Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Under dash brake setups!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brainfreeze, Dec 11, 2017.

1. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Looking to do an under dash brake setup in my A coupe, anyone done it and have pics/advice?

Cheers
    Sam

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Go to speedways race catalogue and check out there units. Pretty cool

3. 48stude

48stude

I put an under dash set up in my A roadster. It's from ECI . I like it because it's compact and doesn't weigh as much as the other setups out there . I was able to position it so I could use the gas filler neck to add brake fluid. You can order it with two different lever lengths . I ended up using the shorter one. They're good to talk to over the phone. Hope this helps. Bill
    P1020315.JPG P1020320.JPG

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. 48stude

48stude

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

48 stude beat me to it, but my best advice is to build all mounts, brackets, pivots as strong as possible, plenty of gussets and bracing.
    A friend of mine had a similar setup in his 55 Chevy, the m/c was in line with the glove box opening for easy fill access.
    Another bit of advice if you build it from scratch is to do a complete bench mockup to get your ratios right, much easier than standing on your head.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

7. I've used the Kugel set-up on 3 different cars and have been happy with them, although I notice they have gotten a bit pricey since the first one I bought almost 20 years ago.

8. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Don't have any pics of it, but look at a 1970-1980 maybe a little newer Dodge van with power brake setup. They have a 90 degree pedal bracket that you should be able to use with a non power master cylinder. I have the power setup under the dash of my 39 plymouth car, works great. Bob

9. X2 for the cheap junkyard solution look at the Dodge vans.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

11. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

im in australia so we don't have dodge vans but I'm definitely gonna go look through any other vans at the yards!

Bill! this is perfect! exactly what i was hoping for! i had the idea of a 90degree box under the dash and using the old gas cap as an opening to allow filling! but I'm in Australia and building a RHD car so their parts won't work, but i will email them and see if they offer a RHD version

12. 48stude

48stude

OOPS! Didn't even occur to me. I would bet that they could make you a mirror image of the set up that I have. Let us know how you make out. :) Bill

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Toyotas have a petty good swing pedal set up.

brainfreeze likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I started off with a brake and clutch pedal assembly from a 1984 Toyota Vanwagon because they used a brake booster and master cylinder behind the dash. However, it didn't place the master cylinder at 90 degrees but 180. From there, I made up the bellcrank by using a Geo Metro brake pedal arm and pivot mounted sideways with another arm welded on at 90 degrees. The 3/8" heim ends I had from some previous project. That's the Toyota clutch cylinder also in the picture that I've since remounted facing forwards. The master cylinder uses a plastic reservoir that didn't work out so I welded one up out of sheet metal. Found brake reservoir hose online somewhere- heater hose don't work. It is filled from the cowl vent (T coupe). Since then, I've upgraded the master cylinder to one from a larger overseas Toyota van which isn't available here but is probably there in Australia. Scan-171212-0001.jpg

15. inthweedz

inthweedz

Check out the setups in Japanese vans,, they even have a remote reservoir.. Very tidy units..

brainfreeze likes this.
  16. Camsore

Camsore
    from Las Vegas