Register now to get rid of these ads!

U-Joint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35Chevy.com, Mar 8, 2009.

1. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I am a rear from an S10 for my 35 Chevy project.

The rear currently has a double U-Joint.

Should I keep it, or opt for a single U-Joint?

What is the advantage of a double U-Joint?

Thanks, Gary

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have to change the flange on the rear end to a yoke style if you were to go to a single U joint on the rear. At least that would be the normal thing to do.

There is probably no real advantage to keeping the cv joint setup for the 35. Just a thought but I thought that the S-10 rear ends came with a Yoke for a single U joint. At least the one out of the 86 4x4 that I have in the yard does.

I'm just curious but what year an model of S-10 did that rear end come out of and did you see the truck it came out of?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  3. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

A 2x4 short bed S10 will have the single joint yoke. The double joints and carrier bearings are a long bed/extended cab thing.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It has everything to do with the angle of the driveshaft in relation to the rear end. If you need it you need it. If you don't you don't. They are used where the pinion points at the driveshaft. If the U joiunts are phased correctly (ie parallel to one another) you don't need a double cardan. They are used quite comonly on 4X4s.

5. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Im guessing if I were to leave it in, setting the pinion angle would less of a concern???

Gary

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that is the original intent of that style joint. They are common on rear wheel drive Cadillacs with the load leveling shocks.

See what your driveshaft guy says and go from there.

And I learned something today so it is a good day for me.

7. Would that not make pinion angle less critical? Probably never an issue on a properly set up conentional suspention. But, I wonder if it would make a bagged car more drivable at different altitudes. I don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering.