Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unearthing a StAr DeStroyer! 1931 Coupe w/394 olds-

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Jul 20, 2015.

1. belair

belair

I love the "Star Destroyer" name. Sounds like a good Olds gone bad. I have two cars ahead of my Model A build, and am chomping at the bit to get to it.

Tuck likes this.
  2. Dave50

Dave50

great thread this is what the HAMB is all about. Cool car!!

117harv, Tuck and Denns1989 like this.
  3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I rarely pop in here anymore, but glad I did. Killer coupe, better story.

Go Tuck go!

117harv, Tuck and Dave50 like this.
  4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Awesome thing to happen to you ! happy for you man !

lothiandon1940 and Tuck like this.
  5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Damn..

Tuck likes this.
  6. I really like this story, thanks for sharing, I'm watching.

Tuck likes this.
  7. old flopper

old flopper

Just word of caution, 394 olds engines in late 50’s and early 60’s hard a different crank for automatics and manual transmissions. The pilot bearing for manual trans was in the crank, not the flywheel. The auto crank was dished out for torque converter center hub, which leaves nothing for pilot bearing. In early 60’s I did a trans swap between 59 olds manual 394 and 60 olds auto 394 and ran into this problem, had to swap crankshafts in engines as well.

Nailhead A-V8, hechtspeed and Tuck like this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow , great little coupe. With meaningful history no less!

Tuck likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Has anyone commented on the cool little trailer? What's the plaque on the rear, attached to wood? I think I'm going to copy your spare tire mounting for the car trailer I've been rebuilding (that's been a chore and a half!). Car's cool too. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Tuck likes this.
  10. Love you're Ranchero and that coupe is so gnarly! This is going to be such a rad build

Tuck likes this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

YES! @old flopper my buddy is on his way to secure a donar car for me today- its a 63 olds with a running 394 that has a manual 3 speed- and the rear end that I want!! and rims... I'm running the Olds bolt circle all the way around with buick drums up front.

Outback, kiwijeff, hechtspeed and 3 others like this.
  12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

UPDATE: @old flopper '63 394 olds mated to a manual trans and big olds rear is secured! :) Just bought it.

Party time.

Tuck

Outback, kiwijeff, enloe and 7 others like this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Excellent!!!

Now keep yours eyes and ears out for a '37 Roadmaster transmission to put the selector guts in :)

Nailhead A-V8, 36 ROKIT and Tuck like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

Only the Olds guys know just how much of a lottery score that is....

I guess Olds only made like two or three stick 394's in the 1960's :p and you found one.. wowee

Pics please...when you pull it out..

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@F&J I was reading one of your posts on pedals-
    I know they are rare but after doing some reading on the web I had no idea they were that impossible to find. Sounds like someone tried to buy it from NJ today and was working out shipping when my friend showed up with cash. Sorry NJ guy... (evil laugh) Sometimes craigslist rules! The hot rod gods have my back on this one...

Will post pics when we pull-

kiwijeff, enloe, Hombre and 5 others like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

I assume you found my thread "Olds 60-64 standard shift" ?

Sheesh, rare is often a over-used word, but they really are very rare. Take every last part of the clutch and brake pedal stuff, take quick pics of how it all fits...because someone out there really would be thrilled to buy all that.

I have a 99% complete setup, all in NOS Olds, ordered for a 61 Convertible, back in the 60s. I thought I was going to buy the 61 conv from the estate too, but it's too rough for me to finish at my age.

Anyways, on the 61 stick conversion,(63 might differ) you remove the A/T brake pedal bracket, and bolt in the stick pedal bracket which now hooks to the dashboard lip as well as firewall. Take that too! Then the 2 hanging pedals with a clutch rod through the firewall, hooks to an upper bellcrank on firewall outside, then a long link down to a second bellcrank, then back to the clutch fork. There will be a special thin bracket pivot piece bolted to the motor for the lower bellcrank, and some sort of small bracket on the frame for the other lower bellcrank-pivot. Then TWO heavy duty "helper springs" on the lower bellcrank. Those help push the clutch when the pedal gets to the halfway point. Save it all, it ain't 50 dollar stuff. :)

Heck, I'd save the column too, along with the two rods to the trans.

I just sold 57 pedals to a guy in Ca, and he is pleading for the stick column if I can find one...so far I have the two rods only.

Just trying to help out people with these rare Stick shift Olds, that's all..

I suppose this cheater 63 did not have dual exhaust? If it did, the drivers side special manifold is wicked hard to find. The passenger manifold is same for single or duals, but on duals, there is a 3 bolt block-off plate on the front opening of the passenger manifold.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    loudbang, rod1, hipster and 3 others like this.
  17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@F&J I'll save all that stuff!!!
    Thank you! :) :) :)

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looking forward to the build

19. hipster

hipster

Am suscribed! Best of luck, seems you deserve it! Really dig the plan. Running 58's myself, they draw a lot of positive comments.Having 4 brake lights is a good thing when not running a cyclops.

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437926982.610044.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437926992.380391.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437927002.135604.jpg

This is one of the local cars still owned by the original builder (in 1957 if my memory serves) guy is 80 or so lives south of me- this used to have a different mill in it at one time too- I believe an olds as well. He later updated to a sbc-

Love the 40 spring and bone perches - the whole grill shell is forward which is kinda goofy but it's so perfect at the same time- a frame- no chop- channel- cycle fenders and caps.

Chucks car looks almost identical only it's blue I'll post pics when I get some old shots of my coupe.

I think it's cool how different areas of the U.S. Had a "style" that was accepted.

Interesting how the survivors that are still on the road were all updated to a sbc at some point. (-: I think the coolest part is this dudes been driving this hot rod since 1957 and still has it on the road! Still going to drive ins... :)

Tuck

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^ nice car. Lots and I mean TONS of cars used the later spring in front axles in the early-mid fifties, strickly verboten now, which is kinda good, you can almost take it for granted that if you see a spring in front car, its a survivor.
    Really love that coupe, flipper caps, cycle fenders, channelled, that's got it all. Wonder how many "rod-a-billies" (registered trademark Atwater Mike:D) walk by it at a show and say " oh that's not a traditional hot rod, its got an alternator":rolleyes::D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I wish by God that people would build more cars like this!!!

There is something about the 32 grill in front of a spring in front axle m, with a channeled body, Small head lights and cycle fenders.

That is so beautiful!
    Is that a Y-block? Or a SBC?
    Still having difficulty seeing the difference, the biggest give-away is a is valve covers and intake?

AHotRod, brad2v and Tuck like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Reminds me of Snewpee.

Denns1989 and Tuck like this.
  24. going to be awesome, great to see.
    Have sent you an email, talk later....
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

Outback and Tuck like this.
  25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

(-: thank you man!

Thanks to @Drewfus I found a Drag-Star 6x2 for the olds... (-; permagrin has set in. No going back!

Minus carbs but I bought 6 97's earlier from Kenny so it's all gonna work out. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438011007.466753.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438011288.516589.jpg
    Here's my 3 on the tree 394.

Hombre, hechtspeed, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Chevy! Valve covers for sure and intake are tell tale- y has two bolts like an olds.

I like the spring forward idea.. Not like he has it but on the bone perches-

(-:

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Awesome Tuck.

It's gonna be RAD.

Tuck likes this.
  28. Dave50

Dave50

Great score Tuck!!! GO MAN GO!