Register now to get rid of these ads!

undercoat or no undercoat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MORodder, May 22, 2011.

1. MORodder

MORodder

How do you guys and gals feel about undercoating or bedliner material under a vintage car?
    I have a 40 Ford Coupe that is built traditionally and can't make up my mind either to paint or undercoat the underside and inner fenders of the ol girl. The plan is to resell after it is completed. Would you consider buying an old car with undercoating?
    Thanks for any suggestions, positive comments, or true stories you can give. -Thomas-

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I like spray-on bed liner on runningboards and under fenders, steel or glass.
    Yes it can be used to cover a lot of "shortcuts" but I don't think I'd let that stop me from buying a car. That's what they make pocketknives and magnets for checking.

3. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Paint. Let the new owner decide what to do. Do hide anything and maybe you'll make extra bucks.

4. PilotHouseMopar

PilotHouseMopar

My thoughts exactly. If you were keeping it then I would undercoat it, that's what I am going to do to my 50 after I get the floors finished. The only reason I will be doing it is because I plan on daily driving it when finished.

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

To me , undercoating it would be like putting a vinyl roof on it.

6. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

If you're a genuine seller, then provide some before photos of the underside with the vehicle so the new owner doesn't have to worry about repairing what you've "fixed".

If you're happy with it's present saleable state, then I would use the rubberised paint underneath to seal it, it seems to do a very good job.

Cheers

7. I actually asked my dad once when I was little about stars on the fender of a car at the show in the Cow Palace and he said that they just ment that the car got driven and that there was nothing wrong with that.

Funny the things you remember isn't it.

I think on a cruiser that under coating or spray on bed liner might be a nice form of sound dedener and as has been stated it will help keep the paint from staring (is that a real word?). The down side to undercoating is that unless it is just pefect it will trap moisture the effects of that are far worse than a star or two.

Just something to think about.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. ^I dunno, I scraped the undercoat off my '58 and there's nothing but clean factory paint under there. It seemed to do a good job of protecting.