Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Two Lane Blacktop Revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CONNMAN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

thanks.,,.id like to use the original style rad if i can find an alloy one thats the same,,.

2. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

hey connman.,you got any real rare pics you could post on here from tlb,. im also looking for the radio spots,..,lovin your stories on this..

3. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

yeh it gets some looks for sure! when its on open headers among the daily euro boxes on our roads.,.,bit like walking down the street naked i guess..

4. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

@Bullitrob: Welcome and WOW from Germany! What a machine! THE car of all cars for me! I'm jealous, but in a good way!! U'r a hero! ! !

I'm still workin' on it. One of my 55's should get this treatment also. Still has a smallblock in and a M21, but needs it's nose higher soon, and the rest also more like my dream car. Here's a vid of it, no photos able to post at the moment as my computer is f...

you might like it also I hope.
    Would love to check u'r car out for real someday as England ain't that far ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/KillbillySpeedshop#p/u/3/37LU9MMWkq4

Cheers to all TLB fans. The coolest movie ever. With Dennis Wilson beeing probably the coolest styler ever!

My other '55 might be familar, as it was featured in Dean and Matt's DICE Magazine. A Nomad-ElCamino with old flame paint from the 60's

5. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

thought id post some of the filler in trunk floor,.im sure its in the correct place as its right above the frame rail,.heres how we made mine work,.
    The first pic shows the hole cut into the trunk floor of the number 2 TLB original car.,the other 2 pics are of mine..

Attached Files:

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

rob from da U K ; do you have the proper flip gas cap ?? if not ,,the one used in the movie was from a Jet or a V-Drive Hi Perf BOAT ,, Richard Ruth's best friend owned a Boat Shop close by ,,Richard bought a lota neet stuff for the TLB '55's from him ,,the Hydralic Throttle linkage for the tunnel ram was from a drag boat ,as was the steering wheel with the stainless steel ,,not chrome ,, three hole spokes ,,
    nice werk on that gas filler ,,Richard Ruth will be proud when he sees that ,,
    Radio pic ???
    b

7. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

hey con,you ok dude.,., yeh its got a flip open cap.,il put a pic up t,morrow of it,im realy interested in the throttle linkage,any pics? links? my steering wheel is an old gasser one,not sure of the make but its a 3 hole one...mines on a quick relese boss joined to a race column,you got any unplublished pics you could pm me to my email,[email protected] as im resaly interested in all the behind the scenes stuff., my next project after i finish some customers cars wil be a 70 gto with keystones,.it will probly just run a small block chev with a th350,,.ive got the rolling body just no time to start it right now.

radio spots are from the 7" record,.i want a copy,,i did ask walt but he never got back to me,.

8. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

check out the angle of that 4 link,you could never back that up over a sidewalk,..,i wanted mine that way but i would never of got it in my driveway.,Even though its been restored as it was in AG its pure D,N,A is TLB!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Rob from the U K ;;; put in the DVD of the movie ,,go to the scene where the Mechanic is changing the number one spark plug along the side of the hi-way,,freeze frame that ,,look at the base of the front carb ,,that little thing hanging down from the throttle arm is the hydralic actuater part of the linkage ,,back then ,,that was a common thing for drag boats and dragsters/funny cars ,,still in use today on super comp diggers & alky funny cars and hi perf boats,,,,
    i tried to find a still pic of that scene ,but no luck ,,

10. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

ive studied it before but never knew it was hydraulic peice of kit,,pretty neat hah,.would be intesting to see how they rigged it up,.i noticed walt aint running one on the No2 car.,nor alloy heads come to think of it,not unless they been shot over in orange,,.i thought the motor was red in the flick,.typical hot rod thing back in the day painting an engine red,.we did it here as well.,
    bitchin car no matter what colour the motor is though,,hes a lucky guy.,even better now MR ruth has injected his D,N,A back into it after that beautifull front clip he made for the movie had been replaced with a camaro one. oh boy what were they thinking!...i wonder what it drives like,.,.,mines faultless.,no bump steer.,steering returns to center even at the lowest speeds after the tightest of turns,.if youve got any behind the scenes pics id love to see em.,

11. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

This is some good stuff here ... I really liked the scene at the burger joint when they come upon the hemi cuda and thought better and moved on . lets see more thanks.

