcome to use a thousand question marks!!

Budget36 likes this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Buy the one on ebay right now, sell the distributor itself but keep the points, rotor, cap and two big condensers.

5. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I found an un-sold listing and I'm waiting to hear back if they'll deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. swifty

swifty

There was a guy in Australia that bought up a pile of NOS Du-Coil stuff but his prices were high. If you do a search on here there was a post that had copies of my installation notes, listing of parts from an old Weiand catalog and maybe the name of the Aussie guy with the NOS bits.

7. john walker

john walker

Use a small drill bit or a dremel tool and drill along the crack to remove any carbon and fill it with epoxy. We save worse things than that. Even if you had to open up a line all the way through to the outer surface, you could save it.

8. alchemy

alchemy

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

An evening of web surfing has me believing I can save this one.

missysdad1 and turboroadster like this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes, no doubt it can be saved this way. Let me know if you'd be interested in a very appropriate epoxy material that you might not run across in the general marketplace. I don't sell it, but I use it in my business to great advantage on many materials. PM for info.

11. Top Secret Epoxy?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

270dodge, Truck64 and Paul like this.
  12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I went for it last night. Used a tiny little carbide burr in a pencil grinder to vee out the crack and filled it on with regular old slow setting JB weld. I'm going to leave it cure for a couple of days before trying it on the car but it went much better than I expected. The Bakelite is very brittle but didn't seem to mind being ground on. I put quite a bit of epoxy with the reasoning that if some is good, more is better and it shouldn't interfere with rotor travel, plus, I can always grind it back a little if need be. I'll update once 'the glue dries' and hopefully the car doesnt misfire all over the dammed place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Awesome. Have fixed off topic bakelite grips on WWII and Korean era original COLT 45 pistols, in the same manner, per se. I mat the backs with a fiber net material, and epoxy-ish smeg'. Obviously, my sparks are in the chamber, not in the grips, and I'm sure netting would upset your spark throw anyhow.

Basically Nick ..... good frekn' job, man !!

stillrunners likes this.
  14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Just got it all put back together and fired it up. Seems to be working like a champion. I'll road test it tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead and Paul like this.