Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Unemployment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was furloughed from my job and I submitted a claim on 3/13. Still no dollars so I got on their site and thought I'd do a "live chat" to see when I get my millions. I clicked on the live chat icon and this message appeared. I'll have to paraphrase but the gist of it is:

Thank you for using our live chat feature. We are experiencing heavy work loads but stay on the line and we will get to you. You only have 2736 callers ahead of you.
    Cool, only 2736 antsy callers waiting to speak to some poor person who's heard every cuss word in the English and Spanish vocabulary and still doesn't know when the check's gonna show up!!!
    It's a strange time in our lives.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Patience is a virtue . :) Good luck to you .

3. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

"This too shall pass." Having (unfortunately) been on unemployment for extended periods in my adult life, I know your pain. This was something Federal and State governments never thought could happen and most every state's unemployment is getting hammered with applications. I heard on the radio this morning that roughly 1/3 of the US workforce is unemployed. Government responses will improve; they have no choice.

Lil32, tractorguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. jdcool44

jdcool44

Made a small mistake when I filed in ohio. Took about 200 calls just to get past the high call volume try again later and talk to someone.

Lil32 and 40ragtopdown like this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Sounds like the call centers should be hiring !!

6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hope you're back to work sooner than later. That sucks!

Lil32 likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Who's gonna pay new workers , state staffing everywhere is cut back because of budget shortfalls , and that was BEFORE the virus !

town sedan and Lil32 like this.
  8. triumph 1

triumph 1

I’m in the same boat, still waiting.......,...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32 likes this.
  9. Lavin just had a huge chunk deposited for hers! Nice chatting.

Lil32 likes this.
  10. For once, I am glad to be on Social Security.

Ben

11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I don't see how anyone can live on their social security. My heart goes out to those who do, I just don't see how they survive.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Old wolf and Lil32 like this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

What music was playing while you waited???;)
    One good thing about being old is that we are retired.

Texas Webb, Lil32 and warhorseracing like this.
  13. My wife is dealing with it now. It seems the system is set up with so many road blocks and technicalities that they're hoping to wear you down so you just go away. They haven't met my wife. ;)

bobss396, tofords, 62rebel and 2 others like this.
  14. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Spent three weeks trying to get through on the phone for the wife. They tell you how much easier it is to get through online. It's not . I know very little about computers and the wife knows less. Was finally able get everything in without it kicking us off. They gave us a confirmation number and I thought she was all set. She gets an email today saying do to covid 19 they needed more information. Put that info in still waiting for a response. She's been off since March 13. She's patiently waiting.

Lil32 likes this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its not enjoyable , but bits doable ( barely)

Old wolf, firstinsteele and Lil32 like this.
  16. jdcool44

jdcool44

Ohio would hang up when full couldn't even get on hold to talk to a human

40ragtopdown and Lil32 like this.
  17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I agree

1stGrumpy and firstinsteele like this.
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Luckily both my wife and I are on SS plus we each have a good retirement fund we accumulated so we're alright. At 75 I'm still working/building chassis and selling trans kits and parts for a supplemental income. Being self employed for most of my life I'm not expecting any kind of check? I don't know how you stay on hold for hrs, I'd go berserk. My heart goes out to you HAMBers that are out of work, hopefully you will get your stimulus checks and unemployment checks soon??? Hang in there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    bobss396, JeffB2 and Lil32 like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too am very grateful to be on social security and teamsters retirement benefit's, extremely fortunate that we don't have kids to worry about. At age 67, I never thought I would see our country return to similar but strange conditions like the great depression. My heart goes out to all of those out there that have been put out of work!

Old wolf, JeffB2 and Lil32 like this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

What kinda transmission kits?!!
    6sally6

21. Lil32

Lil32

have worked for 55 years and have just been laid off till July,not sacked,my job will be there when
    all is back to normal,Govt going to pay us $1500 per fortnight through our workplace
    applied about two weeks ago,just waiting now.had to cancel our 6 weeks trip to USA as we visit each year
    have invested well during our life so we have money on side
    good luck to all,we always stay in Anaheim at our friends's "Kings Inn Hotel"he tells me the area is a ghost town
    he is 10 minutes from Disneyland
    DSCN6273.JPG

Dave Rondou likes this.
  22. town sedan

town sedan

My employer for the last 11 years (a new car dealership) decided the best thing for them to do was kick out everyone they could. They made it clear that there were no plans to call anyone back. Although I don't think they really thought it through, they were just reacting to the moment. I was prepared to stay home without pay for a month or two, but never expected not having a job to go back to.