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Rob from da U K ;;,,Walt isn't using the hydralic throttle linkage ,,since the main actuater for it goes under the gas pedal inside ,then a solid line going to the piece on the front carb,,,he's keeping it simple with mechanical linkage,,
    back in the late '70's i ran a similar set-up on my twin Gale Banks Turbo'd 454 w' two 750 Holleys in my Biesemeyer 21 foot jet boat ,,much easier to do on a boat with the motor 10-12 feet behind the drivers seat ,,
    I reckon there's only so much you can do to replicate the movie TLB '55,,some things just have to be excluded ,,BUT,,,if you want that throttle linkage ,,pick up a copy of 'Hot Boat" magazine ,,check out the ads in it ,,you can buy it from those Hi Performanc Boat dealers ,,not cheap tho ,,even over here ,,

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

In the TLB paper back ,,it says they passed on that Hemi 'Cuda because they'd already waxed one ,and didn't think it would be any competition ,,nor a money maker ,since back then ,those street Hemi's only ran in the 12's ,,and the TLB '55 was a mid 10 second car ,,they were looking for sumthing that would race for " Thee Yards Muther Fucker" competition ,,lol,,lol,,

14. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

heres how mine runs.,nice n simple but i like the sound of the hydraulic system,.i think a hydraulic clutch system could be used,.theres also a company called CNC that make em,.,im gona have to look into this as i wanted mine the same as the movie car,.

Attached Files:

15. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

all we gotta do is rope one,..,
    i think ive found somthing.,its a 32 ford,.its got a 427 in it.,those are carter carbetters & 11" of rubber on the rear,.

16. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Thats better than sayin the sun was in their eyes lol , must have hit a nerve what with the mf thing .:D

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Here's a pic of Walts TLB '55 engine ,,everything is correct 'cept for the throttle linkage ,,,you might wanna change out that top radiator hose ,,oh ,,and thats James Taylor looking on at a receint show ,,
    bill
    [​IMG]

18. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Talk about talk for the movie ,,,>>>that is a '32 Chevy ,,had four Rochester 2GC's on a Man-A-Fre intake and 'cept for maybe the oil dipstick location ,,there was no way the mechanic knew it was a 427 ,,not a 396 ,,

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

BTW; that Green '32 Chevy is still alive & well residing in Sante Fe New Mexico ,altho painted blue now and turned into a show car ,,it's still owned by the guy that leased it to the studio ,and drove it in the movie ,,,AND ,,,it did have a 427 in it ,,he also owns the Hippie Van the "Girl" got out of when she got into the '55 when the "Guys" were at that resturant ,,,,

20. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

no alloy heads., wrong tunel ram although ive since seen pics with the correct type.,no green fan,,front coils should be chrome.,all things that might now have been put right,.,.thats the style radiator i want ,.but in alloy.,i tried to stay away from new carbs.,new chrome bumpers.,as i wanted the weatherd look all over,.didnt make much sence having all that new the making the paint look dirty.,my top hose is the same but it runs into the only rad i had at the time.,i guess thats the case when walt did this resto,.but in time all the parts show up here,n,there....im sure he will only add to this amazing car.,,.,detals are the thing that can make or break a resto.,or even a clone,,since my car has the race numbers on the windows i guess its only right it should wear a white licence plate,.like the one wilson removes from the car in boswell.,but the million dollar question is,..,did it have green letters or black??? any one know? lol,.

21. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

yeh ive seen the thread on it,.chromo sexual wheels from floyd cotterpin.,i almost threw up when i saw the pics, shame the gto wernt put back to its movie trim instead of a stock gto.,

22. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Connman the whole movie was A/GAS I need to watch it again I forgot about the 32 ford that was great .:)

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well; i see you have a dual chambered master cyl ,,the TLB '55 had a stock single chambered Master Cyl ,,Walt says his Tunnel Ram and the Carbs are correct ,,i can't say right or wrong on that ,,what carbs are you running ?? the cfm or number on the choke towers,,ALSO ,,did you make your hedders ?? they are a little different from Richard Ruths ,,BUT !!! don't touch yours ,they look GREAT !!

