Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unilite VS Pertronics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Recently obtained a 1957 T-bird with the 312 and point type dizzy. Would like to have a new pointless dizzy, but the one with the mechanical tach drives are very expensive. So conversion seems to be the route for an Old Tight Guy. So which is the better. Mallory Unilite or the Pertronics? Appreciate the info.

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've used pertronics in the past with no problems, but I've also heard many instances of failures with those. I've never used the Mallory but I have an accel set up in my 62 galaxie and it has worked well for 3 years and many miles now. Gmc bubba here on the hamb would be the best guy to answer this question a he does ignitions for a living. Shoot him a pm and he will know all the options and what's best for you...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'll chime in. Been using Pertronix and their flame thrower coil for a year now with zero problems on my 61. Just gotta make sure to set it up properly (shimming the distributor, etc.) In other words, RTFM :)

4. 36tbird

36tbird

I ran a Unilite on a 283 for years without problems but I had double resistors on it. I had heard that they were touchy and could be burned out easily. Since then, I have run a Petronix on my flathead with no resistors and it has worked great for years now. For simplicity, I recommend the Pet's.

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Pertronics is a great product that I have used before , but in my opinion, small cap msd dizzy would be my choice, bullet proof and many parts available !

6. I have used both,,Unilite has always been a good product back in the 60,70 and 80's.

I have been using the Pertronix distributors for the past 15 years or so without any problems,,they may or may not give me problems tomorrow but I am happy with the product and have them on my Deuce pickup and Ladyhrps wagon. HRP

7. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Pertronics...and this from a Mallory diehard.. Unilites have had me walking a few times.. Got to where I carried a spare module at all times..

Started using Pertronics in my old IH tractors when the conversions were first marketed,, Still in use ,,NO PROBLEMS. Now in my hotrods..:D

8. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Brand new unilite distributor on a 70's OT vehicle some years back...think it lasted a week, untill it left me stranded. Never again, I sure wont trust one.

9. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I've ran pertronix in my old ih tractors for years and old grain trucks pretty much if I own it and it has points it gets pertronix I've had an unilite too and it was fine but I can pertronix parts from my local case ih dealer

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've run lots of Pertronics without a hint of failure, but I read and follow directions to the "T" and double check everything. I worked with one Unilight and it blew up checking for spark at the plug...

11. rick finch

rick finch

I'd go with Pertronics also...Used a Unilite on my son's '59 Biscayne, hauling ass in the fastlane on Interstate 280 in San Jose and it went POP...dead in the water. (had to change my shorts when I got home) A lot of horn blowing and single digit waves while I was trying to move over to the shoulder...:D

12. I have run a Unilite in a SBC for 15 years or so with no problems until I put the engine in a car and used the one wire alternator. Then it died. I found out that they are susceptible to burn outs from voltage surges with the one wire alternators. I will probably replace it with another Unilite module but this time I will use their surge protector or get rid of the one wire.

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I swear by the pertronix. The only thing is they don't like low voltage so don't let your battery go low.

14. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Well it looks like there are an equal number of pros and cons for both. So I guess it's a case of which I can get the best deal on. Do appreciate your replies.

15. I don't know. Just read replies twice and it doesn't seem even to me. I will agree with the guy who suggested contacting GMC Bubba on here. Great and knowledgable guy.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Jim "GMC Bubba" uses Pertronics in some of his distributors. As stated already I think they all are probably prone to failure if exposed to voltage spikes, over or under voltage recommended by the manufacturer and or poor grounding. I have been using the Accel points eliminator conversion in one of mine for about 8 years now with no problems I carry a spare just in case. I believe it's probably the same as the unilite basically.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've run both, and have one of each in my two cars right now. Always had good luck with Pertronix, and never a failure. I was warned about voltage issues with Unilites, and told to always run a ballast resistor ahead of them, or an MSD box ahead to protect them from over voltage. They are sensitive to high voltage, and most alternators will kill the module. I ran mine with a ballast resistor and it was great. Later put a MSD 6AL on and took the resistor off. Still runs great, and I'm happy with either brand. Buy what's the cheapest, and make sure you protect the Unilite.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've installed tons of Pertronix units in customer's cars at our shop - they work great with no issues . I have one installed in my Shoebox , ready to go , if I ever finish the damn thing , lol !!

19. I've read countless threads on pertronix...as well as this one. Just a question? With useing a unilite- all's good until they take a shit at the worst possible momment. So- was it a magnetic unit? or the crappy eye?
    Always magnetic trigger for me,and haven't had an issue for 25+ years.
    Seem's the "brain" is the one that craps out. Electric or magnetic? Not bashing the brand,but maybe the style.... So- fess up and tell us what style it was.?:confused:

20. indyjps

indyjps

I've run several unilites and never had a problem, I always ran a resistor. Set up my dads 65 impala 327 with a pertronics and its never had an issue. I'd say if you have the distributor and its in good shape, run pertronics

21. DH9185

DH9185

Never ran the Pertronix but I've experienced failures with Mallory stuff. Check out Performance Distributors. They make a small cap distributor with an external HEI module that's pretty well hidden when installed when you set it up with the module rearward. Hot external Inferno coil that eliminates the need for an ignition box on all but the wickedest of engines. Been running this on my 11:1 500hp stroker motor for awhile now and very happy with it. They even precurve it based on your car/engine specs that you provide and mine seems to be right on. Reasonable on price too. Installed it, set my timing to 38° and that was it. Glad a friend turned me on to them.

22. sobpunx

sobpunx

I have been running a Mallory for nearly 3 years daily and no problems, just hook it up right.

23. daily_driver

daily_driver

I've run a pertronix point replacement and coil on the yblock in my 58 truck daily for close to five years now. Hasn't let me down yet. I haven't tried the mallory on anything yet, so can't say yay or nay on that. -dd

24. Scumdog

Scumdog

I had a Pertonix crap out in my 429 F100 after about 6 years or so - right in the drive-way!
    It gave some symptoms for a week or so before - every time I turned the key (before starting up) the tach needle would jump to about 2,000rpm and then drop back to zero.

Now I carry a spare.

BTW: Over here the local upplier want almost $300 for a Pertronix!!:eek:

25. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I run a Unilite on my 351w with no problems, I use a DMP on my 350 with no problems, I had an Accel small cap and the module went bad in an hour, bought a O'Reilly module for it and it worked good. I had trouble with an MSD, believe it was the dist. harness, never did fix it. My 71 360 still runs points and I still haven't had any problems with it. I ran points in my forty ford, changed over to a Mallory and never could figure out the problem with it. Burned up capacitors. This can be confusing but points work good.

26. rick finch

rick finch

The "crappy eye"... (as you so aptly described) ;)

27. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Shawnsauto1, contacted GMC BUBBA. He gave me some very good and useful info. Appreciated your recommendation. That's what I like about the H.A.M.B. there always seems to be someone out there who know something about the problem your having or who to contact about it. Thanks everyone for the Help.