Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Undercut

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I never really understood why the mid 50 Mopar's weren't more popular. Thier engines powered many a hot rod, thier grilles, tail lights and hubcaps were found on many customs. I owned a '55 Dodge with a hemi & straight pipes that had the sweetest sound. Also owned a '56 Plymouth, both were great cruisers. Wish I had them back...

3. chubbie

chubbie

I'm not competitive, but we did watch the supper bowl. i got bored and checked out the HAMB only to see the "red" light on several of my friends, birds of a feather....my grandpa had a couple of desoto's!

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They have neato grilles

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely agreed! I'm not as much a custom guy, but have seen precious few hot rodded '55 and '56 Plymouths... We should see more! And lets not even get into the ultra chic "hot roddyness" of the Chrysler 300 series stuff. The whole middle mid-century Chrysler line was bitchin'!

6. That is a beautiful car. Wouldn't mind havin that to work with one day

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When it comes to sports........I'd rather watch paint dry...........but '55 DeSotos...... now there is something to get excited about!

I have admired them greatly since they were new (yeah, I am that old!) but have never taken the leap. I do have a '55 Chrysler hardtop though and, but for fore and aft details, is the same car. It is becoming a "300" tribute car. For as much as I like the '55 DeSoto, I like the '55 300 even better.

Ray

8. You think your sick,,I like the '55 Desoto's in their stock form,,how's that for having a mental problem. :D HRP

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's NOT a mental problem........CHANGING it would be! :D

Ray

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

"But, I didn’t. Instead, the thought of such “un-precedence” made me think of cars. More specifically, it made me think about cars that haven’t been cut up as often as maybe they should have been."
    There is hope for you yet, Ryan...

11. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

I've always wondered why the step down Hudson's weren't more popular for led sled material. Seem you could take a Hornet and make a bad ass sled out of it. Then again I personally have not had a Hudson apart to see how much extra work would be involved. Damn it now I got to go see Mr Frost about a Hudson now.

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

It would be tough to top the look.It's like trying to detail a spotless car,you don't know where to start.

13. JJK

JJK

I'm by no means a huge Chrysler fan but I am in awe at how hardley anyone ever touches the early 50's coupes. I think the 51-52 Plymouth 3 window coupes are perfect custom bait. You can have a HEMI, 3 windows, and a toothy grill from the factory! I think I need one in the future but maybe by then they'll finally catch on and be out of my price range.

14. Fenders

Fenders

54 and 55 DeSoto grilles are the best !!

Neat visor on the 55 too.....

Attached Files:

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I built a '53 DeS moredoor, just to haul the family around in. I agree with all thats been said here, but then again I am a bit bias when it comes to DeSotos. I feel that DeSotos in particular never get the respect they deserve.

I can tell you one thing though, it really grinds my gears when "experts" tell me that I put a Merc grill in my DeSoto....

16. Carter

Carter

I had similar DeSoto molesting thoughts when my dad picked up a 56 convertible a few years ago.
    Alas, it has since been sold to a restorer, maybe for the better.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Superwhat??? Sorry, I was busy obsessing on orange T-buckets, missed the whole thing.

18. No voltage --- leads to --- thinking of cars! Buddy, i just love the way your brain works!! :D

Carsten

19. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I like those mid 50s Mopars especialy 300s, but Desotos are definitely cool too.

I'd have to say Buicks in general, but especially '37-38 small bodies and '50-52s.

20. BillyM

BillyM

Not sick, or sad. Remembering that 53 Desoto that used to sit "down by the river" when I was a kid.....one front wheel missing because my dad and grandfather needed it for a wagon.......my brother and I playing in it, jumping on the roof.....and we eventually scrapped it.........that's sad.....and really sick.

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

remember chrysler corp was out selling ford in this era--some great cars

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

the world needs more...

1955-56 mercury customs

23. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Always liked the tri 5 mopars. My dad had a 57 firedome convertible, but when the lights went out during the game I was thinking pussy..

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a '54 DeSoto club coupe. Straykatkustoms photoshopped it chopped and sectioned. It looked good.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, all I did during the blackout was carry out the trash and fill the wood box. I've always had a thing for the mid 50's Mopars and had a 55 Plymouth Plaza with a Dodge red ram under the hood in 1967 when I got drafted.

I've got the 56 Desoto hemi to put in a 55/56 Desoto two door hardtop if I find one though. I've also got enough projects already to keep me busy until I'm 80.

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I agree. Oh.....And I hate football. Didn't even know or care that it was happening until Fri afternoon.....

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

looks like we're on the same page

28. TexasDart

TexasDart

The 56 Chrysler Newport is one of my favorite cars...cool looking grill and great taillights.

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't see too many Avantis cut and dressed up.

30. Squablow

Squablow

No Plymouth ever got an early hemi engine from the factory, and Dodge didn't get one until 1953, a year after the 3 window coupe was phazed out.

(Edit - I sound like a dick when I say that. I like those too, had a '50, just wanted to point out the lack of Hemi option)

When was this? I'm not aware of that ever having happened.

As for cars that don't get customized enough, I'll vote for the 39-40 Nash as being an ideal taildragger/early custom material and yet I'm not sure if I've seen pics of more than one or two done that way. Shame.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013