24. Brahm

Brahm

Jenkins was known for being a racer, for building fast cars.. not for designing he wasn't an artist, he wasn't roth. That scoop looks like shit.

Say what you want about me "not getting it", and maybe I don't get the movie, but I have a drawer full of pink slips, and enough time behind the wheel racing on/off the track myself to not care. All i'm saying is I prefer how the car looked in AG. I never said I liked AG the movie better. Take it as that.. You may like it, I've watched it a few times, I own a copy, and I can definitively say it's a neat piece of nostalgia, fun to fall asleep to... ...but out side of that it's not making it on my top 100 greatest movies of all times list

..on a side note, I never claimed AG acting was great so why you would attempt claim that I did is beyond me, regardless of the acting in AG. The car looks better in that movie, and the acting in TLB is still awful.

:)

25. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

mine are 660 holleys. i couldnt get richard ruth to make me headers "i did ask" but he said he had an agreement with walt that no tlb replica parts were to be made while walt was restoring his car,so i bought a set off ebay over here,.they looked similar so for now they will do,.but yeh id love the right ones,richard did say that once walts car is done they might start to sell tlb conversion kits.,ie the coplete front end kit,,.anyway ive since found someone over here that will copy the correct ones for me,,.as for the master clyinder,.i thought long.,n.,hard over this.,with the london traffic being like new york.,a wodden feeling pedal.,ect ect i went the duel circuit brake route,.,.beleve me theres plenty of idiots that pull out in front of yah over here right at the last second,.,Theres still loads id like to do to it.,id like to make the flat plastic rear windsheild held in with screws which will be the next thing over the comming winter.,the hydraulic throttle set up is somthing im looking into,.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  26. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

i thought the acting in tlb was spot on,,warren oats was ace.,wilson only said what he needed to.,so did james,lurie the girl played a dumb hippy kid which she played well,,.as for AG it was also cool in its own right,.totaly differnt film.,totaly differnt people,.totaly differnt situation set some 15 odd yrs prior to TLB., i think both movies deserve full marks.,the only conection realy between the two flicks is the 55,.which carried its D,N,A into AG from TLB. in my opinion i think when the 55 was in AG it looked like a real HARD car.,where as in TLB it was made to be a poor mans racer,.no frills.,which lets face it.,they got it bang on with the grum lump scoop,.200s wheels,ratty paint,,even the cast wore shagged clothes,the whole thing fitted the scene 100% as did the same car when used in AG.,both flicks were well writen,.well cast.,& are both loved still to this day,,nothing t,day comes close. id like to build a AG clone if i had the time & another 55 sitting in the workshop,.

27. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,if you don't like TLB ,,why are you even reading this thread ?? if you don't like it ,,,don't read it ,,BTW; i have "Time Slips" from 1957 ,,been street / drag racing for over 50 years ,,but i only have "Pink Slips" for the cars /motor home i have now ,,"A Drawer Full Of Pink Slips" ??? what from ,? racing cross country ? ,how old are you ??? What's your Cars you've had over the last 50 years ,,??? what are you driving now ?? ,,
    if you're gonna put us TLB fans down ,,lets see what you have to back it up ,,

28. Brahm

Brahm

I never started off by putting anybody down, I still haven't. (Although the abuse of commas in this thread is giving me headache) Really what is,, is with,, typing,, like,, this,,, I don't,,,,,, understand,,,,,,,,,,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., what you are,.,.,.,., trying to .,.,.,.,.,.,.convey,.,.,.,.,,,,,,

My original post only stated one thing. I liked how the car looked better in AG, then TLB. You guys got in a tissy and started personally attacking me.

If you want to see what a race, look at my previous posts, but it no more hamb friendly then the GTO. Since I've been racing the same car since I was 16, yes I have all or as many of the slips from as I haven't lost. (Time slips, not pink) but I'll forgive you for one of the 50,000 commas you use if you disregard my typo.

29. too much drama will get a great thread closed

30. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

both cars look good,.has anyone got any behind the scenes pictures of TLB they can post on here that havnt been posted already...