Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects UK based 1950 Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfox1950, Apr 30, 2018.

1. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Hi guys

Been a long time lurker on these forums, looking for inspiration for builds both current and future.
    I have had for a year now a 1950 Ford Tudor with a flathead v8 and 3 speed overdrive transmission which came in from Arizona, though was originally from New Mexico and came from a dealership in Santa Fe.

I'll aim to upload some images and keep you updated as to where I am now and what I've managed to do so far, over in the UK as you can imagine its much harder to source parts, and what you can get will usually take quite a while to arrive, so a bit of creativity is needed at times!

However so far I have taken a siezed flathead, stripped it and rebuilt it with 060 over bore, ported and polished inlet and exhaust runners, new rings, bearings and a rebuilt carb and got the car running and driving, with newly rebuilt brakes and am now starting the bodywork side of things.

2. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

0026.jpg 0026.jpg 0030.jpg

So this is the car as it arrived, nice bit of desert baked patina on the paintwork which is being maintained with boiled linseed oil

3. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Wasnt long before i had to get the engine out, it was siezed solid and there wasnt any shifting it, on top of that the desert had destroyed all the wiring and most of the rubber bits so it all needed renewing

0023.jpg 0020.jpg 0022.jpg 0021.jpg
    Out you come.... looking a bit worse for wear in the garage

4. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Started to strip the engine and clean and rebuild it, im sure most of you have seen an 8ba being rebuilt before so im not going to talk you through it all but some pics showing what i started with and where its at now, new bearings, new pistons, rings, couple of new valves and hand ported with a ramp relief.

0051.jpg 0052.jpg 0086.jpg 0082.jpg 0097.jpg 0084.jpg 0103.jpg

Power gen style alternator fitted

0108.jpg

All wired up and running nicely, idling at 650-700 to ensure my alternator charges correctly

0151.jpg 0130.jpg

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Onto some bodywork, has quite a bit of lower body rot to chop out, rocker panels, floors towards the outside of the car, and some of the lower sections on the archs

0111.jpg 0114.jpg 0120.jpg 0122.jpg 0134.jpg
    Not pro work, but its starting to get there, brakes have been rebuilt now and it has had its maiden voyage, as well as being lowered on blocks at the rear and chopped aerostars at the front.

More to come as I tackle the rest of the bodywork and aim to get it back on the road by the summer

neilswheels likes this.
  6. I'd say your on the right track. I know what it takes to get from where you started and where your at took some time. Now on to the hard stuff and knowing when to stop. Rust is a Dirty Dog and hides everywhere. Glad to see it on the road more or less. Your going to enjoy it when done. Here's my driver.
    The Wizzard
    20160624_160403.jpg

tfox1950 likes this.
  7. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Couple of before and afters. Slowly getting there with the external welding repairs. Will be bracing the body this weekend and replacing rockers and floor supports with ems panels Screenshot_20180430-182013.jpg IMG_20180501_212658_334.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

James D likes this.
  8. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

Some more progress, if anyone is on the Shoebox facebook page you'll have already seen these, but for everyone else, I have rebuilt the A and B pillars, fitted the new front floor supports and the outer rockers and realigned the doors

door1.jpg door2.jpg outermine.jpg outermine2.jpg outermine3.jpg

9. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

All just tacked into place at the moment, hence there being no outer skin on the B pillar end, now its all in and solid I can fold up the inner rocker panels and stitch weld them in place, then fit the rear floor mount and then re-align the doors for hopefully the final time before fitting the floors, and then starting on the passenger side, which is in much better condition, this one had no inner or outer sill and the door sagged about 4 inches down when open. You can now use the open door as a jacking point to lift the entire car. Not that i'd recommend that, but its night and day in terms of solidity.

RipBowl likes this.
  10. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

shoebox.jpg
    Finished up the rocker and the b pillar area, cut the rot out of the bottom of the door, and fitted the inner and outer front fender to check what i need to do to get panel gaps correct.

Looks like i'll need to reshape the front of the rocker to move the edge back by about 4mm and unfold the front edge of the door skin at the bottom by about 4mm to get it to correctly follow the curve of the fender, so not much work at all, and its all coming together nicely.

doorskin.jpg

Gurt74 and edcodesign like this.
  11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    Cool, here is a little inspiration, good luck !

tfox1950 likes this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Crazy...That's almost exactly what my '50 looked like when we got it home. Baked to death green paint worn to the red underneath it. Looks like you have a great start to a great car.

13. tfox1950

tfox1950
    from Essex, UK

rearend.jpg Finished off the rear at the weekend, temporarily held the bumper in place to see where I want to chop it to narrow it a bit. Its not being re-chromed so i think i'll section it roughly inline with the body seam, bring it in by 3/4 inch and then do the same to the outer bumper bracket, seems to be the easiest way in my head of getting it done.

warhorseracing likes this.