Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures two speeds in impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66Rosola, Jan 10, 2010.

1. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

that car will be more fun with a th350 over the Glide...especially from a dig. But thats about it. The Glides are hard to beat for reliablity. They stay together forever with a decent trans cooler

2. One would need to ensure that they have the short tailshaft TH350 for the easiest swap. The longer tailshaft TH350s were also commonly found in later cars, so saying "get one from a car" isn't a sure bet.

The Powerglides had different lengths depending up year and application, as well. So really, one needs to know exactly what they have before they start buying parts for the swap.

3. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

4. 66Rosola

66Rosola
    from Adel, Ia

thanks for all this info i'm probably going to just cruise and go to school and back after i get my permit. no plans on going real fast just low n' slow ;)

5. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

3W had it right, the final drive ratio of all transmissions is 1:1. Overdrive transmissions have a lower number, "less than 1" which means a higher gear ratio. One of the noteable features of the P.G. is that it uses very little h.p. compared to other automatic transmissions. P.G. also seemed to have more "slip" which increased torque. The more speeds a transmission has allows for a lower "low" gear which will give more torque from a stop. Here is a link which explains gear ratio's for different transmissions.
    http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/trans.htm

6. 66Rosola

66Rosola
    from Adel, Ia

I don't really have any real plans for the car just get the brakes worked out and make shur all the major components gone throu like check the replace the oil and switch the spark plugs for the dimoned fire plugs.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

To add to your post, the 49-52 cast iron PG's were two speed boxes, but did not shift from low to drive automatically when in DR. 1953 was the first year for the automatic shift PG's.

The main issue with the 57 and 58 Turboglides were the cone clutches. They held fine if the shift into DR or R was with the car stopped, then driven. But if the shift was with the car moving, even very slowly, the cone clutches could not hold, therefore the clutches being replaced with disc type clutches.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Good reference material!:cool:

9. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i like the 3 speed auto, with a floor shifter , more gears too bang

10. 66Rosola

66Rosola
    from Adel, Ia

i agree with you about the floor shifter but sadly i've got a colum shifter:(