Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical U-Joints....How do you do them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ...after the u-joint is installed,.I lightly tap the cross to push the cups in the yoke away from each other seating them up against the c-clips, so the cross moves freely by hand with no bind...

2. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I have beat them with a hammer too, but I agree a press makes them a lot easier. Hardest part is keeping the driveshaft level while doing them. A press is one of those things that is only used occasionally, but when you need it there is nothing like it to save time and beating on stuff. You do have to be cautious with a press, but well worth it to me. Mine is home-made from big channel (I think it is 3x12 and 3/8 thick) from a metal scrap yard and a 20 ton bottle jack. It has served me well for over 20 years now.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Raise your hand if you've found a bearing needle on the bench......after finishing the job.:mad:

4. Or the cap won't seat... pull it apart and find 1 smooshed needle bearing at the bottom of the cup....

6-bangertim, GuyW and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I can tell you boys have been there! ..... I ‘ve been there!

Bones

loudbang and deathrowdave like this.
  6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Anyone have specific replacement brand U joint that have you been using that are a good quality ?, would like to replace the 117,000 originals in my 1 ton truck before pulling to Byron next year .
    Salty
    Before I start, is that a .125 hammer for disassembly, and .020 hammer for reassembly. ;)
    Norb

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

i knock em out with a hammer and correctly supported beneath, iirc a 1-1/4 12pt sock is perfect for my sizes.. beware, i tried an impact gun and one of those huge clamps and i bust a $300 piece - i would NOT use impact cos you cant tell how loaded up it is..

The clamps work GREAT for putting the new ones in, since you heavily grease the needles before so they dont fall out, banging on them STILL makes them drop now and then - HIGHLY annoying... when you use the large clamp you can pay attention and keep the cross half in each cup so the tee needles stay in place and you get feed back if something is going wrong.. and its alot more gentle so needles stay put. and yes, they HAVE to be loose or firm loose, anything tight is bad.. the outside circlips are the worst because the only way to get the cup out is to put the thing in a vice and twist the yoke off it! ALWAYS wear safety glasses, those clips are one thing but the brittle bearing cases can send steel flying REAL fast if they shatter :/ would REALLY suck actually if you got blinded by such a relatively simple job!

Ive thought about getting a hand press.. but when they are rusted you almost need the impact of a hammer blow to crack em loose.. little heat on the yoke can help too if they are bad. I have a boat shop so see some pretty bad stuff..

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. Only use Spicer or Dana U-Joints. They are the best. They are also made by the same company. Those of us who have been around for awhile, know them as Spicer brand, but the last time I looked them up on the Rock, the name was Dana. You guys haven’t lived until you have changed a Spicer series 1810 U-Joint in a driveshaft with a 4-1/2 diameter .259” wall thickness shaft while laying in a landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Tickety Boo like this.
  9. TimCT

TimCT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for Spicer U joints.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And then there are the two-piece driveshaft!

Chavezk21 likes this.
  11. TimCT

TimCT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And those fantastic OE joints without clips that need to have the plastic pins melted out of them...though in fairness, it IS kinda fun to watch that worm squirt itself out.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I'm in the "2 sockets and a vise" crowd. One socket to push the cup through, larger one on the opposite side to allow the other cup to push out.

I tried it on my press once, but didn't have the "feel" of doing it in the vice.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. thintin

thintin

two sockets and a vice for along time then a couple pieces of DOM tubing tweaked to fit. If ya take your time it's all good. Attention to the yokes as far as clean up prior to re-install is real important from my perspective. Greasing the new joints for sure and checking to make sure all the needle bearings are laying in the cups right, with today's hinky mfg. quality it always pays to check prior to re-assembly.

6-bangertim and Boneyard51 like this.