Register now to get rid of these ads!

u-joint clocking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Nov 15, 2011.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

Okay, before I get flamed, I did a search but ould not find what I wanted. This may sound crazy, but, do I line up the steering joints opposite of each other so I do not get that crazy up and down motion or do I have another problem?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you're getting that up-n-down your shafts may just be angled too steeply for the joints to function correctly. All u-joints have a maximum angularity for proper function.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

From Borgeson;

U-Joint Orientation​
    When two joints are used on a shaft, the forks of the yokes
    closest to each other should be in line, or “in phase.” Premature
    wear or binding can result if the u-joints are not phased
    properly. Sometimes if the u-joints are at a severe angle,
    even if they are phased correctly, a hard spot in the steering
    may occur for no apparent reason. If this happens, index the
    u-joints two or three splines in one direction. The hard spot​
    should disappear or be minimized.

4. F.Y.I. "IF" your issue is from a steep angle they do make a double joint in 1 unit to help out with this issue. When done correctly they should line up just like your driveshaft joints, center of caps on the same line.
    The Wizzard

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to BORGERSON site, they have a section on u-joint clocking, angle, they say 35 deg. max.

6. Another thing to mention... How many u-joints in the intermediate shaft? If you only have 2, you're ok. More than that and you will need some sort of a support bearing for the shaft.

The inner yokes at each end should be aligned with each other.

7. Jimv

Jimv

They should be "phased" which means that they should be in the same position.
    JimV

8. Cerberus

Cerberus

A few years back, I installed a 200 4R and 8.5 in my '68 Camaro. Did research on the way GM phased the u joints on the driveshaft. GM phased the u joints 15 degrees from each other. GM did it to preload the drive shaft. Some drive shaft shops don't think this was necessary. I asked Drive Line Service to do this with my driveshaft because the 8.5 rear end required the shaft be shortened 3/4". They didn't object. Its been three years now with no issues. And yes, the car has been over 120 mph with no issues. The shop that made my avatar's drive shaft said it is not necessary to phase the u joints 15 degrees and he's been in business over 25 years.