Register now to get rid of these ads!

Universal gas tank sending unit-tank for my roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I saw this new tank and bought it on egay. Before buying it, I told the Iowa "Powerseller" I would buy it if he could also get me the sending unit too. "no problem". Bought the tank, now despite some emails he won't return, I need to find myself a sending unit from someone. The tank is a nice "tanks" brand and will fit good between the frame rails of the 29 roadster. 16 GAL. Anyone use this tank before and what did you use for a sending unit? Part of this thread was a gripe session:( and the other was to share the tank with you guys:).

Attached Files:

2. Ole don

Ole don

Neat tank. Buy the sender that matches the gauges you will use. Follow the direction that come in the box. Run a ground wire from the sender to a good ground.

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

If its a tanks a vdo or a S/W will fit it.. Speedway has the S/W senders. I used one in my tanks 32 tank but i did have to re drill one hole to index it where i wanted it. That was in the sender plate it self.. I have autometer gauges and the speedway S/W sender is supposed to work with those gauges..
    Dave

4. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

Thanks Ole Don:). I want to mount a 56 olds speedo cluster in the dash that has a gas gauge. Perhaps I can adapt a 56 olds, 55-57 chevy sending unit somehow? The unit drops in from the top. I don't recall if the 5-7 chev drops in from the top. This shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just like to hear what others have done. Thanks in advance!- Kurt

5. brewsir

brewsir

You need to figure out what ohms range the 56 olds gas guage works with and just buy a universal sending unit that works with the same range. Or you may be able to adjust the arm length on a stock 56 olds sending unit if you can make it fit in the tank...just have to figure out how long to make it so it reads empty when the float hits the bottom of the tank and full somewhere near the top. (close is OK at the top..but I like to know exactly when empty means empty)

6. trevor

trevor

GM senders before 1964 are 0 ohms empty and 30 ohms full

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Classic Instuments has a sending unit that will fit that tank, and works with the Olds gauge