Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Uh oh, is this fatal (cracked head...)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, May 13, 2015.

1. Dan

Dan

Getting ready to do the heads on my sons '60 chevy p/u and found this...
    can/how do I fix this??

Attached Files:

2. Can't really tell much about it from the pic.

Fill me in on it a little bit?

3. Dan

Dan

I apologize for the poor pic...
    at about 12 and 6 on the sending unit hole you can see a crack...

4. Water jacket correct? Just get it hot and find the ends of the crack, then drill a little hole to stop if from cracking any more. if you are going to weld it then V it out and get some nickel rod and weld it up then peen the devil out of it. if you don't want to weld it drill and tap the little hole and put a screw in it then V it out and fill it with epoxy like JB weld or the like and clean up the threads and screw your sender in it.

Either way would work for me.

1959apache likes this.

5. Dan

Dan

Yes water jacket...
    I was thinking probably the same thing with some JB Weld...
    thanks-

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'd find some other heads

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Chevy heads are cheap and easy to get- why would you fool around with a cracked one? Now if it was a HEMI head or something similar I would say fix it. The jb weld will probably work but I would be very
    pissed if I finished the vehicle and found it was weeping there.

8. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Those heads are very cheap and readily available...try a pick-a-part. I would not goof around trying to fix that head. Like above something exotic maybe a hemi yep but not that. g

9. I like this. Sometimes necessity dictates an "on the fly" repair like this ^^^^ ...... and I'll be damned if the sonofabitch didn't last for the next ten years. Thumbs up for the drill bit/nickel rod repair. For shotpeen we used the air powered bundle of nails thingy. (used for stripping rust/paint) What the heck' is it called ? Stippler ??? Anyways ... about five bucks and a minimal amount of time. Cheap fix.

Thanks PnB. Forgot about that.

10. A needle scaler?

11. Needle scaler?

12. lol you're fast. You are probably correct. More so then me for sure. Quickdraw Saxman. Yes sir, and thanks. HAMB ninjas.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

needle gun, needle scaler
    probably cheaper to find good used pair than have those redone even without the crack.
    if it was on a runner and didn't notice it before- and just going right back on,
    I'd put them on as is and put some stop leak in the coolant.
    don't over tighten the sender, that's likely what cracked it

afaulk likes this.
  14. Its called a needle chipper if you're a welder by trade, I am sure that other trades have other names for them. I have peened welds with the pick side of a chipping hammer too.

@Gene Boul just to be the devil's advocate here ( and I like screwin with you ;) ). I have a set of very trick aluminum heads on a small block because I went through 4 sets of casting looking for a good set back in the '90s. Could be bad luck or good karma depends on how you look at it I suppose. :D