Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unusual T - Hucks aircraft starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonneville, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Thought you might be interested in this unusual T. When I first heard about it I thought someone was talking about an aero-engined T which grabbed my attention. Not quite the same thing but worth a post.

The British military forces were a good customer for Ford and this is one example...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't quite squeeze in the whole information board in the frame but it's easy to figure out how it works. The photos were taken at the Flying Legends show in July 2010 at Duxford in England - it's probably the best warbird show in Europe, particularly since it takes place at an old RAF and USAAF base.

The aircraft next to the Hucks are 1930's Hawker biplanes - Nimrod, Hind, Demon and Fury. Not so long ago none were airworthy - restoring these Silver Wings must be a true labour of love in steel, wood and canvas.

Regards

Jon'.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  2. WOW, that is really tits! Thanks for the info.-MIKE:eek::cool:

3. RussTee

RussTee

they are restoring one of these at wigram airforce museum here in christchurch NZ

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey! What about the Bulldog and the Lysander on the end?

It was a Bulldog that Sir Douglas Bader (Pronounced Ba-H-der) lost both of his legs in. If you don't know who he is do yourself a favor and look him up, lost both legs in the crash but still managed to re-gain pilot status in the RAF and went on to shoot down 22 German aircraft before being shot down over Le Touquet France and becoming a POW. He spent much of the war in the infamous Colditz Castle where he became such a 'dangerous' prisoner that extra guards were employed just to look after him!!

Yes, he is a hero of mine!!

Doc.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On closer inspection I think the second from last A/C is a Gloster Gladiator.

Doc.

6. Very cool! This should also be posted on Ford Barn if not already.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is slicker than snot...what a cool piece of history.

8. storm king

storm king

The Japs also had a truck like that to start their aircraft in WW2. Ver cool to see one today here though!

9. sdluck

sdluck

10. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

The Kestrel is my favorite v12...

Attached Files:

11. Great story, thanks for posting.

12. Kume

Kume

I think that is the Hucks Starter T at the Shuttleworth aircraft Museum in Bedfordshire. Shaft driven of the back of the gearbox. Supposedly the first ever mechanical starter device for aircraft. The Shuttleworth Museum is my all time favorite aircraft museum.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  13. Truckedup

Truckedup

The Russians used Huck type starters in WW2,air and or mechanical.Reliable electric starters were beyond their engineering supposedly

14. Kume

Kume

just found this period photo of one in NZ.

Attached Files: