Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 'Ugly Cars' & Audi!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nolly, Apr 20, 2010.

1. the video's been taken off youtube!!!!
    "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Bartle Bogle Hegarty Limited. "
    WTF

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That’s hilarious. I guess Audi didn’t pay the ad agency enough to allow putting their advertisement on Youtube.

I’d think by now that would be the first place any seller would want to put an advertisement.

-Dave

3. I own an Audi A6 Avant (station wagon). This is my second Audi. I've owned something like 135 cars in my life including mostly old stuff as far back as a 1922 Essex and have multiple non-modern cars today. Without a doubt the two Audis have been far and away the two best cars cars I have ever owned. I'd take an R8 Spyder in a heartbeat but it isn't practical so I have one of their wagons.

Now, here is another point. Is anyone going to THANK Audi /Volkswagen for putting many hundred dollars into the pockets of a couple dozen Brit car owners for participating in that commercial? What other car company ever did that? And did those guys all participate very willingly? You bet they did!
    Okay, I will. THANKS AUDI for paying some hot rod owners some real good money to bring their cars out for a couple of days of set-up and filming.

If someone knows what the rod owners got paid, POST IT.

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

In my view the commercial is TRYING to demean the 'other' cars.

...no thanks from me.

5. We are supposed to THANK Audi/Volkswagon for making fun of hot rods and the people who build them??? I hate to inform you that vehicle stand-ins do not make a lot of money (a couple hundred dollars if that). Factor in vehicle transport, taking off time from work, lodging, days of shooting, etc., you'll be lucky to make make a dime.

6. The idea that they made fun of the hot rods is all in your mind. Audi did not do that. They pointed out their own car's agility and modern design.

My best friend "rented" one of his Chrysler 300 Letter Cars to the agency that Chrysler was using back 10 years ago when they introduced the new Chrysler 300s. They transported the car to Phoenix. They flew him to/from Phx from LA. They put him up in a 4 star hotel. They paid his meals. They paid him $1500 PER DAY for the three day use of his car.
    I can tell you HE NEVER COMPLAINED.

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Thats what I reckon too!

Nick.

8. Rem

Rem

I think Gavin will confirm that the owners were fairly well paid for the use of their cars.

However, the point about not "thanking Audi" is valid: the German motor industry seem to think they run the European parliament, and if they had their way there would be NO hot rods, modified cars, or even just plain old cars on the road. Germany is one of the harder countries to legally modify any form of motor vehicle, and they're doing everything they can to impose their laws on the rest of us.

Sorry if this is verging on 'political', but Audi have shown EXACTLY what they think of hot rods.

9. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

You can bitch about all you like, I'm guessing 99% of you have a evenly or probably more terrible car as a daily driver.

Love Audi. Love their V8's, V10's, turbo's, etc. Love every brand of cars that has the balls to stuff massive horsepower engines throughout their entire line of cars.

I love cars. And not just vintage ones.

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

I must be in the 1% then...

Because my daily isnt terrible.

It was built in 1960 in Detroit.

It was Hot Rodded by me.

It has proven to be extremely reliable, useble and affordable.

... And its even On Topic for the HAMB....

11. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

As a TV Commercial Director I know one of the biggest cost in the making of that spot had to be getting rid of the black tire marks on that white floor. Thats frame by frame paint box stuff! And its shot on 35MM film, F*#K video!!!!

12. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Good for you :).

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

That's right...

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

15. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Evenly or MORE terrible than a Volkswagen? ...99% of us??

...A Volkswagen??? I don't think so.

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

17. Muttley

Muttley

That Audi is [​IMG].

18. chris55

chris55

^^^^Now that's funny^^^^

19. 8pints

8pints
    from UK

The person that built this car is currently refurbing a 49 merc of mine.
    As posted on here

The A is channeled over a 4x2 box frame Running a 460ci BBF
    rear axle is 1968 Ford LTD
    Front axle is Model A with 1968 LTD Hubs & drum brakes
    The wood pickup bed was fitted in the 1940s during fuel rationing
    because you got more fuel for a commercial vehicle
    The diff & fenders are in the box on the back which has been sectioned
    3 inch so you can see out of the rear window

20. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

:eek::eek::eek: Now that would be RAD!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

22. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

The old American cars were rad. Letting them crash was dumb. The Audi was just plain dumb.

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I wonder if Audi would have been quite as keen to pit their 'beauty' against a white room full of high end Kustoms.:cool:
    Maybe the best drive ever,but it's still a soulless modern euro shitbox that looks about as beautifull as any other soulless modern shitbox spewed out for the grey masses nowadays.I'm with metalshapes.
    I'll stick with my '54 thanks

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ohh gezzz,, be serious. If you are a car person ,,you should be just that . an appreciation for all things car.. How many times have the " traditionalists " said don't use a banjo rear ?? or a 3 speed ,, cause there weak ..! Hell back then thats all they had..This advert shows some great old cars as well as new technology,, One needs to evolve and learn so they know.

This sounds alot like the Ford vs Chevy stuff back in High School

enjoy the advert,,and stop whining

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

A-fricken'-men:mad:
    Paul

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This is why if you’d asked, I’d have told you I’m an old car person. I do appreciate some modern cars, especially the chassis and driveline tech of a modern performance car like the Audi, but their styling usually leaves me cold. I blame the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety or whatever they are.

And this ad, while it showcases some cool cars, is really crafted from the perspective of “out with the old, in with the new”, which I think largely runs contrary to the spirit of this board. We’re not blind consumers here.

-Dave

27. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Don't assume my distain is in ignorance. I know all about them. I'm willing to bet I know more about them than you do. I've driven AND worked on plenty of Audi vehicles. In fact, I'm putting an engine in a twin turbo A6 at the shop right now. An Audi is a twelve piece hammer, and a POS. The commercial is demeaning and it offends me. Just facts, sorry if you don't agree.

...I guess I should turn in my 'car person' card now.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This "new" car commerical is pretty cool.

29. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

hope that a lot of people will sell theyr hotrods cheap to run to buy a new audi r8

30. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Amen.