Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Two Lane Blacktop Revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CONNMAN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Here's a pic of the resto of the TLB no 2 car ,,the coils aint on the shocks yet ,,Speedway has most of the parts ,and can help with the QA-1 adjustable coil overs ,the right weight of the coils etc ,,,BUT ,,You gotta do a LOT of measuring and welding to do this ,,IT AIN'T A EASY DEAL TO DO ,,
    [​IMG]

2. jstahemi

jstahemi

A few pictures from the "YORK REUNION" a few years back compliments of the HEMI-ITIS ARCHIVES:rolleyes::cool:

Attached Files:

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

thanks jstahemi;;; ,,,neet pics n referance stuff,,gosh guys ,has it really been 40 yesars since TLB came out ??? wQw !!! how the time has flown by ,,,kinda like a roll of toilet paper ,,slow at first ,,then the closer you get to the end ,,the faster that roll dissapears ,,kinda like life ,,and tri-5 Chevys ,,,

4. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

my grandfather told me the paper roll and life thing too!

5. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

Don't know if its been said here yet but, I heard rumor once that the TLB/AG 55 was tape recorded and used to dub the T/A in Smokey and the Bandit.

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

C/Gas55;; Yes,,,that is true ,,not only Smokey & Da Bandit ,but also one of the TLB '55's was used in a couple cop n robbers T V shows,,mainly the one about the L A Motorcycle Cops,,can't remember the name ,,too early i guess ,,my brain ain't woke up yet ,,lol,lol,

7. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

The TLB '55 was in a scene or two on ,C.H.I.P.S.,,,the T V Show about So Cal Motorcycle cops ,,

8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Really?!? Were Ponch and John trying to run him down on the PcH?

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

No,,the '55 was parked in an alley ,,hiding out ,,the cops were looking for street racers that had a crash the nite before ,,and proceeded to arrest the guy in the TLB '55,,they didn't show it runnin' down the street tho ,,just parked ,,

10. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Sometime back ,,there was a pic of that scene posted on the TLB site,,i'll see if i can find it ,,

11. I think that it was "ADAM 12", I don't recall it being on chips?

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

1320GASSER; YES ,,that secene WAS on Adam12 ,,thanks for correcting my old memory ,,i'll try n find the pic of it ,,,BUT ,the TLB '55 was in a scene on CHIPS too ,,,
    thanks again ,,your memory is better than mine ,,lol,,lol,,

13. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I think it was the summer of 1964 that I first met Jay and Buck, it was at US 13 Dragway in Delmar, DE. They lived in Cambridge, MD and I was about 15 miles away in Easton.

Jay was the "stunt" driver in the race scenes. After he returned home from the filming, he applied for unemployment compensation. The official asked "What do you do?" and Jay replied "I'm a stunt driver. I checked at McDonalds, A&P, etc. and none of them need a stunt driver."

Last year I met Walt at York and told him a few stories that Jay had told me and I promised to try to have Buck with me this year. It was a great trip! Buck joined fellow Jr. Stock racer Tim Bishop and I and we traveled together for a couple days. Buck was really excited to see old friends and to meet Walt. The show program had a full page photo of their hauler that was used to take their '55 Sedan Delivery & '57 Wagon, Brad Watkins' '57 and Alex Jarrell's '56 to the US Nationals in 1968. Below is a photo of Buck showing the photo to Bill Jenkins, the Grump built their engines.

Here is a photo I took of Buck and Walt with an unpublished photo of Jay that Walt wanted Buck to have. I suggested that I video Buck telling stories abut the movie making and Jay. That will have to be my next "major" project.

Attached Files:

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

TMcCrea;; Thanks for posting that ,,that pic of the Wheatly Bros Hauler is really somethin' ,,i'll bet there ain't many guys on here that's seen that many Drag Wagons & Deleveries in one place ,,yet alone all on the same trailer ,,kQQl !!

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

The No 2 Camera '55 doing in car shots ,,notice ,it's being towed by that truck ,,the square tubing welded to the frame to hold the camera platforms are still on Walts '55 ,,
    [​IMG]

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

here's the No 1 TLB '55 in an alley in a scene from Adam 12 ,,the GTO was in scenes of Baretta and Banecek before it disappeared ,,
    [​IMG]

