Register now to get rid of these ads!

***U.S.A 1966 a Hot Rodding Trip of a lifetime.MANY pictures***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I'm just blown away looking at these....

2. A4ord

A4ord

Gee,just hop down to the local newsagent and pick up several copies of Custom Rodder(1966-67issues) and read all about it.These guys did the ultimate trip for Aussies back then.But in 1966 the Americans came down with their dragsters(Bob Keith,Bob Mayer,Ed Roths wild dragster,Tony Nancy or was that '67) and gave everyone a taste of what it was like over there. I remember seeing them and thinking I must go,it took until 2005 before I finally got to go and now it's called nostalgia.Larry O'Toole has put out a couple of books on Australian Hot Rodding but I don't know if they are available over there. Be good to see some more of that trip. Keep on roddin'

3. Hey Corey make sure you thank your Swifty for letting you share these fantastic pix will all our rodding brothers WORLDWIDE, and thanx for taking the time to put em up. PRICELESS !!

Jeezuz im envious of you having an old man like that and being able to share these memories with him and all of us. Geez my old man couldnt even be bothered coming out to see me fire up the flathead for the first time.....

You are a lucky man indeed !!

And Binga, I think we should ALL chain ourlseves to Petes bucket and 5W till the screening at casa la Swift.

Ain't this what hot rodding and the HAMB are all about??

One of the BEST posts Ive ever read on the HAMB period !!

Top stuff Flatoz !!

Rat

4. Absolutely fantastic.
    I'm so exited, we'll be going on a roadtrip x-country next month. NJ - IL and then the Mother road to CA. It's gonna be great : )

Oh I found another pic of that Merc concept car!

Klaus

Attached Files:

5. wfopossum

wfopossum

Awesome post! I think thats something we'd all love to do at some point in our lives.Except for the bad milk.

6. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Thanks for taking the time to post!

7. rare32

rare32

wow Corey,awesome post.
    makes my 4 day trip to Melbourne look pretty average ;)

would love to see more of these pics soon

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

9. flatoz

flatoz

Well this is the last of it, as in what I have. I picked out the others thinking that they would be the more interesting ones and left these ones and the ones PEDDRO posted out.

again, hope you enjoy.

The rear shot of the T bucket. There were alot of T shots, as the old man had built a T in '62 so I guess he was interested in the U.S versions.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what this is, the old man would know, as he wrote on each slide what things were. great now for remembering.

something converted into a ute.

[​IMG]

This is the '67 cougar that they went with Don Spinney ( sp) to do the 'car craft' article on the old man has a breif case with alot of cool old stuff from the trip, there are passport size shots of this car in there.

[​IMG]

Cant remember what this is, but its big and its cool. Lincoln/Packard??

[​IMG]

I think this was out on the salt? injected 57 still big news back then.

[​IMG]

Another show shot, not sure if the owner was trying to fool people or the sign writer didnt know better.

[​IMG]

More T buckets.

[​IMG]

another wrecking yard.

[​IMG]

An accident that they obviously came across. Gal infront.

[​IMG]

looking out the back window of the wagon, with T bird following and the offending truck.

[​IMG]

Show shot again.

[​IMG]

some wrecked cars. sad sight...

[​IMG]

a side shot of the T.

[​IMG]

some one would have to remember this car? I'm not sure what it is.

[​IMG]

10. flatoz

flatoz

A workshop somewhere, this would have to have some significance, but I dont know. Have to wait for the old man to chime in.

[​IMG]

Deuce Tudor

[​IMG]

Dad posing with the collection of licence plates he bought home with him.

[​IMG]

If you have a look in the back ground you can see where they ended up.

[​IMG]

The drags somewhere.

[​IMG]

Val wagon, as the old mans daily was the sedan version of these he probably wanted a photo of the wagon, something we never got.

[​IMG]

closeup of that moon tank.

[​IMG]

Dave50 likes this.
  11. twochops

twochops

Flatoz:( something converted into a ute.

1958 Chevy---------------TwoChops

Attached Files:

12. This Chevy is Dave Crook's, I don't see the side trim it had so that is probably why it is green with the gold still in the middle.
    [​IMG]

13. alchemy

alchemy

[​IMG]

This pickup was seen by me at the 2005 Des Moines, Iowa GoodGuys show, for sale. Looked very much the same.

14. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

What a great story and pictures...Thanks...

Glenn

15. twochops

twochops

Attached Files:

16. flatoz

flatoz

One thing with this pickup that I dont know if people picked up on, is the perspex firewall. pretty cool, but not sure how it would go with the heat?

17. Is there a perspex firewall? I was thinking that the car was just being displayed with the firewall unbolted (ie not fitted), I say this because there doesn't appear to be any form of mounting for the perspex to be effectively fitted to...?

Cheers,

Drewfus

18. creesto

creesto
    from Ohio

Aw crap! Photobucket says "bandwidth exceeded" and I didn't get to see the slides!! Aurgh.

Hey, if you get a wild hair about doing a book, I'm a graphic designer who has done books. I agree with the other folks: this would be an awesome piece of lit and I'll bet you could do a short print run and sellout right here on the HAMB.

19. Bert

Bert

bandwidth crap........from what I can see, very nice indeed corey....:) ...we need to look after our australian hotrod heritage and find out what went on where....before all the old buggers leave this world for the next one:D ....I do regret not taking the time to talk to my grandfather about his indian racing days at fishermans bend ....stories, memories lost forever:( .........Bert

20. flatoz

flatoz

Sorry guys,

Have deleted a heap from my account, that should see it ok now. I am able to view the photos though???

21. Bert

Bert

still says the same thing....hope it aint my setup.......Bert

22. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Flatoz, That "Something converted to a ute" was known as the "Underdog".It was built from a '58 Chevy by Dale Shellenbarger of Skyline Customs in about 1965.His shop was in Cridersville,Ohio. It was later owned by Chester Carey of Lima,Ohio.Chester passed away a few years ago and it was sold.Don't know where it is now.

23. flatoz

flatoz

Sorry guys,

so many hits have seen my free photobucket account reach its limit, I have bought the better account so they should be up again soon. Can some one let me know when you can see them again. Hate to think I paid for something and its not working.

cheers.

24. I can see them Corey.

Gotta say this post just gets better and better.
    Makes me wish my old man was into cars.

Binga

25. Rikster

Rikster

FANTASTIC!!!

What a trip back in time. Thank you and your father so much for sharing these great memories.

And please keep them comming.

26. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL

27. Alright we have pics!!!!!!

To the Swifts I say thanks for sharing what looked to be the trip of a lifetime.
    Corey now you seriuosly need to get these scanned and backed up in triplicate! Far to good to loose....

My offer stands as the inlaws will be overseas for about 3 months from midyear on so I'm sure we can get the slide scanner easily enough. Perfect winter project :D

28. Swifty how come you haven't chimed in yet.
    Surely that computer hasn't crashed again.
    Corey do you know what has happened to your old man?

Binga

29. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Hey flatoz Great story! Thanks for posting all those pics, I hope you have more. Thank your dad for sharing his stories with us, he sure is a cool dude. It was neat he met Duane Kofoed. Dave Simard introduced me to Duane in '02 and we spent the day together. What a great guy he is and a great story teller. Fred Steele is another guy who could write a book about all his adventures, he is legendary around here. Thanks again for digging up the slides but more importantly the stories that go with them.

30. Buckle

Buckle

Awesome Thread! Great Story, thanks for showing the pics, very cool.

Buckle