Register now to get rid of these ads!

Under bed gas tank mounting - suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurdueSD, Dec 22, 2012.

1. I'm mounting a late 80s s10 blazer tank under the bed of my 51. I picked up a set of straps to go along with the tank. I would like to tuck the tank up as close as possible to the bed floor and still be able to drop the tank without removing the bed. ( The tank will use a stock gm internal fuel pump.)

I have removed the spare tire crossmember replacing it with some box tube at the end of the frame rails. The tank is sitting about 1" below where the bed wood will sit as i have it mocked up in these pics.

My best idea so far involves welding in some box tube fore and aft the tank just above the pinch weld on the tank and using the staps to sandwich the tank up.

Anyone have any better ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

sometimes a thin piece of rubber on the straps helps keeps it from rattling, and leave some room for air to circulate over the top of the tank, if the tank stays damp it will rust on the top of the tank just fyi

3. It should sinch up tight to the impressions on top of the tank.
    Pipe to box with 2 pieces. Incorporated mounts for straps

4. I am useing a Jeep Comanche tank same place as you and will have the filler in the left fender.It will cinch up to the box floor with a sheet of teflon between it and some rubber strips between the straps and the tank.
    1948fordpickup.blogspot.ca

5. You should be able to get away with flat bar (1/8 or 3/16" X 2" wide) over the top IF the bottom straps are mounted to the crossmembers. If you carefully bend the flat bar to match the contour of the tank edges and run straight from there to the crossmembers, it can't "stretch". Line them with rubber strips and you should be fine.

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

My thoughts too! :rolleyes:

7. Remember to leave enough fuel line and electrical wire to be able to disconnect and reconnect the fuel pump and sending unit with the tank in a lowered position if you are planning to be snug against the bed floor, or find a 5 year old who can fit his arm up there to connect everything.

8. Also make sure your fuel pump and sending unit fitting clear the bed floor