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

7 or 8 years ago ,,on the old TLB Web Site ,,one of the members started a trivia contest ,,lasted several weeks ,,each week he'd ask several questions ,you had to watch the movie a bunch of times just to be able to figure out the answers ,,like ,,how many Coke signs are there ? ,how many Fords are there ? what kinda car is on the outside lift at the gas station in Boswell,OK,?,and on n on ,.,5 questions a week for several weeks ,,
    the Coke question ,,if you watched the movie on VHS ,,you got one number ,,if on DVD ,you got a different number ,,lotsa Coke signs on the edges of the DVD's,,then,,how many Fords in the Movie ,,None ,,
    So ,,why wasn't there any Pepsi Signs ,,Why no Fords and really ,,why no James Talor or the BeachBoys music ,,AND ,,it was 1970 when it was filmed ,and Led Zepplin and Pink Flloyd was on the top of the AM Radio Charts ,,but in TLB ,they played old music fromthe 50's & early '60's ,,why was that ?? how come no SS Chevelles ?? 'Cept for the Bardahl 'Vette ,,there was only that GTO ,,then ,,why did the driver wear that "Olive Drab Army Green" T-Shirt in the Middle of the War in Veitnam ??? was he and the Mechanic Draft Dodgers ?? or just Street Racers tryin' to make a few bucks to get back East and buy some new BB parts ??? Lotsa questions un answered ,,lotsa reasons for a 'Part 2" ,,but ,,it'll never happen now ,,,HOWEVER !!! there is talk about doing a TLB Part 2 by several people in the know ,just rumbleings so far ,,
    stay tuned ,,

18. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

You are correct, it was ADAM 12. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it!

19. the worst thing they could do is make a TLB part 2, it would be ruined with the ricer influence.......

20. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

1320GASSER; yes ,,i agree with that ,,but ,,a big but ,,if they set it in a 1973-4or 5 time frame ,,the ricer crap wouln't be there ,,using Walts original TLB '55 ,,and a look alike GTO that the guys won ,,and sold for the parts money they needed ,,then ,racin' their way back to Calif ,,That Would Sit Right With Me ,,how 'bout YOU ???

21. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

1320 GASSER; they might need some extras for the remake ,,i could be the old fart at the gas station ,,"You Make Those Hedders ? looks Like A lota Werk " ,,,or shoot ,,one a the Indians ,,"Dumb Fuck" in Indian Talk ,,, at least i'd get a new shirt like they did ,,,,lol,,lol,

22. Im thinkin that its modern day and "drivers"son with mom "hippie chick" both (doa) finds the car in storage and decides to try it racin again cause he's burned out on the jap crap ricers and wants to get back to the heart of street racing and meet the LA guys that knew his pop in the day.so runs east to west rollin down I40/RT66..my version...............

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Hey Meatball; that sounds pretty good ,,maybe we can play the old fart street racers that knew the old man ,,and can help getting the '55 running after being in storage for so many years ,,??? Hey ,,write the movie script and see where it might go ,might male you a few bucks ,,i'll write mine too ,,
    Heck,,Three Yards Ain't Nuthing This Day n Age ,,Whats slang for Three Grand ?? Thirty Yards,,??LOL,LOL,

24. that would be perfect but you know they will screw with the original story line and bring it into modern day...........

25. well yeah they would,face it TLB is kinda a cult movie and it didnt do shit for profits when it came out..........So yeah they gotta do something to make it marketable.This could do great with the right script-storyline and the right guys on the project,and still have a draw for the gearhead guys/chicks......hell look at the original fast and the furious.it kinda sucked too............

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Yes ,,just like they screwed up John D McDonalds books of Travis McGee when they tried to make a T V Series of it ,,wrong star ,,wrong boats ,,wrong wrong story line ,,didn't follow the book stories at all ,lasted about 3 or 4 weeks ,,i have ALL of the Travis McGee paper backs and have read all of em ,,i couldn't believe how the stupid idiots in Hollywood could screw up a good thing ,,
    yep,,they could screw up a good movie 'bout a '55 Chevy ,,

27. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

There's all kinds of hi-dollar movies now ,about War,,Romance,,Dumb Stuff ,,but NO Car Movies ,,not even anything like Star Wars ,,
    speakin' about Star Wars ,,if you're a fan of those movies ,,look close at the background in the space ships ,,you'll see stuff from Grafitti ,,fuzy dice hangin' in a room ,,one of the "Tail" I D Numbers of a space ship is the license plate number of the Duece Coupe in Grafitti ,and of coarse ,,the star driving the '55 in Grafitti ,,his very first movie ,,is one of the stars in Star wars ,,interesting ,,

28. they would ruin tlb if they did a remake or part 2 just look what they did with gone in 60 seconds and the dukes of hazard

howd ya all like to see a CGI version of the 55 getting in a race and jumping over 200 feet accross a raviene and rolling a couple times and still winning the race thats about what the brain dead "writers" in hollywood would come up with

they need to leave ALL the old movies where they are and come up with some original ideas for new movies

29. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

57 ford / 60 t-bird; yep your prawley right ,,,but ,,if us guys wrote the screen play / script,,i think it would werk ,need hot rodders to do it ,,chances of that happining are slim to none ,,,

30. this would be the PERFECT movie for Kurt Sutter to do between tv seasons (Sons of Anarchy) he could give it the edge and retain the soul needed to make it real to the gearhead and the masses at the same time............