Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical uneven tire wear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 17, 2017.

1. At the downtown car show thus morning I noticed the outside of my front passenger side tire is showing excessive wear.

This is a dropped axle so how do you address this issue? HRP

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

Danny cant you take this to a shop that does trucks and check the alignment to see if it camber or toe Just thinking out loud Tom

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. First, can you feel any scuff or feather edge by rubbing your hand back and forth across the tread?

Second, is there any scuff on the other tire?

If no scuff on the LF, something is causing the RF to toe in by itself (if there is scuff). Check static toe, BOTH axles square in chassis, and parallel to each other, worn left kingpin bushing or draglink end COMBINED with excessive positive static toe. Kingpin wear alone will let tire toe out, not in

If NO scuff on RF, just outer rib wear, check for excessive positive camber. Simple correction by the right shop, regardless of axle.

Does it pull or drift to the right, making you correct steering to the left? This increases the wear rate on the RF outer rib. You correcting is throwing all the toe into the RF.

What steering, Vega style cross steer or frame parallel drag link?

How many miles on the tire? Bias or radial?

Lots of possibilities, need to narrow it down or get lucky on the first try.

Mr48chev and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Too many variables for doing it at home.
    Take it to a alignment shop with tech equipment to align it up.

That's how I would address it.....

HOTRODPRIMER and lothianwilly71 like this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, not sure about a shop with "tech stuff" is the place you want to take a 32 Ford. Most alignment shops won't touch an old car as they don't have the specs or the knowledge to make adjustments on old cars.
    We are lucky in our area as theres a shop that doesn't have an alignment rack and will set your car "dead nuts on" doing it the way they did it before alignment racks even existed. He'll drive your car first and then make the necessary adjustments. The last time I was there I believe he charged me about $30.

Gary

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER, Montana1 and pat59 like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Stop turning left so much ...........

ceege and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Danny, I tend to wear out my back tires long before my front ones!
    Yes, I know it's a personal problem.
    KK

ceege and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. I had the same thing happen and found that the rear triangle 4-bar bushings were failing. It seemed to pull to the right a little and I was subconsciously trying correct it all the time. Before I figured it out it had scuffed the outside right front tire.

Replaced all the plastic bushings on the rear and it came right back in line. Then I replaced the front tires. Problem solved! ;)

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I just eye balled the alignment when I built the car. Of course you've been running the wheels off of it more than I had been around here so it's probably now just showing up. A good alignment should be all it needs.

I do think those tall skinny tires fold more during cornering and such and probably aren't going to have the life span a 14" or 15" radial would have which is what's on the red car (and your black Tudor I think) right?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Sorry I fell of the edge of the world,we had a heck of a storm yesterday and I just got back on line.

This is the car I got from Ron,

NO

NO

ALL THE COMPONENTS ARE NEW

If NO scuff on RF, just outer rib wear, check for excessive positive camber. Simple correction by the right shop, regardless of axle.[/QUOTE]

THIS IS MY NEXT OPTION

NOPE

VEGA

ABOUT 2000 / 16" RADIALS

Hope that helps narrow it down. HRP

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  11. Ok,this is where I will start. HRP

12. Depending on their tread design, some radial tires will exhibit what is known as belt edge wear, on either one or both outer edges. The belt package does not extend to the outer edges of the tread, and this section lifts off first coming out of the footprint. This squirms the edge, while the rest of the tire's footprint is stabilized by the belt package. The pattern is a relatively even step all the way around the tire. However, 2000 miles is low for this to happen.

Camber wear is slow wear, also.

I could be more sure with a picture.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

Check toe-in.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Lift'er up and check toe with a plumb bob. You'll get a fair idea from there. I must have missed the thread where you swapped for radials. I'll withhold the sarcastic remarks Danny.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Post a pic of the tire.

Is this wear even around the entire tire or just a smaller area. If it's a smaller area then you might have a bad belt in the tire.

If it's even around the entire tire and only on 1 tire it sounds like too much camber in that side. I've seen that quite a bit especially in aftermarket tube axles.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. The radials were on the car when we traded. HRP

17. Unlikely if just the *outside* edge, but what about tire pressure?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. I have the problem corrected,I drove the sedan over to Dave's Wednesday afternoon and we did the poor mans front alignment on the car.

It was exactly one inch out of alignment,a good reason why the tires were wearing,the car drives much better now, HRP

pat59, lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that would grind the tread off the tire.
    Hotrod A is on the exact same page that I would have been on had I seen the thread the first day you posted it.
    Normally a lot of excess toe in or out will cause a feathered effect on the tires where when you slide your hand sideways over the tread it slides smooth one way and your fingers catch on the tips of the feathering going the other way.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow indeed! I'm surprised it was evenly remotely driveable! I swapped the front axle on my 32 roadster and wasn't too precise with my toe setting. A quick test locally and all seemed good. First time on the freeway and I'd barely got off the on ramp and I had a terrible, violent shake. Scared the pants off me. Quickly decided it was the toe. Measured and adjusted and all was good again - the difference wasn't much but was enough to make it easier for the tires (or suspension) to bounce rather than rotate with a scrub. I can't begin to imagine what it might have been like a whole inch out!!

Chris

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

One inch of toe misalignment will wear both tires. Toe is the only (angle) measured in inches, You have other problems.

t

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

An inch? WOW. That's a lot of scrubbing. I bet your gas mileage goes up and it steers a lot easier! Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. I eyeballed the toe on my Ford, actually did some measuring with a tape and it was still 3/4" out when I formally aligned it. After 1000 miles I was getting a slight scuff on the front tires. Steers better and the wheel comes back nicely.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
    Blue One likes this.
  25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got 500/16 Excelsior radials on the front of my deuce pu with an Anson dropped big beam set at 7 degrees of caster and 1/8th of toe and with only about 1800 miles there is just a slight notice of wear on the inside? I was visiting 383 deuce last week and he's got about 18,000 on his Excelsior's and he has turned them around to compensate for the same inside wear pattern and he's running a stock deuce big beam but I don't know the toe but he said he's has his computer aligned and still has slight wear? I didn't expect that I'd get more than 25/30,000 out of these tires. I've had the same problem years ago with Michelin XZX 145/15 radials.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Aren't you not supposed to turn radials around and change the direction of rotation? Isn't that why car manufacturers tell you to rotate them front to rear and vis-a-versa instead of the old school criss-cross rotation of bias plies.:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Don,I would think Gary probably HRP

28. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I am sure that in a ideal world,we could control the direction of the rotation.
    On bias ply tires it was important because of the characteristics. I had one pickup with bias ply tires, it got flat spots sitting over night, every morning had to drive about 2 miles to warm the tires up for the flat spots to go away. ie.... 5:30 am, one eye open, coffee cup in one hand trying to row the truck through the gears whump whump whump!

I retreaded semi truck tires, and some passenger tires for several years. These tires are removed from the trucks, retreaded and then sent back to the racks, waiting to be installed on the next truck.
    There was no attempt to keep tract of direction of rotation, and retread 2 or 3 times were getting 500k+ miles on them. If rotation was important, we would of kept tract.
    Same with used tires, no idea what position they were in, they do not care where they go.
    I say it is a non issue with radial tires.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. With 35 years in the truck tire business, I agree with Los Control.
    When radial tires were first produced in the US, there was an engineering/manufacturing problem with the belt package being stretched against the body plies from drive torque. If the tire's rotation was reversed, the belt package relaxed or stretched in the opposite direction and Voilà', belt and tread separation!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. And a big bulge in the sidewall. HRP