Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a chopped 57 Ford Ranchero windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Are all those 57s ones you've owned? If not where did you find the photos? I collect 57 photos.

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I wish... no, I have had some nice ones but most of them were driver quality... they were my daily transportation fro 73 til 91 when I moved back to Ohio... I brought my Country Sedan back... sold my Country Squire, & Skyliner (never got used to that one 10" longer than my wagon) which was restored into a stunning two tone blue (non-factory Retract color option) award winning ride...

I remember once selling a wagon to a guy and he wanted a bunch of little stuff done - I agreed but told him I drove it and a month later when I delivered it he said the speedo couldn't be right - it had 10K more miles on it... I reminded him " I told you I drove it"

3. If you could move the Ranchero out of her way and let us study her for a while we could all contemplate this better.
    Seriously though, you've got good ideas and lots of good parts so we're all interested in how this one's going to work thru to the end.
    The window glass should be more of a challenge.
    Wish I had your abilities and the willing helper.

4. Ha ha!:D

5. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Thanks alot now im getting those thoughts about chopping my 57 again haha! Looks really cool, great work!

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

[QUOTE The window glass should be more of a challenge.[/QUOTE]

One of the biggest advantages of the changes we made was the ability to use a 500 Series OEM windshield but trim for it maybe a challenge too... if I shorten up 300 pieces they will have to be pie cut in the corners... it might be easier to find something thinner in a T channel that would be malable... the side vents seem pretty straight forward thanks to the pivit being in the center... I've got spares so I can afford to take some chances...

I've heard some of the reproduction windshields have issues too... I hoping to locate one soon if anyone has a suggestion

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Trust me... it took more than one reason to do it and how it was going to look didn't even make the short list... as others pointed out there is still a lot of fun to be done... glass & molding alone should prove interesting... If it ain't broke - consider what you would gain... our nightmare was lowering the front section below the factory location (required to match the existing chop)... the roof skin it welded to the windshield frame (that is why it is extended forward)... if you don't change out the front roof section you still have to chop the top 1 1/4" and reform the front door posts... a lot of work that may never be noticed

I think it would almost be easier to chop it the more conventional way... I keep meaning to locate issue 21 of Car Kulture Deluxe which had a "how to" chop a 57 Ranchero to see how they addressed the windshield

From the number of hits on this thread I'll sure there is a general interest related to current or future projects... so if your out there with samples or words of wisdom - please share... I'll continue to post about my car but I believe the sharing of info is more important... we all need to aviod pit falls... and hearing about neat solutions help preserve brain cells...

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This shows a close-up of the relief cut to corner of the door surround to sharpen the angle of the 500 Series posts

[​IMG]

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The the spliced sections of door post angle change created a slight bulge not visable in this shot... a second vertical relief was required and is visable in the next shot

[​IMG]

10. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

You can see the bulge being compressed which was the easiest to blend the converging angles

[​IMG]

Also you will noticed the roof is taking a slight wedge... I like it... it would be great to take credit if was a design effort... but, it is a combination of the slight curve the Ranchero has since the original front roof line is shared with the tudor sedans and that the middle of the roof had to pancake out to mate with the wider Retract front section

11. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Yep, that looks sweet...might be a problem getting a window glass to roll down all the way but the angles look much better. It would be interesting to see what this door frame angle looks like against the B-pillar.

12. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Sorry, talked with my Father today and all he could tell me is that a guy had a custom shop and was going outa business, so he bought it for 400.00 dollars, and then Butch bought it from him and thats how it made it too the lovely state of Ohio..

13. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I keep saying there won't be a noticable differance... but I just Photoshoped the windshield into the Ranchero and dropped the top until it matched my window openings to get this before and after shot... I need a higher rez file to work with but I believe this is close

[​IMG]

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Thanks... any idea what year?

15. twochops

twochops

Here,s a old photoshop I did of a 57 Ranchero both
    chopped and shorten.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

16. Although the lady is stunning, I believe a necklace with smaller pearls fits the occasion better. Oh, and the car is awesome too!

17. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Best guess 1992/94?

18. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This shows the relationship of the old section (chopped door top from drivers side) against the new opening which is longer at the top and a differant angle

[​IMG]

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This shows the area where the converging curves was flattened with a relief cut follow the post

[​IMG]

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Still trying to visualize the differance... when your standing by the car its hard... if it wasn't already chopped it would have been easy... I borrowed the coupe shot from 55-57 Ford Gassers which is a good post!

[​IMG]

21. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This is the new door mods

[​IMG]

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Photoshoped glass

[​IMG]

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

This was the windshield trim for the Retract... even though the openining stayed the same we repositioned the front roof skin so this is why we will have to use the 300 Series trim or make our own

[​IMG]

24. saltracer

saltracer

Just saw this picture from Grand National Roadster Show

[​IMG]

25. Wow!

26. hmmmmmmmm
    rear of door post sowewhere between front slope and rear sails pitch

should not be a hassle with the glass?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  27. I really like that.. I have invisioned that, thinking that's how things should've been, straight from Ol' Henys' plant.. but that's cool actually seeing it on screen!

28. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Thats Bo Huffs 57

29. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That black one has a GM vent window.

30. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I chopped a 56 1/2 ton and sold without windshield. My friend said they ground
    it down to fit.
    I bought this 57 already chopped. It looks like they did it the "normal way" if
    that makes any sense.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011