Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Untwisted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, May 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Is there a way i can untwist this line?

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure, be sure to keep track of your time, and pay yourself when you are through.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I’m in the “no” group.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another no

olscrounger likes this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

X3 only choices are cut it off and redo or make new line from scratch if you do not have the length .

rc57 and olscrounger like this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If its a matter of getting home or not, yes, won't look nice but can have brakes.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. Hard to tell if brake or fuel line. If brake, x4 for no. If low pressure fuel, you could try heating it cherry red and slowly untwist it, allow it to cool, take the coupling apart, heat it again and tap a smooth rod inside to round it back up. Then check the flare with a tool. It will be brittle in that area though.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. That twist has caused some metal fatigue. Twisting it back or opening the I.D. in any way will cause more metal fatigue. The result will be a brittle, weak, accidentally-on-purpose waiting to happen.

9. Only if you're Penn & Teller!

cfmvw, hotrodjack33 and Bob Lowry like this.
  10. Get a drift punch the same diameter as the ID of the line. heat the line and drive the punch past the twist. That will take the kink out.

Now the next step and this is very very important, replace the line. It is no longer a viable component. But it is untwisted.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Replace. It's junk. JMO

Gasser 57 and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't even attempt to straighten it out, use the line as a pattern and make a new one. It's just flat not worth the time screwing with it to try to save what amounts to pocket change.

borntoloze and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  13. Not worth the effort.

borntoloze likes this.
  14. SS327

SS327

Nicopp line is cheap compared to you or your car.

41rodderz likes this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This is the definition of “twist and shout !!!” €#*•*~\]ggr$&@

HotRod33 likes this.
  16. twenty8

twenty8

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be playin' with it...........o_O

17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

^^^^ This! This answer works for a lot of the questions on here!

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Lets see....if you have the answer, you wont post on this forum and if you dont know the answer you shouldn't post either...I think the owner of this site should read this post and shut the site down. Whats the point of a forum?

Paulz likes this.
  19. Relax, John. No one is shutting down the forum. And, if you think THIS is the worst thread on the H.A.M.B., keep digging, my friend. And while the forum seems to have spun off into a "lets eat the newbies" venue, there are still a shit-ton of folks here willing to help.

Sadly, sometimes to get answers around here you have to weed through the BS and the backbiting. Don't pay attention to it and let it roll off.

--

You're NOT going to be able to untwist that without either snapping it or cracking in on the seam.

I double flared and hand bent every inch of brake line on my truck. If I can do it... well lets just say, I can't imagine anyone being dumber than me. :p

Making your own double flared lines is pretty easy and straightforward. Pre-made lines rarely come in the exact length you need. Therefore, get on Amazon or the like, buy a roll of brake line in the size you need, remove the old one, use it as a guide to bend up a new one, leaving it about 3/8" heavy on both ends.

Then, use a DOUBLE FLARING tool. I can't stress the DOUBLE FLARING part enough. You can't run a single flare brake line. It WILL leak and fail.

https://tinyurl.com/2p97rhjh

https://tinyurl.com/82j2ev92

https://tinyurl.com/yfpsfwph

If you just want to buy a line from the part store, you'll have to figure out how to bend it so the left over isn't getting in the way of anything.

One more thing: NEVER-NEVER USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS ON BRAKE LINES! -AND- NEVER USE COPPER TUBING FOR BRAKE LINES -OR- FUEL LINES!

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  20. That's totally fucking fucked, mate!

rusty valley, Dedsoto, Tman and 2 others like this.
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am curious if the malfunctioning vice had any part in this?

22. Not worth the trouble, you can fix anything as long as time is unimportant, but why a new line doesn't cost much. HRP

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  23. Strange, based on the direction of the twist, it appears to have deformed during tightening not the more common (to me) loosening.

My answer is no. Can't be untwisted (or should I say "I wouldn't waste my time trying") ... replace.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

If this is directed at my post, ok, here's my answer.
    Your question should have been 'Is there a way I can untwist this line and for it to still be a safe option ?'
    NO. Not worth the potential compromise in the braking system. It is an easy and inexpensive replacement.
    My comment was more related to the fact that this should be obvious. It's the brakes.... don't skimp.

And as for people not posting answers, how many noes do you need???:) (Note smiley face - No malice intended)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    nochop likes this.
  25. Simple enough to cut and re-flare it. Why bother fooling around.

Ned Ludd and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Its not brakes, its a vettes fuel line, 10psi

27. All the more reason to try a questionable fix....................I mean what could go wrong with fuel, electricity and heat!?!?!

VANDENPLAS, X-cpe and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. Here is the deal. I have straightened things including hard lines in the past. Age and prudence tell me that I should have left them and replaced them. Sometimes in our youth we discover that the lack of liquid assets and youthful exuberance causes us to do things that we probably should not do.

The HAMB can be a dangerous place to play. Sometimes we post things that are not considered to be appropriate, either because of the danger or skill involved to pull it off with a good outcome, or because someone may find them to be unkind.

My advice is this, reading and playing on this playground should be like eating fish soup. Ya just got to eat the fish and spit out the bones.

29. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Being it's a Vette I'd probably just be thanking god I wasn't doing the rear trailing arms.

blowby likes this.
  30. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hmm, an old Corvette part. So, I assume that you are trying to retain the original line if you can.
    In a pinch, I have straightened out fuel and vacuum lines before.
    You need to exert force in the opposite direction of the twist. If the line isn't long enough you could clamp it between two pieces of wood and use that as an extension handle to rotate it clockwise with the fitting clamped tightly in a vise. Use your thumb or something to apply opposite force at the top of the damaged area to be sure that it's a rotational force, not a bending force you are applying. You may have to go a little beyond. Note; it could also just bend in another location wherever the weakest spot is. Watch closely, you may need to apply some heat to the twisted area.
    Once it's untwisted, you will probably have to separate the fittings and use a punch or piece of rod inside to bring back the diameter. Tap it in and use a small hammer and a hardwood block to tap the high spots on the outside back into shape. With a little patience and care it should be back in shape. It will undoubtedly have evidence of the repair no matter how careful you are, so if you're trying to save the patina you may be wasting your time. I would inspect it carefully for cracks and keep my eye on it closely.
    Personally, I would try to replace the line for safety's sake, but you asked if it could be repaired and that's how I would do it. I also save old fuel and brake lines (in good condition) to be used in situations like this. I'm weird like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.