Luckily I got some savings, but not enough to last 3 years to 62. Worst part of all has been loosing my health insurance. Still trying to figure that out, but I did finally get the COBRA letter this week. Still I've had to cancel one doctor appointment, but I've got to keep the one with my cardiologist next week.

There have been a few problems to fix with my Kansas unemployment claim. Thank God for speed dialing. I tried their phone number close to 800 times over 3 days trying to get everything resolved. Now it's a waiting game and hopefully I'll get some money coming in.

Never expected to become one of the idle poor at this point in my life. Anyone know of anyone hiring cripples? Actually not going to work every day has helped me feel good enough to be able to get out to the garage.

Good luck to us all.
    -Dave

bobss396, RICH B, JeffB2 and 2 others like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got to work way past the maximum age and making 100k the last three helps. Wife gets half the value I get because she never worked 40 quarters. We could actually live on the amount since we own own home bought in 1971, have not had a car payment since 1996 but drive a 2015 and 2018 + our 56 Victoria. We have the SS checks sent to our savings account and live on our mandatory 401k minimum which is less than SS. And Yes I still race and help out my children when necessary.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thats damn near bragging !!LOL Remember the 2008 crash , I watched 60+% of $350,k go bye bye , 1 health problem for the wife ,1 for me took most of the rest , life aint easy for everybody....

jimmy six and town sedan like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel for anyone in high population areas trying to get unemployment simple because the systems have to be extremely overloaded.
    I've been on social security and two small retirement checks for the past two years and it is indeed a learning experience. For me my net is pretty close to what my normal 40 hour a week net was without overtime and premium pay.
    I don't have the gas expense for driving 50+ miles a day nor the expense of buying lunch almost every day.
    I still have to watch it pretty close and the best advice I can give is save up for things like road trips and parts and don't use credit card except when you can pay them off right away. Those payments eat into a budget long after the trip was done or the part installed.
    I'm trying to get a couple of things going right now to generate some extra cash every month that don't involve working on cars or working for some else.

town sedan, Lil32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. You still waiting on hold?

Lil32 likes this.
  27. Frugally. I am low maintenance. Never owned a new car. Always had a dependable one. Home paid for. Not fancy but comfy. I know folks that work 40 hours a week that make less.

Ben

iwanaflattie and Lil32 like this.
  28. wandi harry

wandi harry

The Aussie government is throwing never before seen amounts of money out here to try and keep the economy rolling. Its a real worry what the monetary cost down the road for us will be as well as the health cost to those that are vulnerable.
    We will get through it but will be paying for years

town sedan and Lil32 like this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

With 22 million unemployed (17% unemployment rate = about 1 of every 6 ), I wonder if that number doesn't figure in all the thousands that have still not been able to complete their application? You can imagine the traffic jam on websites and call centers that were never designed to handle the flow. Some States' computer systems are running on ancient software that can't hang;
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/14/...-systems-cobol-legacy-software-infrastructure

This has been surreal watching the economy capsize in such a short period, going from the lowest unemployment/best economy in 50 years to the worst since the great depression. I think some businesses will bounce right back, others will struggle for many months or even a year+ to get up to speed and some will fold all together.

Some cities/counties will suffer tax income deficits that will be hard to overcome and they'll be budget cuts to programs. Lost tourism and convention income to San Diego will be a big hit here. With the way they love to hit us with taxes and "fees" here, I'm already mentally preparing myself for the bite on the horizon in the form of an increased sales or gas tax or vehicle registration... ugh.

town sedan, egads and Lil32 like this.
  30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry; they can always borrow the money to meet the huge deficit and debts this will cause.

I would suggest learning to speak Chinese, though.

continentaljohn and Lil32 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.