Register now to get rid of these ads!

History U.S. 30 Links {ILLINOIS}

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slowforty, Apr 6, 2009.

1. slowforty

slowforty

2. a.y1320

a.y1320

Thats depressing

3. I remember U.S. 30, and the great ads while listening to John Landecker on WLS while building models late on summer nights waiting for my dad to get home from work. I bet the "great ones" wouldn't even consider running on a split lane track like that today.
    Did they start the Sunday...Sunday...Sunday ad campain? Being 10 years old in 1971, I Quoted that US30 ditty while hanging out at the guys garage across from my uncles house in Roseville, outside of Detroit. He looked at me kinda funny and asked if I wanted a ride in his Road Runner. It was a Hemi 4 speed car. We took a route around a ramp to a "finished" portion of 696. That was my first fast ride. Thanks to whoever did start those ads.

4. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

Man that is a bummer. I belive US 30 and Oswego Dragway are both for sale.I'm sure they will end up as condos or something

5. slowforty

slowforty

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Pretty sad! Same thing with OCIR, here today gone to housing.

Thought about re-opening a dragstrip off Beeline hwy in Phoenix area, used to be one there and still has the announcers tower.

Someone has to step up to the bureauocrats and bring back the good things.

BTW: Whatever happened to that dragstrip that someone had posted as trying to get HAMBERS to go in and purchase for $500k, believe it was Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas?

7. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I know my Dad and Uncle raced their '70 Cuda (called Halfbreed) there in the mid-late 70's. I was there as a really young kid, but sadly don't remember much.

8. Chance it

Chance it

Like some of those above I grew up listening to WLS we'd all chime in and do the Sunday Sunday Sunday thing right with the ad. We'd also head up to the "Grove" Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove Wisconsin. Back then they had powder puff races for the girls. Guys would put their keys on back bumper, girls ran up grabbed keys and raced the car. Such great fun and memories. I've been gone a long time now and I sat here staring at the pictures. Just breaks your heart.

9. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I remember riding up to the U.S. 30 dragstrip with my girl friend (wife now)in the back seat of my buddies brand new Millionth Vega. Couldn't hardly walk time we got there (all stoved up). Anyway we went to watch 6 of the nations leading wheelstanders that day, it was awsome. Only 5 were able to run. I remember The Little Red Wagon, a wheelstanding Vette, the Hemi Under Glass, and maybe the Chuck Wagon. Hemi Underglass lost it and went off to the side and finally set the front end down right before he got to the guardrail, what a show! There were also some stunt motorcycles that day. I'd ride in the backseat of a Vega again to relive those days.

10. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

My only memory of 30 was getting to ride back in the seat of My dads buddie Dave Delsasos dragster. i was pretty little but they towed the dragster back down the return lane with me in the seat feeling like i was making a 150 mile hour pass. What i remember most was them telling me "whatever you do don't touch that button" i still don't know what the hell that shinny red button did but i didn't want to find out back then.

11. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I raced at both in the late 60s..first with a 57 vette..(Mr K). A few other cars. Some great times. I moved from Chicago to the west..then to Tucson in the early/mid 70s.
    Sad to see..but all things change.

Just not for the better in this case..

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