Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unemployed? What have you done with the time off?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteZombie, May 28, 2009.

1. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Aside from the job hunt, what have you been able to get done with all of the new time on your hands?

After a day of depression, I decided to put the beat down on my old sedan. I had been working on the sedan for a while and had a low ugly model a that couldnt be driven because just getting out of the driveway was a challenge. Too low and wouldnt steer worth a damn.

I decided I would take another approach and lift it up and make it more driver friendly. I built a frame from 2x4 rect. tubing to Model A specs and even formed frame horns in the front. Put the axle back under the frame where it should be and did away with the silly 18 inch Z I had on the old frame. I wanted a 3 pedal hot rod so I did away with the C4 auto and added a T-5 tranny behind my 302. I channeled the body only 2 inches as compared to the 4 I had earlier giving me very much needed head room. I then filled the roof with a Chevy Astro van top (had a hard time using Chevy parts). I then took away from my new head room with a 3 3/4 inch chop (2 pieces of duct tape are 3 3/4 inches).

I still have some work to do but it doesnt look like the job market is getting any better so maybe I can get this thing closer to finished before I go back to work.

2. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Pics didnt upload the first time.

Attached Files:

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

way better this time around.:0)

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

I re-did all the old body repairs on my '35 sedan and then painted it. In a couple weeks I'll color sand it, rub it out and lay some stripes on it. Of course this will be done while I'm doing the job-search thing also.

Meanwhile......I exist on the reliable unemployment check every two weeks.

5. chopo

chopo

I too wait for my bi weekly check while spending an ass load of time here!

6. Kustom64ford

Kustom64ford

Nice work on the sedan! I am trying to sell stuff to make it through the summer so I can work on car projects. Worked on cleaning my Fairlane yesterday and tore into my 53 F100 to start mocking up the motor and trans. Also pulled the front sheet metal off my little English Ford to try to get motivated on getting it running. Unfortuneately, I was a subcontractor, so no unemployment for me. Oh well, at least I am out of my shitty job I have had for nearly 20 years!

7. Time off ?? What a concept. I been hittin' hard ever since the recession hit.

8. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Do you work at the unemployment office? :D

9. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Lots of home improvement projects that don't cost much.

10. skunx1964

skunx1964

ive bought more stuff than i should have, but got the garage all cleaned and organized real well. job market is dry here, unless i wanna bag groceries....

11. butch27

butch27

Gotten really hungry and lost weight.

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I put a floor in the 2nd floor of the garage and organized most of my parts. My problem is not having the money to but the things I need to do.

13. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Yep, before i never had the time to do what i wanted, now i have the time but not enough money. sucks.

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Turned this,
    [​IMG]
    Into, this.
    [​IMG]

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Watch the kids .When they go to school. Fabricate and do bodywork in garage.When wife gets home, back into garage. Hope construction picks up soon. I cant work for corporations they have their heads up their own ass.Thats why we are unemployed and in the mess were in.My 2 cents... ebay pics 250.jpg

16. Danog

Danog

I drop the front of my 38 and now working on the rear. I need to sell my 63, if i'm going to make it all summer.

17. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

built a 8.50 cert chassis for an o/t car, found the 40 pontiac and started workin on that. Plus spendin alot of time with my almost 2 yr old daughter

18. I Drag

I Drag

Probably not the reason you're asking but I went back to college. Complete career change; I'm going to be an accountant. Took out about 25k (!) in student loans.

I also use the time to do cheap home improvements, and even cheaper resto work on my '58.

19. havi

havi

Spending all my time on the HAMB. Can't do much else. Except today I rolled the Fairlane over to the garage....now to just make room.

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

Plus it gave me the opportunity to finish this.

Attached Files:

21. Well after two back operation in December 08, Ive had to take a few months off and my job has been made redundant so Im outta work.

Over the last couple of months I have been feling a lot better with the rigorous training program at the gym so have felt good enough to do a bit of wrenching while i have more time.

List of things done:

Molasses bath for my 330 Desoto Hemi block and heads
    Cleaned them up, prepped and painted the block and heads in and out.
    Ported the Hemi heads
    Started rebuilding the GMC 6-71 blower for the hemi.

Converted a buddies 30 coupe to cross steering
    Fabbed up drivers side headers to suit
    Remounted column and added new steering shaft.

Now Im adding a set of Belond Style headers to the 32 and looking to add a set of modded Edelbrock heads to the blown flathead along with a mild relief. Improves the breathng ya see.....

Now that I think about it, it seems like Ive done a shitload of stuff but never realised it at the time.

Ah welll....all till I find a new gig, things are real tight atm and its pissing me off no end.

Besides, Idlness is the enemy of the sooul - RIGHT? hahaha

Rat

22. Pix....

Rat

Attached Files:

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Same thing i've done for the last 15-20 years...............whatever I feel like doing. I'll never get all of the projects done so I'll just try to make a smaller pile. That way there will be less to fight over when it's time for the dirt nap.

Frank

24. Wildfire

Wildfire

We're off 1 week a month, I spent the better part of 11 days this month in the garage. The RPU body is bolted down, the motor is wired and fired up on the first crank. Basically, other than paint and some details, the car is finished.

Well worth the loss in pay as far as I'm concerned.

25. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I've been off since january and without unemployment so i've been working on my house mostly doing things that don't cost money and hanging out with my son who is almost 2 years old and losing weight by chasin him round the yard.But recently me n my buddy went back to work on my 32 and hoping to get the frame z'd boxed so we can get the rear of the car on the ground and have a rolling chassis for once and get the engine and trans in all at the same time!But if all goes well just maybe by this october i will have a car to take to the Hunnert car Pileup even if it is still a work in progress!!!!

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  26. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I've gotten ALOT of my friends cars on the road or further in the build to help make ends meet. Still sit and stare at my own project in the garage. How did that story about the shoe cobbler go??

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

My job ends in Nov. Offer to travel has been extended. Trying to get my 56 road ready. Guess I can look for parts while I'm traveling. Not complaing, it was depressing watching everyone get terminated even though they rcvd severance packages.

28. I didn't get unemployment,,, damn catholic schools,,,
    sold my projects,,,
    I am back in school full time days and full time night classes,,,
    run two girl scout troops,,,
    working part time at michael's arts and crafts,,,
    trying to find something that's gonna cover my bills and feed my kids,,,
    hopin the next job i get will allow me to buy a car again,,,,since i don't have the time or the money now,,,

torchmann,,,
    I wish i could be making 500/week now,,, I'm not even at half that,,,
    can I have that job?

xoxox
    miss hellbound hootch

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent 5-6 hours a day looking for a job. I also used my skills with a volunteer ambulance service. Landed me a job in the country's largest ED, 4 days a week and I bring home 1200 a week.
    You need to work at being unemployed.
    Doc.

30. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

About 8 chicks... I'm 20 and lovin it... hahaha