Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Unusual flat head casting numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tedsgoldmine, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Recently I have seen an old pre 52 Fordson Thames truck with unusual flat head casting numbers.
    They read as 81A HH up on the top edge and USA 20 down on the bottom edge.
    I can't find any information about these head types anywhere other than a member here mentioning that those in the casting plants often had fun and created there own numbers.
    Personally I suspect HH might be heavy haul...any thoughts?

With thanks

Gavin

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had decoding Ford casting numbers explained to me when I worked in parts at a Ford New Holland equipment store in one of my former lives but Can't remember a lot of it. Part of the code should tell what the cast part is though.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The operative number here is the 81A, a head used about '38-41 with many variations not affecting CC's or anything rodding. Big chamber, low compression. USA/Canadian 24 stud motor, I think if British built truck would originally had essentially a 1937 truck engine with 77 prefix heads, and engine built in England til about 1954.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Coupla other things: Blocks and heads with lots of extra letters and numbers not relating to the original PN are usually parts made for service use long after the production use of the engine...I guess short runs of parts for the replacement bins caused the foundry to put in all sorts of date and batch codes.
    81 A type heads generally had just that prefix to identify them on the face, and had full part number like 81A-6049 cast on top edge against the manifold.