Register now to get rid of these ads!

Typical Early Caddy Rebuild Costs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superjunkman, May 3, 2013.

1. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I've got a 390 that's a never rebuilt runner. I've heard some nutty numbers thrown around and I'm interested to see what kind of money you guys have sunk into these early Caddies. I'm planning on new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, seats, pushrods, and just an all around clean up. What am I in for money wise.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. Just to give you an idea. Here's my parts and machine work bill from 97 or so on my 365. That didn't include tune up parts or water pump, hoses, belts and all the other stuff you buy for a new engine. It was spendy back then and will probably be more now.

3. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

I just had my 390 rebuilt last year. .040 over on the pistons, stainless steel valves, rod and mains/Std size. I reused the cam and lifters (almost new~500 miles) I spent $2100 getting it rebuilt. Engine is stock except for overbore.

Curly

4. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Just about anything but a SBC or maybe a Ford 5 liter is going to cost two grand to build nowadays. I don't think the Cad is specially bad.

5. rld14

rld14

$2100 sounds awful reasonable to me compared to what it's going to cost to do my Lincoln's 430.

I think what may be confusing the OP is that some guys on here have spent big money building performance Caddy engines. Speed parts alone can cost a fortune for them.

If you're simply fixing a tired engine then $2k-2500 without labor sounds about right.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not the same engine, but I have $3000 in pretty much a stock rebuild on the 394 Olds in my rpu project. Nothing special, just a good machining job and the parts to put it back together.

As was mentioned, any time you start playing with one of the non sbc engines you are going to pay extra for the pleasure.

Don

7. pdq67

pdq67

FWIW, my home made 496 BBC is right at $4,000 or so (2000/2001 yr dollars) for my tow truck engine, so go from there.

And I would go a 500 Cad up to a 550" engine in any rebuild by me.

If Packard and I could get together, we would create a siamesed(Sp?) bore Packard or a 500" Cad block and go..

pdq67

8. oldolds

oldolds

My guess would be over $2500 for a stock rebuild, with proper machine work. Last I checked a major overhaul kit for a 394 olds was around $1800. Cad should be about the same. Add machining costs plus assembly time. Don is right on the money!

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I spent $2000 to rebuild a 500" Caddy a little over 2 years ago...that was everything new, including machining to stock specs and assembly...

R-

10. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys. What I'm hearing is about what I expected.

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

mine was about 3k total on a 365 stroked with a 390 crank/rods. machine shop bill for machine work, assembly and some of the parts was about $2100 and I supplied the pistons and and some other odds and ends. that was 10 years ago.