Register now to get rid of these ads!

TX Registration & Plate Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I guess I sorta understand how the process works for YOM. But I'm difficult. I dont want '29 Plates, I want '59 Plates. There are hot rods from the fifties out there that are legally registered with 50's plates. Yes it's because they were issued those plates in the fifties but anyhow that's what I want. I have not yet titled the car or anything. I'm going to get a bonded title.

Any insight as to how this can happen?

Is there a way to register it as a '59-1929 Ford?

SOL?

Thanks!

2. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

they may have the tag on -- but no way to make it legal. yom tag in texas must match the year of the car.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Option 4 was- register as an antique and keep my 59 plates and deal with the fallout if I get harrassed.

I know that technically youre limited with antique plates. Is there another way to register without having to let "Joe Shmoe" "test" out the brakes or get his foot caught on the gas pedal or any number of other horrors.. AKA go through inspection?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, It's the year model of the car not the year you want to be lost in. That won't fly.

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

6. gfr220

gfr220

Model Year Plates

Have the original, model year plates for a vehicle? As long as they're Texas-issued, have the proper color, and are in a usable condition, you may apply to use them by completing either the classic or the antique vehicle form, whichever fits the situation.
    Bring the form and plates with you to your county tax office, where the plates will be inspected for suitability of use.
    It costs $10 annually to display the plates, although local extra fees may be added.

7. What he said!!^^^^

8. suede57ford

suede57ford

I had a friend just call me after leaving the Lubbock Tax Office and the lady at the counter told him that after 12/1/2012 they now longer register YOM plates to "Antique" in Texas.

She told him only the goofy model t character plates were allowed on Antique.

Has anyone else encountered this????

I heard the law only prevented new renewals of "Classic", but Antique was still the same.

I hope they did not ruin it for us. Has anyone registered Anitique with YOM lately?

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Here in Big D they have to be painted the correcct original colors, not have any rust ( and they mean any... as in had to repaint mine for a "speck" of rust.) and have to be the same year as your vehicle, and your good. For what you wanna do, you just gotta do it and hope for the best. Ive heard "rumors" of guys "like us" running around for years without proper plates, stickers, etc... as long as it insured of course. You might have to risk it to get that biscuit, naaaa mean... Good luck

10. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

I went to the Texas DPS website and found this...
    http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_plates/qualifying/plate.htm?id=142&cat=antique
    Which is about useless.

So I pulled up the text of the Transportation Code here....
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.504.htm and in subchapter F, section 504.501, subsection B....I find the following.

(b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department. The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

Then there's some drivel about the difference between custom vehicle and a street rod, and there's a requirement for an inspection, but under this section it appears that running YOM plates is still allowed under the registration of a custom or street rod, but an inspection is required.

So we work down to section 504.502 which covers Antique vehicle registration. Standard drivel for age and no exhibitions, no daily drivers....blah, blah. But all the way down to subsection C we find that....

(c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate.

Gist of this is that there are still a couple ways to run YOM plates in Texas, regardless what the folks behind the DPS counter say. If they don't like it, it doesn't matter. Their job is to provide a service to the public in accordance with the established law. The law is posted and presented for your reference, so if they counter folks push back, print this off and show them what is required of their department.

11. DK23

DK23

I registered my '28 with original TX '28 plates in Feb 2012. The plates had not ever been refinished, and had plenty of "patina" (rust) and some denting. The original colors were evident, but to say the letters were still white would be overly optimistic.
    I think evaluating the "acceptable" condition just depends who you get behind the counter when you bring in your plates. I suggest if you start to get hassled about the condition of your plate, leave, and come back another time to another clerk or other office.

12. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

i have heard of a few guys getting custom plates with the same numbers and letters as whatever old plate they had and then just kept the new plates in the trunk incase of the fuzz. i dont know how long they did it or if they ever got jacked with it because of it but thats what i was thinking of trying....whats the worst they are gonna do tell you to swap it?....it should just be a "fix it ticket" if anyhting

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"Fix it ticket" in Texas? Never heard the phrase except from Californians.
    If you are displaying improper license plates there is a fine for that. If you run "regular" plates and don't have the windshield sticker and safety inspection sticker there is a fine for both of those.
    Easiest to run regular plates, stickers and not to worry about police at all.

14. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

lol im from cali! but yes texas has fix it tickets i have had more than a few, the way im talking about you would still have the stickers in your window, same plate numbers as your "real" plate. just the old plate showing.

15. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I ran a '56 California plate on my Model A for a while, cops and state troopers would wave at me. :D I'd just run whatever plate you want but keep the real deal in the car, if you get pulled over "it was in a photo shoot" and you forgot to put the real plate back on.

16. Don't do a bonded title, take the time and request a title hearing. There is a little leg work involved, but in the end you will have a blue title in your name. As far as YOM tags, find ones that are the same year as your vehicle and you should be good to go. like it was stated before, some of the people behind the counter don't understand what you are tryin to do, be patient and you will get what you need.

17. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

yup:D

18. I may be a bit late to the table and actually don't really bring any insight to that table, but I'd suggest getting in touch with Bass. '59 Texas plates were run on the Texas Playboy. Whether they're legit legal plates or not I guess would be the question. Either way, I'm sure Bass could offer some insight as he's pretty knowledgeable in what seems to be all things hot rod. I remember seeing two different plates. One beginning LH and the other 9P which looks to be a dealer plate. Both '59 though.

Attached Files:

19. Dealer plates are no longer accepted for YOM.

20. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Like I said^

I seriously doubt any of these guys are running them legal, YOM plates don't work like that in Texas.

21. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

Maybe things have changed (a lot) since I went through this, but just about any license plate can end up on any car here in Texas, just takes time and perseverance.

22. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I'm running 31 year YOM plates on my 31 roadster

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342623601.098154.jpg

It depends on the year the title says so if maybe you can take a picture of the engine block if it's from the 50's then you can maybe title it in the fifties then once you have the title you can register it with the fifties plate remember you might need 2 plates too register .
    They didn't need the plates there just a picture of them and mine where reconditioned which is a plus.