Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two post lifts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by itsmeb, Aug 7, 2012.

1. itsmeb

itsmeb

Anyone had any experience installing a two post lift. I bought a Dannamar 10AC and am at the point of anchoring the post to the concrete. I am not sure how well the anchor bolts work, but it has a sleeve that eventually spreads over a flared end of the bolt and jam it in the hole. It looks to me like the bolt would rise up out of the hole a good bit before the washer pressed the sleeve down enough to jam it, unlass I am not understanding how it works.

Any guidence?:confused:

2. Tons of info on this subject on the Garage Journal.

3. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Did you get Red Head bolts? Those things are awesome. You're probably looking at what, 1/2" or 9/16 for those posts? I'll tell you what, if you drill the right sized hole, you'll end up cutting the bolt down before you ever get it out of the concrete. Make sure they're where you wanted them in the first place.

4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Use a hammer drill to drill the size hole needed for the anchors through the concrete, I went 5" into my slab. Back the nut off to near the top of the anchor so you have the max amount of the bolt going into the slab, then hammer it into the hole. Tighten the nut and the wedge will catch and anchor the bolt, then tighten down the nut. Those wedge bolts work great, super strong, I used them when I installed my rotary 2 post lift.

5. itsmeb

itsmeb

No the bolts don't have a redhead and they require a 3/4 bit. Thanks for the help, I'm going to give it a shoot this Saturday.

6. ebfabman

ebfabman

The Mohawk system 1 two post lift I bought came with 3/4 anchors. They're beefy but I didn't use them. I made brackets then poured 8 inches w/ #5 rebar enforced 5000psi concrete over them and bolted the lift to the floor when it cured.

7. If they're this type, do as instructed in post #4. If you are pre installing the bolts before you install the lift, be sure to put an appropriate sized spacer on the bolt before pounding it into the hole. You only get one chance with these cinch anchors. Set it too deep and you're SOL
    I'm retired from construction and have installed about a million of them (give or take half a dozen)

Attached Files:

8. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Yes, drill the required depth hole, then tap the bolt into it til it bottoms out, smack sharply with a hammer to "set" it, and now put on washer, nut and tighten

[​IMG]

9. BratRod

BratRod

When ever I have installed these type of anchors I have always made sure to drill clear through the slab or at least an inch or so deeper then the slab. That way if you want to remove them you can just bang them down through the floor and patch. To avoid mounting them too deep just put the lift in place and put them in through the lift with the nut and washer already on. You shouldn't hit then without the nut on anyway because if you mess up the threads its time for a new fastener.

10. I would avoid drilling through the slab as this could eventually cause the bolt to rust and possibly fail. Granted, it would take a long time, but it why invite disaster. The depth of the hole in unimportant as long as it is enough to allow the bolt to go in far enough to leave enough threads showing to get the nut, washer and the part being bolted onto the bolt. I always wrap a piece of tape on the drill bit at a height equal to the length of the bolt

11. cagedruss

cagedruss

I did my own a few years ago in my shop. I went to fastenal and bought the appropriate redhead fasteners.

Drill a test hole to measure the depth of the concrete. It is very important that you do not punch through the concrete. The bolts need to be in correct to anchor right. Also use the appropriate epoxy, mix as directed, squirt into the hole and place fastener.

Here is a video. Might help you out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoWacRB7Pc

12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Ditto here installed a bunch of machines with these and did it the same way.

13. itsmeb

itsmeb

I installed everything this weekend. My cement slab is not level, so I shimmed the post and got them pretty much level, however when I lock the right and left carrage in the first lock position I have 5/8 " diffetence in height. Should I have any problems?