Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical U.S. Radiator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kenwood, Feb 22, 2018.

1. kenwood

kenwood
    from ne ohio

Has anyone used a radiator by U.S. Radiator. This would be used with a flathead V8.

Thanks Ken

3340 likes this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used two in 40 fords with 327's nice quality and ran cool--they were copper and brass-getting ready to order another soon

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I sent them one for my 39 Ford with SBC. I sent it so they could use the side pieces and so that they exactly duplicate it. It never occurred to me to tell them to leave the radiator cap dead center where God and Henry Ford put it. They sent back a high quality radiator with the radiator cap set behind the top tank where I cant see the water level...at all. I'm still pissed that they did that. There was NO reason to do that

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Running one in my 59 ford. No trouble, high quality. Fit great.

MMM1693 likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run one in my 56 Ford and highly recommend them. They have 3-4 different configurations so make sure you get the correct one for your application. I went with copper-brass also. It was made with the tank as an exact copy of original.

6. kenwood

kenwood
    from ne ohio

Thanks for the in put .

7. I won a gift certificate for a U.S. Radiator at the very first Goodguy's show in Charlotte,North Carolina and I was in the process of building a 29 Roadster on 32 rails.

I was happy winning a radiator but when I called to place the order the person that answered the phone didn't have a clue as to what Goodguys was or anything about a free radiator.

I then got in touch with Goodguys and eventually spoke to Gary and he assured me there was no problem and he would take care of the problem and get me the radiator I requested within the next few days.

3 weeks later with the expiration was nearing I called Goodguys again and ask for Gary but was told he was away on business but the lady I talked to said she would call U.S. Radiator and see if Gary had talked to them, I gave her my number and before the day was over she returned my call and said the radiator was on the way.

The following Monday I received notification from U,S, Radiator that they had the radiator in stock but they needed me to pay the shipping with a credit card.

This was the first I had heard I was expected to pay the shipping but I did and I received the radiator the next week and it was made very well but after all the going back and forth they sent me a stock 29 radiator which is to0 short and not what I ordered.

Bottom line,I sold it to a friend and it's still in his 29 sedan and to my knowledge he has never had a problem.

BTW,I won a gift certificate for a Walker Radiator at the NSRA Nat's South in Knoxville,Tennessee several years ago,fortunately I didn't have any problems getting the radiator and I had it installed in the Ranch Wagon a week later.

I prefer the copper/brass radiators and there is no doubt they are traditional. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago wife's 55 ran a little warm. Installed a Griffin and it ran just as hot if not hotter-same with another 55 we build with a hot 327. Got a US radiator (copper/brass) and no more issues!

Moriarity likes this.
  9. I was never happy with a Griffin Radiator,I suppose that experience soured me on aluminum radiators.

I will admit the 4 door hidoy had a aluminum radiator when I traded and I never had a problem,I don't know who made it. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  10. Canuck

Canuck

Ran one in my 30 A coupe. Never went over 200 in city traffic with hood sides on in 90+ degree days. 6 blade mechanical fan and never got a shroud made. Size and placement of brackets/fake filler neck etc were dead on. Frame was a little lighter gauge than original Ford.

Engine was a 425 Buick/Automatic.

I was quite happy with their product.

Canuck

olscrounger likes this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The 10 year old US Radiator in my 57 has had a pinhole seep in the top tank seam for a few years. It finally turned into more than a seep. I will take it to a local shop and see if they can fix it. But if they estimate too much of a cost, I will probably just buy a new radiator. I'd get another US if the price is right.

I use Walkers in all my early cars. They fit well and look good.

The place I wont buy a radiator from is Custom Auto Radiator. On the one I ordered from them for my 29 the side supports could be seen from the front with the shell on it. When I tried to return it they said sorry, that's the way they are and since you ordered it for a SBF, we wont take it back. Even though it looked like crap I ran it for a few years until it developed a leak. I pull that SOB out and got a Walker.

12. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

Running one of their brass copper in my 61 Fairlane. I would recommend the to anyone

13. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Installed a US Rad in my 62 Cutlass about 12 years ago. This car always over heated. With their triple pass system, cooling problems resolved. Never had a problem since day one and it was an exact match of the factory original except the upper inlet was moved to the other side.

Warren

14. kenwood

kenwood
    from ne ohio

Thank you for all of the comments . Have no idea what radiator to use. Most likely a Walker. More money but I guess better.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd never use a goodguys radiator in anything that wasn't air cooled.