Register now to get rid of these ads!

universal heaters??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glassguy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. glassguy

glassguy

hey guys.. im lookin for a heater for my model a coupe pronto !! as there already calling for friggen snow by weeks end.. i usually use the small heaters from nite prowlers that work great, but the price has shot up to 150 bucks. so i did an on line search that showed some similar for 70 - 100$ so i was wonderin if anyone tried some of these cheaper units. i know theres some cool old southwind type units in the classifieds , but i mount mine sideways and run the heater hoses behind the kik panel and along the frame so the firewall stays clean. so ther a lil to bulky to work for me. also dont want to worry about an old heater core, thanks for any help .. dave

2. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

If you didn't mind using an old heater core you could go with a buick under the seat heater. They have a round heater core that mounts to your floor board under the seat. I also have a Sears and Roebuck universal Deluxe heater. It just needs a new heater motor that I will let go of for a small fair price.

3. I've got a small 12 volt electric heater that you can have, just pay for the shipping. It was in my '46 Ford Business coupe. It's made by Autotek (?) and is adjustable, has two speed blower. JC Whitney sells them for $24.99. Plug has been removed and would have to be wired direct. Here's a picture...

Attached Files:

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

A lot of old heaters have a lot of charm that would fit right in with your model A.. You can upgrade them with 12v Computer or similar fans and save a lot of space.. Plus they are traditional....

5. I stuck a new heater into a 46-48 Ford heater enclosure for my avatar - works great ..... please excuse the lousy pics ....

Attached Files:

6. glassguy

glassguy

thanks guys fro the replies already. im a little short on room also coz im still running the stock cowl gas tank...

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

8. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I have an old defroster my grandfatrer used on his winshield on his 37 buick, it had some clips it that stuck to the windshield and some crude "toaster elements". Im not sure if its something he made. It looks to be run off 6v. Im gonna have to look for it now. Ill post my findings.

9. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

I had a daily driver 62 buick and used a propane tent heater(not the safest or recomened thing to do.) due to the heater core was getting rebuilt. Why do they allways crap out in the winter?

10. glassguy

glassguy

wow tinman that looks awesome!! ive always wanted to do something cool like taht with an old heater.. but for now i want to order something today, and have it to throw in this weekend. cruising season comes to an abrupt halt here pretty soon!! yeah i know i could tuffen up, and put on a jacket, but that just aint no fun to me!! lol

11. glassguy

glassguy

tom yours looks fantastic as well!!

12. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Mine's an old TROPIC-AIRE. Picked it up at a swap meet. Of course the car isn't done yet. :|

Pete

Attached Files:

13. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

I got one from Southern Rod parts,mounted it under the dash and ran the hoses thru the side kick panel. Three speed fan,switch under the dash also. I put a valve on the inlet side hose,so I could shut it of in the summer. Works great.

14. 5window

5window

Vintage Air makes a nice,heater only or heater with Defroster, that would fit under your A with the stock tank. I've got one I bought from another HAMBer to go in my '31 coupe, but I haven't figured out the defroster hose outlets yet. Of course,it isn't cheap, or period correct,but it is warm.

If your A is like most, there ain't no such thing as "under seat".

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Another way to get some heat is buy a seat heater and have it slipped inside your seat upholstery. I love mine in my Chevy and nobody knows it's there. About $100 per seat on ebay when I bought mine.

16. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Speedway has a nice lookin under dash heater for a very resonable price..check em out