Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ultrasonic thickness gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatjack, Aug 30, 2011.

1. flatjack

flatjack

I'm thinking of getting an ultasonic thickness gauge for checking the cylinder walls on my engines. I see prices all over the map and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them they would share or any brand recommendations. Thanks, Jack

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I welded some long fingers to a cheap digital caliper and go through the water holes. Would love to get a sonic tester but $600+ is hard to justify if you dont use it everyday.

3. flatjack

flatjack

I've done that too, but pretty limited by the location of the holes. I've got several sets of large pistons, but if you screw up a block, that's just wasting money. I've seen some on that auction site for $200 - $200, but wonder if they are any good?

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Many of the affordable ones are calibrated in MM and the range of accuracy isn't precise enough for cylinder thickness. I've tried a $400 one, and it's just not precise enough and does not register consistent readings. You really have to spend $1100 -$1200 to get one which you'll be happy.

5. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Most good engine shops should have one and be able to measure it for you. Talk with your local NHRA rep- he should have one