Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a 51 Chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grumpy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

If I sell my 51 Hardtop, I think I want to buy a local guys 51 Chevy truck.
    Its clipped, 350/350, camaro rear etc..
    Its also chopped alot...
    The side windows are like 8" openings. I don't like these trucks chopped, especially that much.

But with all things equal, and the price I can buy it for, I'll deal with it for now.

Now, I would consider just swapping cabs, but it has a 50 chevy car dash in it and its cool.

So. I'm thinking maybe my only option is to just cut the roof off, and weld a donor unchopped roof on...

Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions? Anyone done it and have advice?

Thanks

2. You should be able to sell the chopped cab. It would be easier to just switch cabs.

3. 41 mopar

41 mopar

swap cabs. Somebody would kill to have a chopped cab. Just keep looking. my 2 pennies worth.

4. Will the dash come out easily? If so swap cabs if not it should be fairly easy to find another cab for pretty cheap and just put a new top on the one you have.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i think it would be much less work to swap cabs like others suggested. i will bet that you could easily trade the chopped cab to someone who might be afraid to chop there own.

6. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

you can bye new tops 3 window or 5. hell you can get new cabs now. check with chevs of the 40's

7. Have you seen the prices of those :eek: :eek: :eek:??????????

about $9000 plus $300 to ship it. I can buy a lot of stuff for 9grand....joe

8. brewsir

brewsir

If the top was chopped without leaning the posts back I would think it would actually be very easy to cut off a couple of inches above the window level and just weld on another top half from a donor....then you can still sell the roof and door tops and glass to someone else.
    After you make the cuts just make paper templates from the beltline up to the cutlines and transfer to the donor cab...then cut a tad bit extra so you can sneak up on the marks and weld away!!! Hell you may make some bucks selling the old top ...or maybe just find the donor cab and swap tops...then sell the chopped one!!!

9. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Whoa, simma dahn nah:)

10. I think the easiest way would be swap cabs, should be easy to someone to trade for a chopped cab

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Thanks guys.
    Should have said up front, the chop is not done very well. My buddy has spent hours trying to iron it out, and he's a great metal guy.

He's the one who did the dash, so it's done nicely.

I may look into finding a donor roof if I buy it.

Thanks again.

12. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

my .o2 i would pull that dash and swap cabs completely.. it would save alot of time and be alot easier.. that is if the dash isnt welded into the cab..

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

Swap just the top out, take lots of pictures. And let us all have a look. I think it would be interesting to watch...ghost

14. chopo

chopo

ya gotta get that cab up higher to keep the air from building up in front of that scotty!!

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Does the truck still have the original frame?

If it had a frame swap, the body mounts may be unique to that truck and a cab swap will be more than "remove and replace".

16. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube huh!:D

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say while you are at it add 6" to the top like the one Big Bird drove in the Muppet Movie.

18. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

19. diamond dave

diamond dave

send it over to chip foose's crew. they can rap that shit up for you in a 1 hour episode. Or over to pimp my ride, and have them put 17 plasma screens, 22'' rims on it and a nintendo wii in the cab. then just sell the whole truck and buy an unchopped one.

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH NOooo don't unchop it! Never heard of anyone unchopping one.LOL Drive that sucker like it is. I think the 51 Chevy pu does look awkward if chopped too much.Food for thought!They look bitchen with the top cut off at the top edge of the belt line. I have seen them turned into a removable hard top with a mild chop.You could use exhaust tubbing to finish off the upper edge where you cut it off.

21. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Swapping cabs would probably be the easiest, just one thing. Is the VIN stamped on the cab? Could cause some title issues later.

22. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Even though they are 50+ years old they are still a dime a dozen....BUT like other cars/trucks that are 50+ years old they develop problems....namly in the cab corners and cowl corners anf the inner to outer cowl fender mount....if your chopped cab has all of these areas intact....I'd find a donor roof....I've found six that would have been good candidates that were rotted on the low end but the roof was fine...it wouldnt take too much if your low end is cherry to cut off the old and put on the new and not have to bother with the extensive issues of getting a donor cab that had issiues on the low end....

Really it all depends on your cab...if its good except for the roof....find a donor roof, if its buggered on the top and the bottom find a new cab and yank the dash off yours....

and to answer hillbilly's question...the VIN tag is a tag and can be removed...you can get the correct replacement fasteners from classic parts of america to refasten the tag on the new cab if thats what you decide to do

Edit (comment about Slamcouver's statement): Its all perspective I personally dont like them as much unchopped...the proportions are wrong/too tall....BUT if you chop em that screws up the proportion as well as the space below the beltline is too tall for the chop...the way to combat that.....chop AND section! brings the proportions together...As a final note....nothing came perfect from the factory...they were built and designed by humans who are inherintly flawed...perfection is deemed by the owner and the owner alone...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  23. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Thanks for wanting to un-chop this cab. I can't stand those trucks chopped, they came perfect as-is.

24. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm really torn.

I'm looking at a couple different trucks. The chopped one is at my maximum funds. So doing any real changes will set me back.

I'll have a better idea if it's the one by the weekend. Gotta look at one more then decide.

Thanks again.

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Although it may be "fairly easy" to unchop the top, the bigger part would be unchopping the doors and glass; SWAP CABS LIKE MOST SUGGEST. If you can unchop the top, you can surely swap out the dash if you really want the dash that's in it now. And personally, I like themunchopped also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Is the dash hard to remove? If your buddy installed the dash he might be able to tell you how hard it would be to take out.

27. Post pics if you can, we'll decide for ya!

28. moparcory617

moparcory617
    from tuttle ok

i have two cabs i plan on chopping one three inches with a 4 inch section but would be interested in trading if you can post some pics and it can be used as i saw two or three other guys that would trade so i would get the truck and figure out what you want to do along with the help of these guys i do agree a chop only depends dont always look good

29. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Find a donor truck and cut the top off and exchange...

30. anyone can chop a car, but it takes a REAL body man to UNchop it.

Right-on man do it! Chopped trucks are weird. Trucks are for towing race cars and hauling parts.