Register now to get rid of these ads!

Universal heater switch wiring???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Hi all, second to last switch I need for my 55 Dodge 1/2 ton...converting it to 12 volts and have a new 12 volt heater fan (2 speed) to put into my Truck Master MOPAR heater box...anyways, here's the thing, got this GROTE 82-2105 universal 2 speed heater
    switch from work and was looking at finding a wiring diagram online at GROTE..no dice. It has one power in terminal, and four others... two linked and two not....
    see pic below...

http://grote.com/cgi-bin/goc/goc.cgi?product_number=82-2105

Here's a link to the webiste and switch info...

Any help would be much appreciated! I don't want to start more heat than I should :D

Thanks,
    Derek

Attached Files:

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That looks like a universal headlight switch to me. It might work if the heater has a low speed wire and a high speed wire coming out of it. (2 separate windings)

The 12V feed goes to the screw on the end of the fuse...center rear.

You'll have to use a test light or an ohm meter to determine which of the 4 side terminals gets voltage and when they get the voltage. If all the terminals get voltage when it's all the way out (some do, some don't) then I don't think it will work for your needs.

If you want to pull one click for the slow speed, check to see which side terminals get voltage on the first click. (there may be more than one hot terminal) Use one of these for your low speed connection. This terminal should go cold when you pull it to the next click.(high speed)

Pulling it further will apply voltage to other terminals. (high speed) just make sure that the first terminals don't stay hot when you go to high speed. You'll only need 1 terminal for low speed and 1 terminal for high speed. Run a wire from one of those terminals to the appropriate wire on the heater. The other terminals will just be unused extras.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yup, tell us about your heater fan motor, does it have one wire? two wires? three wires? what's it out of? or for?

Many universal heater fan motors have two wires, one orange and one black, you connect one to ground and the other to +12v. Which one goes where depends on which way you want the motor to turn. To use this type motor, or a single wire motor, you need a switch with a resistor in it. I'll see if I can find a part number.

Many universal AC fan motors have 3 or 4 wires, perhaps red-yellow-orange-black, each wire is a different speed. This might work with that switch you got?

4. squirrel

squirrel

Standard Motor Parts HS-98 or HS-99 might work...if you can find one.

something like this

5. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Tommy & Squirrel, I'll have to check out the make and model of my fan, I have it installed in the heater box already, but have all the details and wiring diagram from the fan jotted down in the garage. I'll have to find the diagram and see but there has to be 4-5 wires red and black and orange yellow and green or blue as well.

This all helps. I'll try powering the switch and checking the terminals as well....maybe tonight if I can sneak out for a few minutes.:D

Appreciated !
    Derek

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That last switch the Squirrel showed has a built in rheostat/resistor on the back for regulating the fan speed on a one speed heater motor from the 40s-50s. The knob has a light bulb (usually 6V) inside that glowed when the heater was on. If you use one like it just connect it in line to the high speed windings and use the knob to dial in your desired speed. The part # that he listed may be different.