Register now to get rid of these ads!

UGH! Parents! Kinda O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Sep 27, 2007.

1. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Your mom will get over it. My parents weren't too happy to see a bright orange Mustang pop up in their driveway one morning at 3 am. It was already there, there wasn't much else they could do or say about it, even though they had forbid me to buy it. The worst than can happen is you'll end up parking it at Darnells Garage. ;)

2. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

that is a disturbing suggestion. you are one sick puppy:eek:

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

MOVE OUT! Then you have to worry about getting a car because you won't have any money! -stick

4. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

LMAO. you know what I meant. I didn't literally mean screw your mom. Just screw this bs and do it.

Just keep in mind once you get there...
    "That's the last time you run that mechanical asshole in here without an exhaust hose... I catch you doing it one time, and you're out, you understand? HUH?"

5. 66gmc

66gmc

Yeah im 16 and I had the same problem with some model A stuff I got when i was 15. Parents said no and i got it anways. Well i got a bunch of privledges removed but I still have it. Its definately not the best way to get something but if all else fails and you really want it...what are ya gonna do.

6. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

See it works out to your advantage. Being grounded = more time to work on the car.

7. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I think if you sit down with her and really explain the mpg differance and the value of the 2 cars , (hell the chev is already worth more than the Lincoln if it's in decent shape,) and make her believe that the car is truly a classic and not just an old junker, you might have a shot. Be reasonable with her and don't flip her any shit about it. I'd love a 65 SS but then I'd have to sell my 55 to get it and leave the HAMB because it's too new.That would suck. If it isn't already, the 65 can be made to ride, handle and be just as "safe" as the other and look alot better doin it. Good luck

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Pussies... :eek:

9. DrJ

DrJ

"Suggest" to Mom that if she really want's the Lincoln around she can buy it from you.

Actually I think you already blew it by discussing the deal with your parents in the first place.
    You shoulda just gone and done it!
    Now, you have their/her opinion and you have to go against it.
    After all, even if you don't sell it for this deal, you will have to unload it some day.
    Next time just DO IT!

10. Squablow

Squablow

Says the guy from North Carolina.

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Sounds like you are looking for an 'old' daily driver.

If you're in NY, you're already really spoiled as to how a '97 ANYTHING will react to cold weather. Are you prepared to go out and start your 1960's car on those cold mornings, stay in it until it warms up, then drive thru slushy shit to get where you're going, knowing full well you are destroying vintage tin?

If you were down south, I'd say go for the old car...but where you are...hmmm...I'd make the Lincoln my bitch...and save up for a nice weather driver, IMHO.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If it makes you feel better, by the time I approached 30, dad started admitting all the "ones that got away". All were cars I found while they were looking to replace a daily driver, but were just too bold for them to get on board. Oh man, particularly painful memories include a red/white 64 imp SS 409/4 speed, and an orange ram air 69 Judge. Both beautiful cars priced around $3k. Doh!

You can't own em all.

BTW, you can't use repair costs to justify the swap. Some parts will be cheaper, but anything repro will be just as much as new lincoln parts. Old cars nickel and dime ya to death.

Start saving and add a car to your fleet, that's my advice.

13. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

If the car is yellow with a cobbled on single exhaust forced by the City of Detroit, then it used to belong to my grandpa.

Really though, if you felt that you wanted the car enough-and it seems like your daily is pretty much "your car", and you can turn it around. Then do it. It'll probably be cheaper to maintain.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The problem may be what you wrote in the start of this thread. You are constantly working on your present car. She's just tired of you dumping money into a car. She probably would be okay withsomething that is ready to drive. One of the hardest things to do, when you're living at home, is build a dream car that is also your daily driver. All your mom sees is you under the hood all the time. Try and see things from a parents point of view.

Oh, if she DID decide to go off...... she could legally kick you out of the house. It doesn't sound like she would, but I've known guys that got bounced out for less. Of course that was 30yrs ago when no one knew what CPS meant.

Good luck.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Parents can be a pain in the butt. Don't give up. I've been at this car thing for over 40 years. I was over 40 and still fighting with my old man about the car thing, then one day a local brought a copy of HotRod to the local morning coffee hang out with my 32 Ford 5 window featured in the center, changed his attitude and we got along fine with the car thing until his death.