Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unpopular Science

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First the imagination then someone steals your idea and makes it big...sometimes 50 years later...:oops:

I recall many Real deal Vehicles that look to be those in the Art...perhaps they were inside as reality at that time or someone made them after the fact...

tractorguy likes this.
  2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a sign of the times...it's taken a while...but they can still survive in a digital world. It takes thinking minds just as it did to get them to where they are...I wish them good fortune.

Update...I just read the article at the link, you are correct in that it even in it's digital being it is perilously grim it seems...from an enterprise to less than a cleanup crew...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  4. But in spite of your parents best efforts you still turned into one of them irresponsible hot-rodders. That'll learn 'em! :p

CSPIDY and Toms Dogs like this.
  5. Here's a H.A.M.B. friendly article from the December 1949 issue:

Popular Science - December 1949 - cover.png
    Popular Science - December 1949 - page 131.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1949 - page 132.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1949 - page 133.jpg

6. Here's another H.A.M.B. friendly article from the September 1952 issue:

Popular Science - September 1952 - cover.png
    Popular Science - September 1952 - page 142.jpg
    Popular Science - September 1952 - page 143.jpg
    Popular Science - September 1952 - page 144.jpg
    Popular Science - September 1952 - page 145.jpg
    Popular Science - September 1952 - page 146.jpg

7. Here's yet another H.A.M.B. friendly article from the December 1959 issue:

Popular Science - December 1959 - cover.png
    Popular Science - December 1959 - page 95.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1959 - page 96.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1959 - page 97.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1959 - page 98.jpg
    Popular Science - December 1959 - page 218.png

8. My dad had stacks of magazines in the attic, I learned how to read on them. As the twig is bent... so grows the tree.

Now nobody likes to read, even looking at pictures is passe. Publications are bloated with ads. Nobody wants to build those crafty items that the magazines had plans for. My dad made some and they were cool. Today, everything is instant, people do not like to work for cool things.

Fordors likes this.
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The poor dog's owner apparently got bounced out of the car just second before, left some garments behind . . . perhaps this is a bad dream? That could happen to you. Imaginative, you bet!

tractorguy and Stogy like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I liked it,enjoyed both, along with also Popular Mechanics. Dad got both,so I'd read what ever looked the most interesting. A lot is being lost now days,an being old (81) like me,seems sad from my point of view. !

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I have a bookshelf full of Popular Science magazines, mostly from 1945 to 1965 but also some going back to the 1930s. I once brought the issue posted by Rolleiflex with me on an airplane flight; I left it on my seat when going to the restroom and when I came back the guy in the row behind me was reading it. :) My dad had subscriptions to Popular Science and Popular Mechanics when I was a kid, I loved reading them. My favorite part was the monthly stories from Gus Wilson's Model Garage.

Fortunately, Google Books has every issue of Popular Science as well as Popular Mechanics available for reading (all the way back to May 1872 for Popular Science, January 1905 for Pop Mechanics.) However, reading them online just isn't the same as holding one in your hands, feeling (and smelling) the aged pages.

12. BJR

BJR

Stogy likes this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

tractorguy, Sancho, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Damn man. There was always a stack of those around my house and my grandpas house when I was growing up. I learned about all kind of stuff from them and Popular Mechanics.
    that is where I learned about the experimental SR-71 that might exist, complete with drawings, and the X-15.
    hate to know its going.

tractorguy, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Making kustoms the traditional way - with lath and plaster!

upload_2023-11-30_16-4-29.jpeg

tractorguy, Sancho, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I read a number off them off the bookmobile when I was in 5th and 6th grade along with reading every issue of Hot Rod that they would let me check out at a time as I think they had a limit on how many you could check out at a time. There was a big stack of Mechanix illustrated in a house we rented on Bainbridge Island in 1959/60 and I pretty well wore those out reading them.

tractorguy, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6961.JPG DSCF6962.JPG DSCF6965.JPG

I found a copy in Dad's workshop, may have been the first photos of Hot Rods I ever saw, cut them out and taped them to a scrap book. Found a full issue but I'll save the time looking for it, a HAMB member will post it. I've seen two of the featured cars, restored to their former glory.

tractorguy, Stogy and lurker mick like this.