Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Up in smoke ~ Hot Rod burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2020.

1. I’ve seen you run at Beaver Springs a few times. It brought a smile to my face to see an American Motors powered car running with the best of them.

Deuces, Ron Funkhouser and Don Moyer like this.
  2. Thank you! That motor has been amazing!

Deuces, wraymen and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Found this one from a few years ago.
    IMG_2364.JPG

slayer, AHotRod, vtx1800 and 6 others like this.
  4. Thanks corncob, This is a fun thread.:) { A STORY } When we moved into our new home, almost 30 years now. It has a 30' x 35' garage. I looked at the new concrete floor. First thing I did was to back my 29 coupe in and do a burnout. My wife heard it, and came out. She asked what I was doing? I told her I was just marking my territory.lol My driveway is full of black marks from me, and friends. Don't get me wrong, there is a time to do a burnout, and a time NOT too. I think Hot Rods, and burnouts go together like peanut butter and jelly. I know an action shot or it didn't happen! lol Ron...... 109.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  5. Deuces

Deuces

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Then pay attention ;):D

Deuces likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That Coupe is the definition of NASTY. I love it

54delray, Deuces, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  8. There was nothing like a Saturday afternoon burnout contest at the old gas station where we used to hang out. A good set of Mickey Thompsons seemed to make the most smoke! Alas the gas station is an H&R Block now and most of the muscle cars are scrap.

WC145, saltflats and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

If you got something that will light a decent size tire, rolling at 30 mph, then you have something. Setting still, burning up a set of tires, or 1 tire, anyone can do. A friend in high school had the longest black mark in the county with a 6 cyl, PG, nova.

LOST ANGEL and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

My '57 Chevy PU will spin the tires at will, I maybe did a few show off burnouts back in the day, but I was always more concerned about not spinning the tires.

That said, I do like to see a good smoke show!

11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. I guess I should have been more clear. That's not me. That's not my car. It's just a miscellaneous pix I had in my files.
    I, too, hope all involved have had many better days.

13. squirrel

squirrel

not a very good one, but good enough for the cover of Hot Rod :)

cover.jpg

chevy57dude, Cooon, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  14. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My SBC powered Plymouth is certainly capable of doing burnouts, but it's not gonna happen. My car and I have a mutual agreement....I treat her right, and she treats me right. And for over 10 years, we've remained true to our agreement. Not gonna change now!

Deuces and 210superair like this.
  15. ciscokid

ciscokid

El Camino Real South San Francisco in front of Gotellis speed shop's last day of business at their original location since 1962. They have since moved to San Bruno. This was an epic day! Screenshot_20190601-181139_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20190601-181220_Drive.jpg 20190407_234348.jpg

chevy57dude, 54delray, slayer and 5 others like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

17. Speed~On

Speed~On

In my friends parking lot:D

IMG_20210113_141430_317.jpg

18. earlymopar

earlymopar

19. ciscokid

ciscokid

20. silent rick

silent rick

i am a burnout

Rickybop, jim32 and Deuces like this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

22. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Here where I live most of the local car guys like to do what my buddy and I call “Putt, Park, and Sit”..... Years back we actually drug a couple cops into the local PPS on a Friday night, seems they weren’t really happy with our spirited acceleration down the street into the parking lot! After a couple minutes of convincing them that I had never broken my tires loose and was driving the speed limit, just maybe I had gotten to that limit quickly they decided not to slap the cuffs on us. You should’ve seen the stink eye we got from all the Putt, Park, and Sitters! To be fair to them, their hero hot rodder did have a fake blower on his car! Really wish we had more hot rods and less power-parkers.

WC145 and fastcar1953 like this.
  23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Anyone else note how he wet the tires down in the grass?

24. Yup

25. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

26. Guess I'm just a grumpy old fossil, but this reminds me of flamethrowers and dudes jumping their air bagged lowriders off the ground. Seems like a waste of time and money.

Deuces likes this.
  27. gene-koning

gene-koning

That is what is nice about this hobby, we each get to choose what we want to do with it.

My V6, 5 speed, powered Plymouth coupe has proven its capable of doing burnouts (and getting rubber in 2nd gear), its done both a several times in its past. My car and I also have a mutual agreement....I built it from a pile of rubble, I maintain it, and I replace its parts as needed, and I keep it in pretty good condition. From this labor and cash investment, I expect it to give me good service. I drive it any way that pleases me. For 10 years, and 88,000 miles, we have maintained our agreement. Not going to change now.

I just got my latest project on the road. This latest project and I have the same mutual agreement as the coupe and I have. Last night, on its first trip out of the garage, after it reached operating temperature, I stopped at a stop sign. No one around but me. I floored the gas pedal, and was rewarded with spinning tires (two, not one). Not a long smoky burnout, more of a lets see if it will spin the tires sort of thing. Without much doubt, the only thing stopping a real smoky burnout will be my decision.

To me, having a hot rod means it will perform the way I choose to drive it, weather that is doing burnouts, going 1,000s of miles on vacation, or driving it to church. Gene

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've done a few in my time, never my thing but have a few funny ? stories about cruises and beer, never a good combination IMO. #1 A weekly cruise at a restaurant/bar, end of season, free burgers/beer, at end of day as guys leave, big time "Light um up", one senior was still turning as he jumped it and did a 360 before he let up, off the road and hit a small tree, very little damage but his wife was PO big time, Chewed his butt out and she never came with him again. #2 a nice cruise, big place, tavern/restaurant/sports facility/huge parking lot, would pull 100/150 cars. $1 beers/$2 burgers or brats on cruise night. So............. when leaving it got be a 1/8/1/4 mile blast out in front, nice straight road, edge of small town, The local Sheriff shows up one evening and walked around and talked with everyone warning "Behave Yourself" We will not tolerate this behavior. Too many $1 beers, did guys listen ? No................ End of night, same deal, guys blast up the road, after a short time someone came back and stopped everyone leaving warning, as the sheriff and crew were up the road and arresting guys, putting their cars on flatbeds. I know a guy that was arrested that night, between lawyer, fines around a $2500 date plus the following insurance problems I'm sure. #3 At a car show when Dodge Vipers were first showing up a man after a few beers was going to show us the burnout of the century he stated, maybe went 100' or so, lost it, a 360 in the ditch and out across the road and hit a power pole, he was OK, car not so much. Moral of story, beer and horsepower not a good decision. Side note, I got to drive some Vipers and the Torque is unbelievable, you feather it all through first gear, second gear and at 100 mph in third you still got to be careful, I was told about 80% of the Vipers were crashed, not a car for a rookie/novice.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021